LegacyGT.com

Disable Middle Brake Light (interior)

Brady

I thought this would be simple, but it's fooled me for now at least.

Got my LGT 2 days ago, as it did in my RS, it drives me nuts to see the reflection of of the middle brake light off the spoiler. In the RS, I just pulled a clip and it was done. I can't find any exposed wires or clips for the brake light in the trunk for this one.

Has anyone done this or can anyone help?

Thanks,

Brady

EDIT: For anyone else who reads this ... I figured it out with help from red beast ... yes, the bulb came out.

sheesh!

I wasn't aware there was a light in the spoiler and the rear window. It does seem like overkill.

I remember the older Nissan Maximas actually didn't even have a light in the rear window if there was a spoiler. Good idea.

^wtf???? What he is doing is completely legal. There is a light in the spoiler and it is considered the third brake light. Having both light up is complete overkill and doesn't look good. Best thing to do is to take off the brake light cover and apply black electric tape to the lens cover.

ya know, brainiac level has dropped real low on this one.

preface:

went to the dealer to have subie trunk spoiler installed.

it's illegal in n.j. to have the third light and the spoiler light working.

when i go to pick up the car the third brake light is still working.

i bring it to their attention and they say it would be an hour to disconnect it.

mechanic:"we have to take the back seat out to disconnect it"

me: "why don't you just take the bulb out?" duh!

mechanic: "yes that should work"

that's what we did in less than a minute. no problems.

now the other part of this saga.

mechanic didn't know how to take the light bulb out.

as he gets the manual i figure it out and carefully remove the lens then take out the bulb.

and i know your gonna ask so......

to get the bulb out

1. go to the thrid brake light unit.

2. push back and up on the foward most edge of the unit to get it out of the backseat shelf. it takes little pressure.

3. turn it upside down.

4. turn the unit so the red lens faces you. (and still upside down)

note! the tab on the red lens is very fragile, if it breaks your screwed. so go slow and sure.

5. take both thumbs and very, very carefully push on the lens you will see a tab. make sure this tab clears. then while still pushing with your thumbs swing the red lens and interior guts behind it up.

6. take lens off

7. pull bulb.

8. reverse to replace.

Thanks for the directions, red beast.

I already checked the manual ... it says "It might be difficult to change this bulb. If you have trouble, let the dealer change it"

Very helpful.

Edit: Directions were flawless ... thanks again. Now to solve this infernal MP3 problem ... after having and MP3 deck in my car for the last 4 years, not having MP3s will be completely unnacceptable.

Oh, and any word on CCB making a cover to replace the brake light as they offered in the '02-'03 Imprezas?

after talking to subaru of america a week ago, i mentioned that a lot of members here and at nasioc would like an i-pod hookup.

all she could say is that she would write down the idea and that the tribeca is going to have mp3. i could only surmise that that unit would go into the legacy also.

so hopefully you may be able to change your unit later on this year,

^^^

I wouldn't have chosen the spoiler, but didn't dislike it either. I decided to go with it since it was there, on the lot, and could take it home now. Hell, Silver was my first color choice, but I like the red and it's not as common.

after talking to subaru of america a week ago, i mentioned that a lot of members here and at nasioc would like an i-pod hookup.

all she could say is that she would write down the idea and that the tribeca is going to have mp3. i could only surmise that that unit would go into the legacy also.

so hopefully you may be able to change your unit later on this year,

We can already do this with the VDC stereo ... and I've already looked into it. I think it was at $692 *LIST* (not retail) for the VDC unit. Replaces the HVAC with identical set up, and the 6 disc changer plays MP3. I have to admit, it's a tempting solution because it would be so simple, but damn ... that's pricey for a headunit that STILL doesn't let me choose the additional features. I might just have to go test drive a VDC and bring some tunes along ...

I have a feeling the Tribeca won't make things any easier for us. From what I've seen, the dash looks quite a bit different - no direct swap to the Legacies.

One of the first things I did was to remove the center brake light in the rear window. The car came with the spoiler installed. I had to take this out before tinting the rear window. I still need to fashion a cover for the hole in the back deck though. I wish Subaru made a cover for it.

Archived