LegacyGT.com

Rear camera input on 5th-Gen HUs w/ 4.3" screen (PE627U1, PE658U1, PE438L1, PE669U1)

SVXdc

What about the Reverse wire for the camera?

I have the 2014 with manual trans. Is it still a Light BROWN\YELLOW (+) pin 6 wire in the driver kick panel in the white 13 pin connector?

Thanks!

Rusty

What about the Reverse wire for the camera?

I have the 2014 with manual trans. Is it still a Light BROWN\YELLOW (+) pin 6 wire in the driver kick panel in the white 13 pin connector?

[Let me point out that Samets is transplanting a PE669U1 in place of his car's factory CE617U1. People whose cars had one of the Panasonic display HUs factory-installed already have the reverse gear signal present on the factory 28-pin harness.]

In 2014 Legacy and Outback, the factory color is still BROWN/YELLOW. Subaru has used that across many models and years.

You can download very helpful diagrams here.

Look at the pages for "Back-up Light System" and "Rear Wiring Harness". The latter shows approximate locations of connectors.

In your 2014, the place where you probably want to grab the reverse signal is pin #2 on harness connectors i154 and R332, located behind the passenger kickpanel.

As for cameras, there are many, many different ones available. The most important thing (assuming good quality) is one that looks good to you mounted on your car. Most are very small.

Some other features to look for:

* Works from 6 Volts. Many do. If you use one that does, you can power it from the HU's 6V lead. Ideally you would also want a camera that has a power wire that runs to the HU end of its long video cable. However, if your camera requires more than 6V, you can still power it from the 12V reverse gear circuit.

* Has a very small plug on the segment of the cable that comes out of the camera. Many have a standard male RCA plug and a typical coaxial DC power connector. Those will require a larger hole to pass through to get into the car. Other cameras have a micro-sized 4-pin connector that is barely larger than the diameter of the video cable. Those are much easier to thread through a smaller hole or existing wire conduit.

* Does not have parking guide lines (or has a way to turn them off), since the HU adds its own lines.

Before you install any camera (and especially before you drill holes, cut wires, slice things open, glue, etc.), TEST YOUR CAMERA! You want to make sure:

1. It's not dead out of the box,
  2. It will work with your HU the way you were planning to wire it, and
  3. You will be able to mount it (and angle it, if adjustable) such that it provides a picture that is right side up, mirrored horizontally (as if you were looking in a mirror), and gives the view you wanted (not too much bumper and pavement or too much sky).

If there are any problems, you want to be able to return the camera without having to spend hours extracting it from your car. And your next camera may require different mounting holes.

Edited by SVXdc

It will work with your HU the way you were planning to wire it, and

I just wish there was a way to adjust the parking assist lines on the HU (PE627U1); they are off-center to the right. You can adjust Brightness, Contrast & Language, however, by pushing in the Scroll/Tune button on the right when the camera image pops up.

Any opinions on wireless camera adapters from ebay?

Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251359180588

I thought, a wireless adapter can be mounted entirely inside the trunk/hatch lid, and powered from the reverse lights. That would eliminate having to run wires through the grommets between the trunk lid and the body, and all the way to the HU.

Edited by error

Any opinions on wireless camera adapters from ebay?
Should work fine - Rydeen makes something along these lines as well. If your car is not pre-wired (seems like many are - I had a '14 Premium as a rental and it was pre-wired just like my 2012), then it's easier than fishing a harness back from the front of the car. (the caveat on the eBay system is that it's of unknown quality - could be good, could fail shortly...)

To me, I don't see the point in spending the extra money for something when you'll still be doing the same amount of wiring. All it is doing is eliminating the cable run from the front to the back, which was probably the easiest part of the whole install (5 minutes tops if you know what you're doing). Plus, it's just one more part that can potentially stop working or not work at all.

Thanks to SVXdc, I will officially have a backup camera once I buy the camera. Dave sent me a wire to insert into my ground (pin 8), and once I put it in reverse, up comes a screen with the reverse lines! I attached a photo of where I attached the ground incase anyone was interested.

Dave, I attached a pic of the Model No. of my HU for you also.

One last question, does anyone know what the hell that pink plug is for? It's sitting at the bottom of my console when you put your head into where the HU would be and look down (on the left)

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/u3a2ymar.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/upevu6eq.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/yga2uru3.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/uqe7ejys.jpg

Thanks to SVXdc, I will officially have a backup camera once I buy the camera. Dave sent me a wire to insert into my ground (pin 8), and once I put it in reverse, up comes a screen with the reverse lines! I attached a photo of where I attached the ground incase anyone was interested.

I see your parking assist lines are askew to the right just like mine. Either it's a screw-up or it's like that for a reason.

One last question, does anyone know what the hell that pink plug is for? It's sitting at the bottom of my console when you put your head into where the HU would be and look down (on the left)

Looks like a satellite or GPS antenna plug.

Must be nav. My HU has xm/sirius. Nstg8r, i noticed them askew also. I wonder if there is a way to fix this? It also may be that way bc of where the stock camera is placed. Once i get my camera, i'll see what i can find out

Must be nav. My HU has xm/sirius. Nstg8r, i noticed them askew also. I wonder if there is a way to fix this? It also may be that way bc of where the stock camera is placed. Once i get my camera, i'll see what i can find out

My camera is placed exactly where the stock camera would be. That shouldn't make any difference, however.

Maybe it has something to do with viewing it from off-center in the drivers seat.

The text is centered, there is no reason from the code writers perspective why it should be off unless it was inadvertent error or otherwise specified by an engineer.

Edited by GTEASER

Here are some very scientificly measured pics of the offcentered-ness

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/7aju6yhe.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/symana8u.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/08/5ura6u4u.jpg

I see your parking assist lines are askew to the right just like mine. Either it's a screw-up or it's like that for a reason.

It's on purpose. Since the factory position for the camera is to the left side of the car's centerline, the camera's image will be similarly pushed to the left (assuming camera pointed horizontally perpendicular -- straight back).

Now imagine where the camera would show the stripes on a parking space that you were backing straight into (with car's body centered moving into the space). Those lines would appear to be shifted towards the right side of the image. Thus, the HU's parking guide lines attempt to match that location, to tell you how to back in.

The HU should have a function to adjust the lines. We just need to figure out how to access that menu.

Looks like a satellite or GPS antenna plug.

It's a 2nd sat radio antenna cable.

See this thread (posted there, since it isn't about rear cameras, plus I'll be adding additional information there at some point).

This question is bound to come up: How can I view the camera image while I'm not in reverse?...

B) Cut (or, preferably, extract) the factory reverse gear wire from the HU's 28-pin harness. Add a switch so you can select between:

1. Normal operation (car's reverse gear signal connected as it was originally), and
  2. Forced 'on' (send +12V into the HU's input).

I might give this a shot. I have a bunch of mini SPDT On/Off/On switches that would be perfect for this and also give me the ability to turn off the camera entirely.

Anyone know the part number (on mouser or elsewhere) for the pins used in the connector for the trunk cable (the one which pictures were posted of showing the camera wires going that far) to add in the additional terminals going to the camera without having to splice?