LegacyGT.com

Is the 4th Gen too old now to be reliable?

I really like the 4th gen, but the ones I find reasonably priced are high in miles and at the end of the day, even a low miles LGT will have reliability issues coming from the fact that an 05 is now a 10 year old car.

Has anyone had any experiences buying a 100k+ LGT recently without any major issues?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you want reliability get a non-turbo car, regardless of age they put more strain on the internals which when it comes to rings and seals and turbos LGTs are known for issues just like any other turbo car. That being said I bought my 08 Spec.B with 96k, she currently has 126k on the original block and turbo. I feel I'm pretty lucky and I'm counting the days I can continue to say that.

My 2005 LGT wagon has been basically trouble free in all 10 years I've owned it.

Sitting at almost exactly 100K miles as of today.

No turbos blown, no shortblocks replaced. The only thing that needed replacement was the clutch about 4 years ago, a fuel injector 18 months ago, and a loose transmission bearing that was covered under warranty about 7 years back.

I did just replace the rear brakes (1st time in 10 years) and timing belt 2 months ago, but that was needed, and regular wear and tear maintenance.

It's been a champ.

I will be selling it this Spring though, as I need something bigger to fit my growing family.

Nah you're fine buddy... they might take it easy on you because you're new lol

It's Friday, so, 50/50 chance.

Just wait for Tris, then whatever anyone else says will certainly seem nice.

:lol:

As was said -- turbocars of any make, no matter the age, are pretty much unreliable.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable: Pick two.

It all depends on how well the car was maintained, and if it was abused. Besides, what is the replacement for an 05 LGT wagon,(with a few mods) that can do sub 0-60 at 5 seconds,have a top speed of over 150 mph and handle better than a BMW:lol:;)
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Good thing is, the legacy attracts much less attention, to not only law enforcement but buyers as well. All the younger kids that tend to abuse cars, and not take care of them because mommy and daddy bought it, want wrxs and STIs.. with that being said, more LGTs are owned by older, more responsible people (in most cases id say). Either way, do alot of research and get a pre purchase inspection before you purchase any used turbo car, it will be worth its weight in gold if you decide to purchase

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Good thing is, the legacy attracts much less attention, to not only law enforcement but buyers as well. All the younger kids that tend to abuse cars, and not take care of them because mommy and daddy bought it, want wrxs and STIs.. with that being said, more LGTs are owned by older, more responsible people (in most cases id say). Either way, do alot of research and get a pre purchase inspection before you purchase any used turbo car, it will be worth its weight in gold if you decide to purchase

That's exactly why I was interested in the Legacy after my BRZ was totaled.

That being said, my girlfriend's Forester XT has had no problems, but a buddy's WRX has been a nightmare for him (ringland failure). I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm getting myself into. With the BRZ, for instance, I knew not much really could go wrong with such a simple car.

Depends on your definition of abuse. The WRXs and STis might have been fed good fuel and oil and maintained somewhat OK, but then beaten at every turn of the key. Conversely, the "responsible" people that drive/drove LGTs didn't really understand what they had, so it got premium when they remembered, or could afford it, oil changes when they glanced at the sticker on the window and realized they were overdue by <1000mi, and then took it to Jiffy Lube/Stupid Oil & Filter and only occasionally got on-boost during the rare occasion they wanted to pass another vehicle.

It's a wash, in my mind. Good diet and abuse is just the same as poor diet and neglect.

It's Friday, so, 50/50 chance.

:lol:

As was said -- turbocars of any make, no matter the age, are pretty much unreliable.

Cheap, Fast, Reliable: Pick two.

So where would you suggest I find fast and reliable? I can't seem to find sub 40k mile LGTs available. Also, what is reliable for a LGT? For BMW, 100k is typically when they start having major issues (like leaking and burning oil).

So where would you suggest I find fast and reliable? I can't seem to find sub 40k mile LGTs available. Also, what is reliable for a LGT? For BMW, 100k is typically when they start having major issues (like leaking and burning oil).

You're an idiot if you think you're gonna find a ten year old car with under 40k on the clock. Shit, if you even think that's viable, I declare you to be mentally unfit to operate a motor vehicle.

You're an idiot if you think you're gonna find a ten year old car with under 40k on the clock. Shit, if you even think that's viable, I declare you to be mentally unfit to operate a motor vehicle.

You should rephrase this statement to say "10 year old Legacy GT"

There are plenty of old cars with almost no mileage at all and a lot older than 10 years. :hide:

---

Actually there's a few legacy gts/spec Bs around 40k miles or less... if you never check the for sale forums you wouldn't know. But anyways they are pretty rare, and the people selling them are asking way too much money in my opinion. I got lucky and found my 07 with 53k and only 1 previous owner, but it took me 6 months of searching before I found it. And ive put 30k miles on it so far after a year of owning, and no major issues aside from regular maintenence. Anyways read up on this site as much as you can, and take advice that is given if you decide to ask specific questions. You can learn alot, but keep in mind buying a used car is a gamble no matter what make/model it is. Best of luck!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Actually there's a few legacy gts/spec Bs around 40k miles or less... if you never check the for sale forums you wouldn't know. But anyways they are pretty rare, and the people selling them are asking way too much money in my opinion. I got lucky and found my 07 with 53k and only 1 previous owner, but it took me 6 months of searching before I found it. And ive put 30k miles on it so far after a year of owning, and no major issues aside from regular maintenence. Anyways read up on this site as much as you can, and take advice that is given if you decide to ask specific questions. You can learn alot, but keep in mind buying a used car is a gamble no matter what make/model it is. Best of luck!

For instance, this Spec B:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-va-tastefully-modified-2008-subaru-legacy-spec-b-235134.html

I thought it was priced a bit too high, but obviously someone did not. For me, once I'm crossing the 20k threshold, might as well look at a '15 WRX.

Really appreciate the advice, from what I gather is I should look for one with an extensive maintenance history owned by an old person. :lol:

Depends on your definition of abuse. The WRXs and STis might have been fed good fuel and oil and maintained somewhat OK, but then beaten at every turn of the key. Conversely, the "responsible" people that drive/drove LGTs didn't really understand what they had, so it got premium when they remembered, or could afford it, oil changes when they glanced at the sticker on the window and realized they were overdue by <1000mi, and then took it to Jiffy Lube/Stupid Oil & Filter and only occasionally got on-boost during the rare occasion they wanted to pass another vehicle.

It's a wash, in my mind. Good diet and abuse is just the same as poor diet and neglect.

Oh and my definition of abuse is driving like an asshat on a regular basis, not changing oil at the proper time due to driving conditions, taking car to track on the weekends and launching it. Id say everyone has a different definition of abuse, but you can tell by talking to the owner for 5 minutes whether or not the car has been taken care of

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

For instance, this Spec B:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-va-tastefully-modified-2008-subaru-legacy-spec-b-235134.html

I thought it was priced a bit too high, but obviously someone did not. For me, once I'm crossing the 20k threshold, might as well look at a '15 WRX.

Really appreciate the advice, from what I gather is I should look for one with an extensive maintenance history owned by an old person. :lol:

All used cars are owned by old people, didn't you know that?

I have an 05 with 73K on it. Owned it for the past 5 years. Biggest job has been valve clearance adjustment needed on driver side. Other than that, it's been OK..

I bought an 06 10 months ago. It had 121k and is a stage 2+ :eek:. Funny thing is the 06 hardly burns any oil compared to the 05 (barely a 1/4 quart per 3750 miles). I am at 131k now. Running great, but been getting a misfire in #2 now :). Though it may be related to my timing belt that slipped 3 teeth about 4 months ago.. Comp/Leakdown test planned soon..

MY Spec.B has the same, barely 1/4 quart burned per 3.5-4k oil changes and I'm at 126k on all original stuff, aside from all the belts and seals. But I've yet to run a compression check, who knows I may by in the same boat as OBXT and have one cylinder leaking 80% compression.

Archived