LegacyGT.com

Compendium of Tire Reviews: Please sticky

LawGT

Folks,

I think it's a good idea to have one thread with all tire reviews for our cars, like NASIOC does it. There are tons of reviews in here, but I think the information will be more useful for everyone if it is located in one thread.

Please Sticky so that folks may have all tire info along with Keefe's great Wheel/Tire FAQ. For all posts, please answer the following questions. (I'm still rocking the stockers, so I can't post any helpful info at this time). thanks

#1) What tire are you offering for review (size, model, type (summer, A/s, winter, race, etc), price paid, miles driven on tires, etc):

#2) What is your geographic location:

#3) What types of driving events if any (Track, AutoX, Commute ;), etc):

#4) Percent of highway vs. city driving:

#5) Tires used previously:

#6) Your review and personal comments (Dry, wet, and snow, if applicable. Also, please compare to other tires used):

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have Yokohama AVS ES100s, 225/40/18 Z speed rated (I believe) on 8" wide rims. I paid about $96/tire at Tire Rack here in South Bend, Indiana. They are summer dry/wet tires, unidirectional with a similar tread pattern to Goodyear F1s. I rarely drive highway, mostly crowned two lane urban/rural roads and I use these from April to late October.

I had these tires on my old 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo wagon and on that car they tramlined horrendously, but they are relatively inexpensive high perf tires and I suspected it was the alignment on the Volvo that led to the tramlining. I was right. On the Volvo, they also hydroplaned in relatively small puddles, but not on the Subaru.

They have stiff sidewalls and give the steering a more responsive feel (compared to the stock RE92s, but they weren't too bad in THIS respect). I race karts, so I like quick, responsive steering, and these tires improved that aspect of steering. The stiff sidewalls and low profile do hurt ride quality, but not dramatically compared to the 17" RE92s on the stock suspension. However, on Swift lowering springs, these tires made the ride unbearable for my wife due to the combination of stiffer spring rate and stiff side walls. Secondary roads become a thing to avoid, even for me. Also, the tires do lose alot of grip below 55 degrees or so (espec. when wet) so switch them out to winter ro all season tires b4 too late in fall.

The tires have gotten louder over the first 10,000 miles, but I suspect I had an alignment issue because there is some feathering of the tread, so I suspect that's my fault.

I use the tires for relatively sedate road driving (few fun roads in farm country) but I also autocross them. I'm used to race slicks and lots of grip, and while they are sticky road tires (for the money), they are a lot greasier than I expected, but I haven't autox'd much b4 and don't have much to compare them to. It's easy to induce understeer with too much power (not used to that in karts!), but I can get the rear out, too, so it's all good!

Overall, a good extreme summer dry/wet tire, espec at 1/2 the price of the big boy tires like Goodyear F1, Pirellis, etc.

PS - The car looks like it's a steamroller when these tires are on 8 inch wide wheels! Stretching the tire out on these wheels is responsible for alot of the ride, turn-in characteristics, so if you put them on 7 inch wide wheels, you may loose some of the characteristics I refer to.

#1) Goodyear F1 GS-D3, 215/45-17 XL, Max Summer, $88 ea. + $40 gift card from T/R, ~5K miles so far.

#2) Cowtown, TX., where the West begins and the bu$^#&it ends:)

#3) Does pissing off a Carrera S count as a driving 'event'? If not then strictly non-competitive travels.

#4) At least 80/20, maybe more.

#5) RE92s and Toyo T1Rs.

#6) These tire is GREAT! Much better cornering and braking than either of the other two. I haven't noticed any increase in tire noise as others have noted, but I usually have the tunes cranked so... It's been a real drought here since I bought them so I have almost NO miles in rain but on the rare occasion I did get out in the wet they seemed to be fine. I'll update when I have a chance to push them in the wet stuff. Please note that these are the XL versions so I don't know how much, if any, difference there is performance-wise between these and the SL versions that are currently on sale at T/R.

Wet update: excellent! It poured over the weekend so I went out to check my SS brake line install and do a wet traction test. Great braking performance - I had a hard time getting the ABS to engage. Pretty good hydroplaning performance. Standing water at edge of the road didn't pull the car that direction as badly as other tires, but puddles in the middle of the road tended to bump the car sideways. Great cornering performance. There's a constant radius curve on my test road and I went thru it several times in both directions. My speed was pretty close to my normal spirited pace thru there in the dry with no discernable loss of traction. Bottom line: BUY THESE TIRES!!!

• 2 weeks later...

- Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 in 225/45-17 -

I purchased a set of used OZ SL's with Bridgestone S03's from my Subaru dealer to use for summer (stock wheels got Nokian WR's for winter). I purchased the set in the fall and got them at a great price. However, I didn't mount them until the spring. Once I did mount them, I got a rude awakening. The OZ's were pristine and the S03's had a lot of tread left but they were seriously LOUD and tramlined pretty bad. I drove on them from spring of '06 until early August and decided I couldn't stand them anymore.

To replace them I got the Michelins and what a world of difference. The Michelins are quiet, track well (no tramlining) and are great in the wet. They don't have the ultimate grip the S03's had but they're still a high performance tire. Also, the ride with the Michelins is much better. I'd buy them again.

1. Goodyear Ealge F1 GS-D3 (215/45 ZR17); $88each - Tirerack.com; 10,000 Miles driven; Rotated every 5,000 miles.

2. Northern New Jersey.

3. No driving events.

4. 85% Highway/15% City

5. Bridgestone Potenza RE92

6. These tires are simply amazing! No increase in road noise; accelerating traction, braking traction, and cornering traction are dramatically increased in both wet and dry. I've almost lost control multiple times with the previous RE92s, but with these F1s, i can seriously drive around and take corners a lot harder with 5 times more confidence :) Plus before i got the amazing deal on these tires, i wanted to do a brake upgrade (SS Lines, pads, and fluid).. but with these tires, it turned the "need" into a "want". Probably one of the best modifications :)

^ hal9e3 -

Bro, what's your inflation pressure? hot or cold?

Thanks! :) I'm about 85% convinced, by your post and that of others, that these will be my next set of "summers."

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ hal9e3 -

Bro, what's your inflation pressure? hot or cold?

Thanks! :) I'm about 85% convinced, by your post and that of others, that these will be my next set of "summers."

Uh, at the moment wrong:( Just rotated and forgot to fix the pressures. When they're correct I run 38/36 cold. Alas, it appears that Tire Rack has sold out of the $88 SLs. All they have left is the XLs at $135, which is still not a bad price. Unfortunately the current special is buy 4, get an El Lameo ESPN Prize Pack. If you wait maybe they'll rerun the gift card promo. Regardless I think you'll be very happy with these tires.

^ Thanks for the update, bruddah. :) No worries on "purchase time" - my time-frame is not until this coming Spring.

Thanks again!

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 2 weeks later...

Well, still rollin' on the stock Yokohama's that came on my '06 2.5i SE... They aren't bad, though they could be much better...

Looking for advice for a winter tire... I live in Upstate NY and the winters can get tough... I was looking @ prolly buying a set of 16" steel wheels with some sort of good-for-winter rubber, and then prolly replace the Yokohamas on the stock 17" alloys perhaps this or next spring...

so anyone have advice on a winter tire for my subie in 16 or 17"??? :-)

#1) Toyo T1R 245/45/R-18 Summer Performance Tire

#2) Pennsylvania

#3) Have autocrossed on this tire

#4) 70% highway, 28% city, 2% off road

#5) RE92's Kill Bunnies

#6) This tire is a very good summer tire. Dry handling is great and very predictable. This tire excels in wet weather. I've sought out large puddles and plowed through them at full speed and not a hint of hydroplanning. High speed highway travel in the rain always felt solid and predictable. I have had this tire on dirt roads and gravel. It isn't so great off pavement, but hey, it was never designed for that. It got me from point A to Point B in the dirt no problem and I was never worried about losing control...so long as I didn't do anything stupid. Road noise is minimal but has become slightly louder as the tire wears. Tire noise is still well below exhaust noise. I will most likely buy these again when they wear out.

3/30/07 UPDATE: Put the wheels on the car and noticed I don't have much tread left. I remember hydroplaning resistance not being as good as it used to be at the end of last season. Probably gonna switch to a different tire when these wear out. Very good tire, but I will only get about a season and a quater out of them. Autocrossing on them probly caused the early weardown.

#1) Dunlop WinterSport M3 225/55/R-17 Winter Performance Tire

#2) Pennsylvannia

#3) Mostly on street driving, but I did autocross them once

#4) 70% highway, 25% city, 5% off-road

#5) RE92's Kill Bunnies

#6) These tires are an exceptional balance of of dedicated snow and dry pavement. Dry performance far exceeded that of the RE92's and was extremly predictable. Although the sidewalls are a little soft and there was some squishiness upon turn in. But it was still better than the RE92's. The one time I autocrossed on them, they did fairly well. I also had bubbles in two tires from pothole damage and they held up through the autocrossing. I was quite impressed with their strength. Overall, considering they are dedicated winter tires, dry performance is amazing....and they're speed rated to 130mph. Wet performace was also very solid and assuring, almost on par with the T1R's. Powdery and packed snow were a breeze. Always felt planted on the snow and very pradictable. Ice performance wasn't as good as I had expected, but I guess that is given up for the dry performance. The few times I had them on dirt roads they were very stable and planted. I've already purchased a second set for this season.

3/30/07 UPDATE: This season I bumped the pressure way up on the M3's. Last season was slightly above the 32/30 stock pressures. This season I went up to 46/44psi. WOW! Made a huge difference. Highway noise went down ( not that it was loud). Fuel economy went up about 1.5 mpg. Snow traction went up about 5 clicks. I couldn't believe what changing the pressure did for snow traction. The suby handled just as well on packed snow as it did on dry pavement.... well, almost. And since I didn't break the tires this season, I get to use them next season too!

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I just bought Kumho ASX all season tires, 235/40/17, W speed rated, and mounted them on 17x8 Rota Boost wheels, +48 offset. No clearance issues to-date.

I bought them from Tire Rack here in South Bend for $88/tire plus mounting. They have a soft sidewall and ride with my Swift springs MUCH softer than my summer wheels/tires, 17x8 OZ Superleggeras with Yokohama uni-directional AVS ES100s, 225/40/18. I attribute this to two factors: 1) softer sidewall and 2) wider tire on same width rim as Yokohamas, so more tire flex in sidewall. Both factors contribute to less tramlining that I think is problematic with a wider than stock wheel with a stiff sidewall tire. I mostly drive on secondary roads with high crowns and old pavement (lottsa bumps). Little highway driving at all.

Snow. Got a bunch of it now (Dec. 2006). Better than what I'm used to but I'm not sure it's the tire since I'm now in a awd car rather than a fwd. Better than the RE92s? Hmmm. Perhaps, but tough to tell since no back to back comparison. They're certainly rallyable! Culdesac fun if you go in hot, pull hand brake, and hit gas to keep the front wheels pulling the front end around while sliding the rear. Not sure it's good for awd but it was fun with fwd and I do it rarely. I scare the neighborhood adults but two or three teenagers have applauded my technique. I'm not a good example. :icon_bigg

Jan 2007. Gotta bunch of snow and ice and the more I drive on these the better I feel about them in the snow. They seem good in loose, wet snow and stop well in that kinda stuff. But I've never driven on a modern snow tire. But when driven conservatively in the white stuff, these tires are very predictable and controllable. And my 3.5 yr old daughter loves my 30 degree slides out of the driveway and in the subdivision when going to daycare. "Wheeeeee!, " to quote an obvious genius.

I posted this in another thread but I think it belongs here. For reviews and ratings try looking at...

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/automotive/snow-tires/reviews.html

http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=97#passenger

http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews.asp?category=Winter

These may be a bit dated. I live in a place that gets snow storms and they don't plow the residential streets. So you go from snow to ice to pavement to snow/ice. I am leaning towards Toyo Observe Go-2 Plus or Toyo Garit HT. APA site says the Go-2 Plus are between aggressive snow/ice tire and ok on pavement with long life tread.

I would like to get higher profile tires so need smaller rims. I just don't know how to figure out what is compatible. I may just go to CDN Tire and get the winter steely's with X-ICE which are highly rated.

Speaking of reviews and ratings I don't know if you have seen it yet but Consumer Reports just did a review of H and V rated all-season tires as well as "performance" winter tires. They tested them for 16,000 miles each and did what seems to me to be one heck of a job. It is in the most recent issue, November 2006. You may or may not agree with their ratings but it's a good read with a fair amount of information and some food for thought. Can't say they've ever really steered me wrong when it's come to buying stuff they've tested.
The Ridiculousness is no more :( But you can have your very own piece of it. **The Ridiculous Part Out.** :D

Well, still rollin' on the stock Yokohama's that came on my '06 2.5i SE... They aren't bad, though they could be much better...

Looking for advice for a winter tire... I live in Upstate NY and the winters can get tough... I was looking @ prolly buying a set of 16" steel wheels with some sort of good-for-winter rubber, and then prolly replace the Yokohamas on the stock 17" alloys perhaps this or next spring...

so anyone have advice on a winter tire for my subie in 16 or 17"??? :-)

I used to live in the albany area, and I had two sets of winters on my cars during that time: the michelin arctic alpine (sadly, no longer available) and the blizzak MZ-01. Both were perfectly good for the winters I saw there - the former being more snow/ice oriented, the latter more of a performance winter, leaning toward the snow side of things. It was not as grippy on ice as I would have liked, but it was just excellent in the dry unlike the WS-50 would be.

My recommendation to you, unless you live near buffalo/rochester and get tons of snow, is to avoid the pure snow tire like the WS-50, because the dry performance is just to squishy. I like the michelin X-ice for a snow and for a performance winter, I would suggest the wintersport 3D or the pilot alpin PA2. All three are excellent, available in 205/50/17, and happen to be the cheapest available from 'the rack' in that size.

Decide whether you want to have better grip when the going gets rough (X-ice) or you want better handling for the other 70 - 90 % of the time, depending on the winter. :icon_mrgr

Speaking of reviews and ratings I don't know if you have seen it yet but Consumer Reports just did a review of H and V rated all-season tires as well as "performance" winter tires. They tested them for 16,000 miles each and did what seems to me to be one heck of a job. It is in the most recent issue, November 2006. You may or may not agree with their ratings but it's a good read with a fair amount of information and some food for thought. Can't say they've ever really steered me wrong when it's come to buying stuff they've tested.

I bought the mag at costco over the weekend. I'll try to scan and post tomorrow. For the V rated performace all season, the Contiextreme finished second from last. I think they used 205/55/16 size for the V rated tests. This alone shook me up re my tire choice... If I recall the michelin pilot AS finished towards the top.

I read through the CR test, and while there were some things to like, overall I was not impressed. My biggest problem is the (apparently) subjective ratings - what is up with not being able to compare the results of H-rated tires and V-rated tires to each other (they point this out). So all of the results are scaled? Are ratings in the evaluation column based on numerical values or are they subjective? How much better are the snows than the H-rated A/s? the V-rated A/s? It's impossible to make a choice between tire categories with this (lack of ) data.

Regarding the comparisons within a given category, okay, it's useful, but its not great. It definately helps to be able to select one or two categories that are important to you, like loudness or snow traction, and it's good that such a popular mag is trying to get unbiased tire information out there - a very rare occurance. But I'm disappointed with the usefullness of the information. They also don't distinguish between performance winters and snows - this is an issue.

I want to see some braking distances - they measured them anyway, didn't they? What about measurements of lateral grip? Do peeps know that (according to the nokian website) a leading cause of winter wrecks is loss of lateral grip? IOW, it isn't that you cant start or stop, its that you slide through the corner. Lateral grip is an important factor to me for winter tire choice, and it comes out in lap time tests - this is why I like the TR reviews.

Anyway, MHO of the CR review is that it is useful information, but no way is it enough to make more than a passing decision with. At least they did try.

Ideally, they would do a 8 page spread on tires at least once a year, preferably twice, compare tires from all categories, and then use a numerical rating system that would allow comparison of different tires in different categories under the same conditions - this is the kind of testing I expect out of CR, at least in the distant past. I know it's a big big job but I bet they could find a way to get some funding for it, whether blind donations or whatever.

It's in the best interests of the tire companies selling the more expensive tires for people to know just how much better they are than the cheap ones.

• 2 weeks later...

1.) Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S 225/45R17 $130 each wrapped on Rota G-Force's, 5000 miles

2.) Omaha, NE

3.) Commute, any twisty road I can find in the midwest

4.) 60/40

5.) Continental ExtremeContact 225/40R18's on MB Weapon's

6.) I would highly recommend the Pirelli's for anyone. I believe the 225 width would fit on the OEM wheels, and absolutely kick the RE92's ass. The handing in dry is comparable to just about any summer tire out there, and the all-weather aspect is the perfect AWD cost-effective compromise. I have gone through one winter in these tires and have no complaints. The wet traction is just as good as any rain tire I have had as well. They have a softer compound than most performance all-season's, so a rotation every now and then is a must, but I would assume that is what contributes to the dry traction. They are not directionals, but they do have a defined inner and outer mounting. Be sure you don't read "inner" on the tire after your tire shop mounts them (as was my experience).

IMG_2936.thumb.jpg.390b9bb783a7156a42715ad27f6463a3.jpg

now rocking the 2007 Mini Cooper S