LegacyGT.com

Weak windshield washer

My windshield washer used to spray about halfway up the windshield. Now it only sprays up a few inches. Not cool in the winter. I cleaned corrosion from the connector at the pump, checked the voltage there (12.0, fine), checked the hose for pinch points, blew it out with compressed air, replaced the fuse, and finally replaced the pump. I used an aftermarket pump, which required me to cut off the stock connector and rewire, thus eliminating remaining connector corrosion from the equation. Nothing made any difference. I'm wondering if maybe the circuit, though pushing proper voltage, can no longer handle the current required.

Anyone seen this?

• 1 year later...
Sigh, a cracked hose was dumping half the fluid on the hood liner. Inexcusable that it took me so long to find it. I suck.

Just wanted to say thanks for this - really helped me narrow down my search. I had the same issue last week with my '05 (115k miles, NorCal, so heat, not cold, causing the aging). The hose going from the 1st to the 2nd nozzle/sprayer literally ripped in two as I turned it a little to see if there was a tear (after seeing a bit of water seep down).

Symptoms: water was only spraying 4-6 inches up the windshield, and only 1/2 sprayers on the back (wagon hatch) were producing any water.

6' of 5/32" ID Prestone brand hose from Kragen (like $4.xx) later, and it's all good. 6' of hose was about 12-16 inches more than needed to replace everything under the hood (starting from the 90-degree elbow at the edge). I replaced every piece, including the ones going to the nozzles, etc.

The "mist" option (pulling on the stalk, instead of pushing the button) seems to have mysteriously stopped working, but pushing the button works better than it ever has..

Pulling on the stalk isn't supposed to mist, it just gives you a single swipe of the blades. All is well.

Yeah, I forgot about that somehow. The difference between "I need wipers, brain just does it" and "now, let me think about exactly how I use the wipers and test to make sure that everything is working as it should".

Thanks for the reminder :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I think I ahve the same problem at least with the pressure of the pump. Haven't had a day to look under the hood to see if there's a leak or if the motor and pump are going out.

If it is the motor and pump what exactly do I need to replace it all? Found this stuff, is it just parts 16 & 17 that I need or do I only need one of them?

http://www.subarupartsamerica.com/parts/2008/SUBARU/Legacy/GT%20spec.B?siteid=216122&vehicleid=201802&diagram=7524430&diagramCallOut=16

Thanks.

• 5 years later...
Just wanted to say thanks for this - really helped me narrow down my search. I had the same issue last week with my '05 (115k miles, NorCal, so heat, not cold, causing the aging). The hose going from the 1st to the 2nd nozzle/sprayer literally ripped in two as I turned it a little to see if there was a tear (after seeing a bit of water seep down).

Symptoms: water was only spraying 4-6 inches up the windshield, and only 1/2 sprayers on the back (wagon hatch) were producing any water.

6' of 5/32" ID Prestone brand hose from Kragen (like $4.xx) later, and it's all good. 6' of hose was about 12-16 inches more than needed to replace everything under the hood (starting from the 90-degree elbow at the edge). I replaced every piece, including the ones going to the nozzles, etc.

The "mist" option (pulling on the stalk, instead of pushing the button) seems to have mysteriously stopped working, but pushing the button works better than it ever has..

bringing this from the dead because I am having same problems. and I saw the mist on the stick and pulled it too think it might mist maybe? Took a few second before I realized, other cars have the single wipe too.