LegacyGT.com

2.5GT Turbo Oil Supply Banjo Bolt Filter Removal

I attempted to do mine last night. No way in hell was I getting in there without removing the turbo. I completely pulled the heat shield since i had to trim it anyways. And i was certainly not without the correct tools.

Also, I believe its 08+. I have an 07 and the bolts have the little nipple at the top

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh. Pulled mine last night. This was easy, the filter was clean and bolt came out using the correct tools. How the H3!! do you get the rear copper washer in Closest to the motor. I ended up loosing the washer and need to find another one. Does anyone have any input on an easier attack stategie for putting the copper seal in???

Ahh. Pulled mine last night. This was easy, the filter was clean and bolt came out using the correct tools. How the H3!! do you get the rear copper washer in Closest to the motor. I ended up loosing the washer and need to find another one. Does anyone have any input on an easier attack stategie for putting the copper seal in???

slide the washer between the banjo and head and hold it there while you slide the bolt back in? use your girlie fingers

well needless to say i got it back in. I found a 12mmX17mmX2mm ID-OD-thickness. And it is smoking. I first started the car w/out the second seal and oil leak. I am guessing it is residual oil cause there was no puddle under the car. But did anyone have a smoking issue after the install of the bolt??? could the washer be the cause??? input please!

well needless to say i got it back in. I found a 12mmX17mmX2mm ID-OD-thickness. And it is smoking. I first started the car w/out the second seal and oil leak. I am guessing it is residual oil cause there was no puddle under the car. But did anyone have a smoking issue after the install of the bolt??? could the washer be the cause??? input please!

Residual dripped oil will take a while to burn off. Let it idle and look under the car with a flashlight and see if the bolt is leaking.

You missed earlier in this thread where everyone learns to use dental floss to hold the washer until you can slide the bolt through and get it threaded. Once the bolt is started you just tug on the floss and it will break.

AHHH dental floss! Genius! I ended up using a new washer, and it was a little thicker so it did not fall through as easy. But i did not have the time or patience to go through 57 pages of this forum for idea. But needless to say the deed is done!!:spin:

Did mine today. 93,000 miles and my filter barely had anything in it. A few specks but that's all. Man! The nut and bolt for that bracket was no joke getting off. God bless liquid wrench. I got a new banjo bolt with filter and washers from the dealer and put them in. No leaks, so I guess it's mission accomplished! ;)

• 1 month later...
For those of you with experience in this field, would this UOA give any reason to believe my banjo bolt may be clogged up?

I'm awaiting the results from the first UOA I have ever done so have very limited knowledge on the subject and can't directly comment about yours and what it might show. I have been sitting here trying to think of a scenario where a clogged banjo might be indicated by a UOA. Unless the UOA would tell you that your oil is gunking, which is usually what clogs the filter, I can't see what indicator would tell you that it is constricted. My guess is that's why people take the time to actually remove it and inspect it. Unfortunately one of the alternate indicators of a clogged filter is a failed turbo due to oil starvation. Since your car has 51k miles of possibly unknown oil service it might be worth the effort for you to do the inspection. I'll be waiting with interest to see if anybody more knowledgeable chimes in with an answer if and as to how a UOA can give such an indication regarding the banjo filter.

I doubt the UOA will tell yout he filter is clogged, you should just remove it and be done with it.

There is no need for that filter. That's why you have a oil filter on the engine. I have removed both the banjo filters from my new engine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just started calling around all of the Local Subaru stealerships to see if they would perform bulletin 02-103-07 with oil changes. I change my own oil, but I wouldn't mind ponying up an extra 40 bucks every 10k or so for the dealership to perform it if it means they'll inspect the filter. Probably a long shot, but I certainly felt it was worth an ask. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no. I'm guessing 02-106-08 is in place to supersede 103-07, but it only calls for inspection post failure. So I'll 'document' every oil change from here to eternity in the event this happens, and they try to bust my balls honoring my warranty.

I'll report back with the answers from both dealerships I called. I have a feeling we all know the answer :p

Just started calling around all of the Local Subaru stealerships to see if they would perform bulletin 02-103-07 with oil changes. I change my own oil, but I wouldn't mind ponying up an extra 40 bucks every 10k or so for the dealership to perform it if it means they'll inspect the filter. Probably a long shot, but I certainly felt it was worth an ask. The worst thing that can happen is that they say no. I'm guessing 02-106-08 is in place to supersede 103-07, but it only calls for inspection post failure. So I'll 'document' every oil change from here to eternity in the event this happens, and they try to bust my balls honoring my warranty.

I'll report back with the answers from both dealerships I called. I have a feeling we all know the answer :p

You have a 05. It's still under warrenty ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

They quoted an hour and half of labor for a total of 165. That's not awful, and something to consider if you don't have the tools/expertise/patience to perform it yourself (like me). I wouldn't mind spending that every 20k miles or so for peace of mind.

Remember in later years, Subaru removed the filters all together.

Why don't you ask them based on later model years if they would just remove the filter on the back of the passenger side head.

The way you only pay once.

I gather you just bought this car used ? I may have missed something here, If you bought it new you must be close the the 72 months.

Yeah, I bought it used just a few days ago from Carmax. Me and the other half were looking for a wagon to haul the dog around and figured we'd buy one that was actually a pleasure to drive. I picked up the option for the warranty, as the car is a bit long in the tooth age wise.

I'll take it to them for the next oil change and see if they'll pull it. Knowing how incompetent some of the dealerships and techs are, I can see a scenario where they claim the necessity of a turbo killing mesh screen. Again it never hurts to ask.

Yeah, I bought it used just a few days ago from Carmax. Me and the other half were looking for a wagon to haul the dog around and figured we'd buy one that was actually a pleasure to drive. I picked up the option for the warranty, as the car is a bit long in the tooth age wise.

I'll take it to them for the next oil change and see if they'll pull it. Knowing how incompetent some of the dealerships and techs are, I can see a scenario where they claim the necessity of a turbo killing mesh screen. Again it never hurts to ask.

When my wagon had the P0011 and P0021 codes. My trusted mechanic down the street said, the fix is to remove the banjo filter screen. And hope for the best. They pulled the screen, I got another 1000 miles out of the turbo.