LegacyGT.com

Opinion on uppipe downpipe and headers

Orbit

their are several options, depending on budget, but if you do a search you will find alot of good info.

Alot depends on your budget!!!

Click the link below my sig and it will show you my current setup

Click

Here everyday:redface:

their are several options, depending on budget, but if you do a search you will find alot of good info.

Alot depends on your budget!!!

Click the link below my sig and it will show you my current setup

How about a nearly unlimited budget? The stipulations are that it must be mass-produced and proven effective?

Then, with a limited budget? Same stipulations as above.

Send a message to Boostjunkie - he's a huge contributor on the site and now an authorized distributor for Megan Racing products. I just purchased an upipipe at a great price (saved lots compared to "brand" names) and a catback exhaust system from Megan within the last few months.

I am not sure if his vendor specials are still in place for the uppipe, but it'd be definitely worth a message to him. Everything has been delivered right on time and the quality is excellent, plus he's a great resource for anything LGT.

Here's a recent thread for the new MR Exhaust:

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41221

They should have a MR downpipe available in the next few months as well.

Do your homework on the megan racing product, matter of fact do your home work on all of this. It is well worth the time, and the headache of regret later. You are more than welcome to pm me with specific questions as I would like to avoid any arguments as their are people that have single minded Ideas, as I am very open minded and have done my homework on all available brands before I made any decision. I even contacted other member to get their direct opinion on things that they would normally not post on herein an attempt to not start any arguments.

Click

Geez Magic... thanks:icon_conf I remember answering several of your PM very cordially when you asked me questions, I'm really not sure what brought on your rant. I don't recall having sold you anything, so you can't be speaking of first hand knowledge of anything from MR's LGT line. If you have other products that you would rather buy and can vouch for that is fantastic. We are fortunate enough to have quite a few choices for most upgrade products. I happen to like many other product lines and recommend them to people who ask me when I do not offer something that fits their needs. I have many satisfied customers and always do my best to make sure that everyone is happy with their purchases.

Subaru STI Uppipe. Down-pipe Cobb HFC(High Flow Catt). Cant miss with OEM. I haven't heard of one problem with the Cobb Down-pipe. The Idea is to get rid of restrictive Catts and increase flow. Then re tune the ecu via access port with a good stgII map. Try the TDC. Thats the easiest, safest and cheapest way to increase WHP. Everthing else becomes complicated and requires protunes.

If you can afford College, you probably don't need to go.

BTW, for unlimited budget recommendations for DP, UP and header, I like Cobb for the DP, the Cobb Inconel UP and the APS equal length headers. On a budget, and if you don't mind waiting a bit, Megan Racing for all of the above :icon_wink

Thank god there is someone offering good products at a great price!! Modding is an expesive habit. :(

:icon_twis Slide It Sideways :icon_twis

BTW, for unlimited budget recommendations for DP, UP and header, I like Cobb for the DP, the Cobb Inconel UP and the APS equal length headers. On a budget, and if you don't mind waiting a bit, Megan Racing for all of the above :icon_wink

Does the APS not come with its own UP? If yes, then why use a Cobb inconel UP -- I would be under the impression that the APS header would mate slightly better with its own UP.

And we really should create and sticky one thread that deals with questions such as these and their answers. Copy 'n paste the question, copy 'n paste the answer, and cut out the fat :).

my turn...Invidia Up pipe. Outstanding quality, thickness, TIG welded, Stainless...for less $$$ then comprabable pipes.

DP...too may options. depends on what you want to do with the car in the end. All out...go full TBE (autospeed). Just don't have the funds...go Crucial shorty and add a mid pipe or a cat back.

if you do headers get a set that includes the up pipes...seems to just make sense. GTspec or try Megan racing ($249).

intake....keep the stocker. it's fine. swap out with an aftermarket drop in filter if you want a little more noise. only a 1-2 hp increase if that.

Does the APS not come with its own UP? If yes, then why use a Cobb inconel UP -- I would be under the impression that the APS header would mate slightly better with its own UP.

And we really should create and sticky one thread that deals with questions such as these and their answers. Copy 'n paste the question, copy 'n paste the answer, and cut out the fat :).

The APS header does come with an uppipe, so obviously you wouldn't need the Cobb Inconel. I mentioned the Cobb UP because the thread asked for recommendations for DP, UP and headers. Some people might not be interested in getting headers, so I also made my recommendation for an UP.

Geez Magic... thanks:icon_conf I remember answering several of your PM very cordially when you asked me questions, I'm really not sure what brought on your rant. I don't recall having sold you anything, so you can't be speaking of first hand knowledge of anything from MR's LGT line. If you have other products that you would rather buy and can vouch for that is fantastic. We are fortunate enough to have quite a few choices for most upgrade products. I happen to like many other product lines and recommend them to people who ask me when I do not offer something that fits their needs. I have many satisfied customers and always do my best to make sure that everyone is happy with their purchases.

No offense was meant, My point was to do your own homework on all brands and see what fits your own personal requirements i.e. are you going for a fun daily driver or drag, or auto cross. also to weigh factors such as build quality, availability, heat coatings, catted or non catted. the only reason i even mentioned MR is because it was the last brand mentioned. I would have said the same thing no matter what brand was mentiond...

I love you Paul:wub: :lol: No offense to you, MR or MR products.:)

Click

I bought a set of coated MR headers from Boost. I was going to weigh in after i had them installed, but still waiting for the Invidia DP...

Overall, I think the coating was good. It was better than what I could get from the local shop and cheaper too which is one of the reasons that I went with Boost's group buy.

The quality of the headers is not the best. Two of the flanges mate almost perfectly with the pipes but one of them doesn't (inspected on the inside). This can be corrected by cutting the piping on a tool/jig after bending. If a tool is already used, then its dimensional tolerances should be checked. Also, the flanges had some burrs on them that may have prevented proper sealing. I knocked them off with a file.

I measured the bolt hole to bolt dimensions and they were almost dead-on with two other person's headers so it looks like it was welded on a good repeatable jig.

Overall, I think it has the quality necessary to get the job done and I have not heard of any other than the wrapped header failing. I think if it is going to fail due to a manufacturing flaw, it will fail early (within the year warranty). If it doesn't... well, then all is good.

The performance should be good due to it being a clone of the zerosports and some forum members have had good luck with them.

Realistically, the MR headers have low resale. You can buy them on nabisco cheaply. I considered going that route, but decided that it would be better to get them from Boost in case something went wrong. These are cheap and Boost provides good customer support so I recommend them. If they crack, send them back!

BTW, someone at MR needs to recheck the hardware packaging of this thing. Do I really need that many bolts? How about trading those extra bolts and the O2 bolt for an EGT bolt? IMHO, I wouldn't provide gaskets. And I think they need to update their stock photo. I think the flanges are thicker than shown.

Thanks for the candid and honest review mickeyd2005. I agree with your accessment 100%. MR products have always been good quality, value priced parts. The headers were designed long before I became associated with them, so I haven't had any input on their production or packaging. There are certainly areas to be improved on, but headers do what they are supposed to do and they do so at a price anyone can afford.

All of MR's products that I sell are fundamentally sound and well built. They may not have some of the finer detailing work of the mega dollar stuff, but that is to be expected. The choice of where to spend their dollars is always that of the customer. About $1800 for the Zerosports, or $250 for the MR. I'm absolutely certain the Zerosport unit will be prettier to look at, but I'm not sure if that's worth $1550 to many people. Ultimately, most people buy a header to make more power. Both products will do that, and it will likely be a very similar increase in power. Beyond that, the only other real concern is longevity. I firmly believe that the small finish difference will not affect longevity in any way. So at that point, it's pretty tough to attribute the price difference to anything more branding.

I can certainly appreciate the power of branding and how it makes ostensibly identical product "worth" different amounts of money. If there is "bling" in a name and people want to pay for that, I'm perfectly fine with that. I own plenty of designer and luxury brand stuff and know that my $200 wallet doen't hold my license and credit cards any better than a $20 wallet from Target. I was more than happy to pay the difference because I wanted the $200 product more. People will chose to do the same with their performance parts. Just be honest with yourself and realize that you are mostly playing for the bling of the brand and not some marginal increase is "quality" or performance.

Archived