LegacyGT.com

Knock sensor woes

I'm looking to buy a 1995 Legacy L with the 2.2L engine. The one I'm looking at has the CEL light on and it started flashing when I took it for a test drive. This would make my first Subaru so I don't really know how they're supposed to sound or feel but I'd have to say that this car didn't feel like it was running smooth. It had good acceleration and the pressure at the tailpipe at idle was pretty strong.

The codes it's throwing is P0303 and P0325.

Will changing the knock sensor fix the misfire? If I have to change the coil pack what brand would you suggest? I'd prefer to not spend $100+. Is there anything mechanical that would cause the sensor to fail? Other than temperature fluctuations causing cracking what would make a knock sensor fail?

Thanks for your advice.

Will changing the knock sensor fix the misfire? If I have to change the coil pack what brand would you suggest? I'd prefer to not spend $100+. Is there anything mechanical that would cause the sensor to fail? Other than temperature fluctuations causing cracking what would make a knock sensor fail?
the knock sensor will probably NOT fix the miss fire. but a $25 knock sensor from ebay will fix the knock sensor. how many miles, knock sensors do not last for ever. it probably hasn't ever been changed. replace it.

the mos common cause of misfires is the plug wires, second it the plugs. how long since it has had a tune up. replace the wires and plugs. if you move the #3 wire, passenger side rear , to the front of the engine the misfire may move with the wire or stay wit the plug.

rarely is it the coil.

Thanks John that's comforting to know the coil might not be bad but I have it under suspicion because it looks like OE, I don't know what OE looks like but this coil looks like it could have come off my old 1990's Yamaha snowmobile, it's square and the metal plates are not covered by the plastic covering just the winding is. The 4 wire connection points are spaced farther apart, closer to the outside edge than the center, than any aftermarket replacement I've seen.

What color are the stock plug wires? This one has bright blue colored plug wires. I've only seen that color on tuner cars.

I'm kicking my self in the ass because I could have checked the wires for spark if I hadn't thrown out the old plugs from our van that was done just days ago! * face-palm moment* I guess I could just buy the cheapest spark plug I can find for testing purposes.

I just rebuilt the bottom end of my EJ25D and it still slightly misfires. I have 100K on the nose with this old EJ25D motor before it spun a rod. It's really not beat. My CEL is on regardless of rebuild. I'm going to go with the eBay knock as per John's advice. Also I'll be looking to buying new wires and the plugs. I really want this engine to run the proper way. So sick of the misfire problem.

Archived