LegacyGT.com

battery light

i have a 2001 lgt limited 5 speed, was driving yesterday evening when the battery light randomly popped on. shut the car off and started it back up, still on. next the ebrake light wouldnt shut off. shut the car off started it back up, both of them were still on. drove maybe a half mile, the abs light kicked on. as i was pulling into the gas station, the car shut off, rpms dropped to zero then shot back up to a thousand. my gauges were dimmer than usual and my headlights were a little less bright. the battery was dead last night so i left it on a trickle charger all night and she starts now, but the battery and ebrake light remain on. most of the people ive talked to are saying its the alternator? help lol i need my car

I'd bet your alternator is dying or dead. Some of the chain parts stores can check them, or you can. With a multimeter and the engine running you'd want to see at least 13.5 volts DC. Anything less, and the car is only running on whats left in the battery. They are fairly simple to replace if it is bad.

Archived