LegacyGT.com

Airbag light...sometimes. Console problem?

ok so i took it out, and nothing looks broken or anything?

the specific circuit board for the airbag itself is only 1/2in by 2in with 4 led's on it. looks really simple. can't imagine it costing $100 for it.

there are 7 resistors with numbers on them. i tested them with multimeter and they all check out. none of the circuits/wires are broken either?

now what?

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
ok nevermind i fixed it if anyone cares. i reflowed/resoldered the resistor labeled "511". works like a charm.

This is happening in my Legacy as well:( Where is the #511 resistor located in the above head console or elsewhere?

Not trying to change the subject.... but I did want to mention to OP. that the legacy is an American built car. They are built in Lafayette Indiana.

Glad you got the airbags light fixed... nice that you fixed it yourself by resoldering the resistor.

This is happening in my Legacy as well:( Where is the #511 resistor located in the above head console or elsewhere?

its located in the above head console. disassemble your overhead lights and then your airbag indicator.

• 4 weeks later...
Pics and a walk thru would be nice since I as well have the same issue. its annoying seeing a red airbag light on and different indications on the over head console if it shows anything at all lol.

Sounds like you all have this figured out, but I wanted to throw an alternative cause out there, in case it helps. Had the same problem with the airbag lights, but my issue turned out to be a loose connection in the plug to the airbag lights under the cubby (if you have NAV, this isn't your problem).

At some point when working on the stereo/hvac, I removed the cubby and the connector didn't re-connect fully. About 2 weeks of on/off wierdness and I finally got mad and smacked the cubby... lights went off. So I hit it again, they came back on. Pulled the cubby, made sure everything was connected and I've never had it happen again.

• 1 month later...
I may just be paranoid, but if the light pops up, will I fail inspection? Also, the overhead airbag light quit a couple days ago; it won't turn on whatsoever. I bought and used the MaxiScan OBDII reader and it didn't pick up any codes.

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

• 4 months later...
2008 Outback XT. Airbag light on dash has been on for the past few weeks. On overhead console, "ON" LED was working, but "Passenger Airbag" and "OFF" LED's were not working. Like others, I removed the small circuit board in the overhead console with the 4 LED's and re-flowed/re-soldered the components. That seems to have done the trick. Only takes 10 minutes and it's fairly straight-forward and low-risk.

• 3 weeks later...

You really don't need a walk though but here you go.

Take the panel off when replacing the interior lights.

Remove the screws holding the assembly in.

Remove the cable to the assembly.

Remove the panel from the assembly held in a screw(s).

Touch up the solder.

Edited by Schrei Wolf

I think I may have this same issue with my wife's '11 Outback.

Typically when there is no passenger there will be a "Pass Air Bag" and an "OFF" light illuminated.

This past weekend on 3 occasions I started her car and neither of those lights illuminated. Instead I was treated to the airbag light on the dash, the 'passenger seatbelt unbuckled' light, and the damn dinger dinging every 20 seconds...

On two of the occasions I could get the situation to clear by actuating the main On-Off switching apparatus, but it had to be after 10 minutes - 1 hr of driving. After things warmed up???

PITA

Finally took the circuit board out, add me to the list of problem fixed! I'm sure it was the 511 resistor but I touched all of them up since I had it out and so far so good. It really isn't hard to do, I didn't take any pics because once you look at it it's really straight-forward.

I had that problem too, it was happening on and off. When the car was cold the lights wouldn't work and I would get the Airbag light on the cluster. When the car was warm, no airbag light.

This year -25C (-13F) triggered the problem, but last winter at -50C (-58F) those airbag lights were working fine.

Put more solder on all items on both sides of the LED control board, works good so far.

Found this thread right before it started happening on my car, thanks LGT.com :D

I'm having the same issue with my 2008 Legacy as well (red airbag light on dash, no on or off lights on the overhead console when dash light is on). My situation is also temperature related, the problem seems to occur when the temperature is in the 20 degree F to 35 degree F range. Above and below that don't seem to be problematic.

I'm all thumbs and I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question but here goes: How do you access the circuit board? I'm guessing you pry off the plastic cover over the map lights with a screwdriver but I'd like confirmation or directions from someone who knows what they're doing first.

Also, is the circuit board simple enough to remove and reinstall or have you soldered it in place? I can picture myself lighting the car on fire somehow if I do it myself without guidance.

I'm not too proud to be talked down to in the simplest terms.

Thanks for any help you're willing to provide.

It's pretty easy to get out/back in, just screws holding it in place. I'll try to eplain it from memory: You pry off the clear plastic piece that covers the bulbs, then you'll see a screw on each side towards the front of the car. Take those out and you'll be able to pry off the assembly. There are 2 more screws holding a cover for the board in place, remove those and the board will be free, then you just unplg the gray connector and you can take it out. Hope that helps!