LegacyGT.com

Would it be worth getting a fmic at this stage?

Hey guys I drive a 2005 lgt and almost done with my build just need to get a couple more parts. I've got lots of suspension and mounts and bushings etc etc. I already have a perrin tmic but I'm starting to think its going to be my limitation/restriction to the goal I'm trying to achieve. I'm wanting to break 400awtq or get pretty close to it. I made 274hp 327tq on this set up on a mustang dyno with a cracked up pipe and leaking bpv:

Stock block and heads

pnp'd headers with Grimmspeed high flow crossover pipe

perrin catless up pipe

stock vf40 at 19psi

cnt catless downpipe

fms cat back

cobb short ram intake

3" perrin inlet

perrin tmic with perrin bpv 100% recirc

grimmspeed 3 port ebcs

crawford AOS

tgv deletes

perrin side feed fuel rails

stock injectors

fuel lab afpr

DW65c fuel pump

stage 1 exedy clutch with lwfw.

This is all the new stuff I have and/or *need to get to try to break this goal:

ej257 block bored 20 over with manley platinum series pistons with upgraded wrist pins.

manley h beam rods with arp rod bolts

2013 heat treated sti crank

king performace bearings

arp head studs

killer bee pick up tube and windage tray

comp stage 3 clutch with lwfw (on its way)

supertech nitrited intake valves and inconel exhaust valves standard size

3 angle valve job and possibly some pnp

supertech dual valve spring set up and titanium retainers

gsc s1 cams (264in, 262ex) *Need to order

bnr 20g at 23-25psi *Need to order

complete infamous performance oil line kit with filter

DW 850cc injectors

I'm also going to be doing all the necessary maintanence at this time

gates timing belt

water pump

oil pump to be safe (car has 139xxx miles)

tearing apart trans to replace syncros and check everything out and clearances.

I may be forgetting some things I've got a lot done and going on but hopefully you guys stuck through all that info and can answer my question now haha. Will the tmic be sufficient or will it most likely keep me from reaching my goal and I should go fmic? I will still be on pump gas as e85 is not very available by me and I drive 60 mile round trip to work at least 2-3 days a week (car pooling is awesome haha). Thanks for your help and input. I've searched and I'm sure it would help but just thought I would throw this out there to get some feedback on peoples thoughts with my set up with it.

Looking into water/Meth injection now. I know how the system works but I've never messed with installing something like this and wiring kinda makes me nervous with these kits. Would it be smart to get a protune with and without Meth injection?

Is this a DD ? if so IMO stay away from water/meth, not worth the weekly hassle IMO.

the 20g with your set up and a fmic will be nice.

I think bigger injectors and may be even a better turbo then a 20g would be in order for all the other things your paying for.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea e85 is a little scarce over here and it is my dd so keeping it on pump. And yea the more I think about it the more I feel like I'm going to have to go fmic. I know I can handle a bigger turbo I'm just not sure I want to push my curve father to the right, I want very nice torque early. And I already got the infamous performance oil line kit, is that compatible with other aftermarket turbos?

Well, if he ends up going FMIC, then he can get any stock location STI style turbo. A 20g on pump gas won't make 400wtq, unless the dyno operator messes with the corrections enough to make the owner happy. If E85 or a larger turbo aren't an option, then WI/meth is his best bet.

Is this a DD ? if so IMO stay away from water/meth, not worth the weekly hassle IMO.

the 20g with your set up and a fmic will be nice.

I think bigger injectors and may be even a better turbo then a 20g would be in order for all the other things your paying for.

You post a lot and link your engine build a lot and the community appreciates your hard work :)

OP: 90k miles on my 20g, TMIC + WI setup no issues. I could drive this car cross country tomorrow without question :cool:

Also 850 are plenty big.

IBihavnetblownmyenginelikemax :spin:

This thread boils down to a few things.

- 850 are plenty big

- A 20g at 23-25psi is too much for a TMIC it will start to pull timing around 18psi

- A 20g is plenty of fun to drive, good around town power and more then enough to pass on the HW.

- With a good tune you can drive this setup for a many a mile

- Yes a FMIC will work

This thread boils down to a few things.

- 850 are plenty big

- A 20g at 23-25psi is too much for a TMIC it will start to pull timing around 18psi

- A 20g is plenty of fun to drive, good around town power and more then enough to pass on the HW.

- With a good tune you can drive this setup for a many a mile

- Yes a FMIC will work

FMIC it is. And if the 20g doesn't get me that goal then oh well its still a DD so when I get another car to DD I can push that goal even farther on the leggy. And yes transmission would concern me yet I see others with stock trans pushing more that are perfectly fine and some that push much less that explode. I don't track, auto x, drag the car and don't launch and will not launch the car just like the raw power when want to drop a gear on the highway or the occasional windy hilly road cruise so I'm hoping with my habits the trans will be fine for a while. I am tearing it down and re doing syncros and bearings just can't afford gear sets with other things going on right now.

FMIC it is. And if the 20g doesn't get me that goal then oh well its still a DD so when I get another car to DD I can push that goal even farther on the leggy. And yes transmission would concern me yet I see others with stock trans pushing more that are perfectly fine and some that push much less that explode. I don't track, auto x, drag the car and don't launch and will not launch the car just like the raw power when want to drop a gear on the highway or the occasional windy hilly road cruise so I'm hoping with my habits the trans will be fine for a while. I am tearing it down and re doing syncros and bearings just can't afford gear sets with other things going on right now.

The key to long life in the trans with a 20g is changing the gear oil ever 10k.

Archived