LegacyGT.com

Cooling Fan Relay Issue now a recall campaign

Opie

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you change your ecu also? im guessing your just changing the fan relay. If changing the fan relay doesnt fix it then your ecu is damaged and needs to be repaired. Im guessing they will fix the prob for you and end up changing your ecu while they are at it. Thats what had to happen to mine. Just glad i remembered to uninstall my accessport or else I would of lost my tuned map and be stuck with a worthless AP

Last July, I had the ECU and Relay replaced. Just last month when the car is fully warmed up, the fan will turn on and stay on. So then I bought a new relay in hopes of fixing it. Nope, it contiune to do the same thing, which leads me to believe the ECU needs replacing again. I'm hoping SOA will correct this since I've already had this done last year.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Thanks, just received their response.

SOA: "Your vehicle does appear to have an open recall relating to the concern

you have mentioned. I would need to refer you to your local Subaru

dealership to have this recall repair perfomed at no charge to you, of

course."

Looks like I'm taken it back to the dealer.

My wife's balls are delicious.

• 2 weeks later...
I have to get mine in for the relay, should I unmarry my AP before I send it in case they have to replace the ECU? I'm at stage 2 so I assume there will be a CEL when I unmarry it.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I would unmarry.

However, if you currently are NOT seeing a problem with the fan, you're pretty much guaranteed that the ECU is still fine - I would just, ASAP, get a replacement relay, paying for it out-of-pocket (it should be less than $20), and put it in yourself, to save any potential hassles.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

My car just turned 20,000 miles and it started. I'm set to take it in on Monday, while it's there, I'm having them check the wheel bearings and cut the rotors AGAIN. We'll se how I make out.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi gang!

This is my first post as I have not yet pulled the triger on an 05 Legacy LTD 2.5 gt 5mt.

Anyway.I have read thru this entire post (or have I?) reguarding the relay/ECU recall.

My questions---

I would assume this recall includes us Canadians?

My car to be is stock.Does this mean I don't have AP and therefor have nothing to disconnect when taking it in for the recall?

Any more info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Glad to be here.Hope to *be* here soon.

Just had my ECU replaced two weeks ago after taking the car in for both rear wheel bearings going out. Wow, the car is so much quieter when driving now.

Fools at the dealership kept trying to tell me it was tire noise.

Last July, I had the ECU and Relay replaced. Just last month when the car is fully warmed up, the fan will turn on and stay on. So then I bought a new relay in hopes of fixing it. Nope, it contiune to do the same thing, which leads me to believe the ECU needs replacing again. I'm hoping SOA will correct this since I've already had this done last year.

Parts warranty are 12 months

Second if they replaced it under warranty and did not do the recall, then yes they can do it again per the recall.

[SIZE=1][URL="http://public.fotki.com/blackfang/"]Pics[/URL] [B]08 KawasakiZZR 600- exhaust and other mods 98 Camaro Z/28 HT- some mods......street/strip car 07 Legacy 2.5i- SPT exhaust...daily driver[/B][/SIZE]

• 1 month later...

I actually just had this issue after 42,000 miles on the lgt. In addition to that issue, blades broke off my turbo around the same time rendering that useless, but fortunately they did not damage other parts of the engine. After a day of Subaru deciding whether they wanted to cover it under powertrain warranty, they took care of it and everything is running fine now.

Thankfully, I had unmarried the AP prior to the maintenance! Does anyone know if the new ECU/ECM is different in any way and will have any issues when I re-install the AP again, or did Subaru just replace it with the same factory ECU I had before?

• 1 month later...
A few weeks ago my fan turned on and would not turn off... I brought it to the dealer and they replaced the fan relay (again) and the ECU/ECM under warranty. Weird thing is my gas mileage shot up... The gas mileage has not changed since the day I bought it, now it seems I'm getting ~30% better mileage with the new ECM they put in... Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

• 1 month later...

I bought my 05 LGT M/T used in 2006. I did not get the warranty notice on the fan relay (although I did buy from a Subaru dealer.)

I got a CEL over the weekend & car was running rough. Took it to an Advance Auto Parts & hooked up the computer. MAF sensor & misfires on 2 & 4. Cleaned MAF and CEL went off, still rough running. I did not notice the fan running all the time; have no idea how long that has been going on. It is hot here in GA so I have windows up & A/C on most of the time.

Limped home to local (i.e., trustworthy) mechanic, who checked the coils and plugs & said they were OK. They told me about the Tech Bulletin on the fan relay, & said I needed to go to dealer on that, as the ECU could be damaged from the fan relay, which could be causing my misfires. When I cranked the car the next morning to take to dealer, it was idling smooth, but started rough running again when I got into town (~ 15 miles). Dealer had to order fan relay part, but they called today saying I need new injectors for 2 & 4 at $476 :eek:

(1) Don't they need to be replacing my ECU as well as fan relay, since the fan was definitely running from start-up, or is the ECU replacement only if the fan runs from start up after they replace the relay ?

(2) Do we need to get the fan relay & ECU issue resolved before concluding that the 2 & 4 injectors are bad ?

It is just curious to me that two injectors would simultaneously go bad, so I am thinking it could be in the ECU ?

(3) If I do need injectors, is $476 a fair charge ?... I've seen posts on here that the parts are ~$90 each, and it takes mere minutes to pop them out & in.

(4) Lastly, any recommendations on which diagnostic unit to buy ? I am thinking I need to get back into doing my own work...

Thanks for all help.

I've got one and two. Number 3, not sure since I've personally never had the problem (but the previous owner did). Nothing on 4.

1) Yes. If you turn the car on with no a/c on and the fan immediately turns on, the ecu is fried (there are some other weird situations like my car which have been well documented). However, Opie can confirm this, I don't believe they can order the ECU until the fan relay replaced and they see if it fixes the problem.

2) Issues aren't related. Also you're not going to cause any issues with the car if the fan keeps running. Trust me, it took about 10000 miles to get it and no issues (knock on wood), and that was about 30000 miles ago

• 1 month later...

man i'm having this problem too. fan is on all the time. i've been meaning to get to the dealer, but the nearest dealership is over 30 miles away and i just get too busy to find time to take it out there when they are open.

also, the dealer won't give me crap for having exhaust and coilovers, right? :redface: