LegacyGT.com

Short shifter and bushing recommendations please!

Hey everyone what type of short shifter and bushings would you recommend and why? I'm trying to give the car a crisp feeling without being overly short of a throw or making it feel overly notchy.

Also what can I expect to pay for them as well as where the best location to purchase them at?

Oh that's a great recommendation! I'll have to get that. Now I'm thinking Cobb tuning might be a good choice as a short shifter since its adjustable in both the knob height and throw.. Does it create any fitment issues or make it excessively notchy? Also does anyone happen to know what the heaviest shift knob is that's compatible with our shifters?

Strizzy that knob is totally what I'm looking for thanks! 460g!! Ridiculous!

By the way, what is pitch stop? So I should get more than just the shifter bushings? I should also get a pitch stop and transmission bushings? How much is it to install all of these? I'm not going to find the time to do it myself and stumble around so ill pay someone to do it.

If I do it, I'll do the short shifter and install the shift knob and bleed the clutch at the same time.

Kartboy short-shift lever and bushings. Keep the rear shifter mount bushing stock as the harder ones transmit a lot of gear whine into the cabin for not much improvement in shift feel. Ditto the pitch stop, a stiffer one just turns the whole bulkhead into one giant speaker diaphragm to broadcast powertrain noise into the cabin. Engine and transmission mounts, good improvement for very little more NVH.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Kartboy short-shift lever and bushings. Keep the rear shifter mount bushing stock as the harder ones transmit a lot of gear whine into the cabin for not much improvement in shift feel. Ditto the pitch stop, a stiffer one just turns the whole bulkhead into one giant speaker diaphragm to broadcast powertrain noise into the cabin. Engine and transmission mounts, good improvement for very little more NVH.

Which bushings do you have?

It's also not likethe bushings suddenly make the car sound like a racecar in the cabin.

The GroupN mounts I have produced little, if any, NVH over the stock mounts.

• Moderators
Similar to strizzy--I now have the GroupN transmission mount and crossmember bushings and perrin front shifter bushings (no rear shifter bushing). NVH is minimal. I think the transmission bushing give a bit of vibration overall, but it's very minimal and definitely worth installing--it's removes a lot of slop movement during shifts.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

GrpN engine, transmission and front LCA bushings. Whiteline steering rack, diff mount and subframe bushings. KB SS Holy Shift kit. Stock pitch stop and shifter mount rear bushing. Very low NVH.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

To be honest, I ran my KB SS for a year with all the upgraded bushings, and hated it. It was notchy and hard to shift. I switched back to stock, and now it feels like it should. Granted, the stock length looks goofy, but it shifts as smooth as butter now. Not a knock against KB, though, the issue could entirely be my trans and preference. Regardless, +1 on the bushings, they make a great difference.

Hmm lot to consider.. So the rear one and pitch stop one does produce more noise huh.. But depending on the application and combination of parts it sounds like some more than others.. Well if I stick to all one brand of bushings perhaps it'll minimize that. I think perhaps using different brands could be the cause seeing as they may be different stiffnesses as well as different bias on fitment causing more or less slack in other areas or shifting stuff around just a tad bit..

Group N is STI. The bushings are rubber, but much stiffer than the spongy OEM Subaru rubber bushings. Most other aftermarket bushings are stiff polyurethane.

I honestly didn't notice extra NVH from my rear bushing, though I had an exhaust when the bushing went in (this was before all my other mods). I did notice some extra NVH when I did my trans cross member bushings, though.

I will also say that my shifter isn't "notchy," but rather more precise. It doesn't feel like I'm mixing pudding in a bowl. It's a more direct feel.

Archived