LegacyGT.com

Flange or slip-fit CBE's

Tomkat1127

Pondering the vast array of exhaust's (mainly CBE's) for the LGT I notice two distinct methods of connection at the mid pipe to y-pipe and then again at the y-pipe to muffler connections. The connection type being either flange connections or slip-fit (clamped) connections. All the systems use a flange at the DP to mid-pipe.

What is everybody's opinion and personnel experience (limited to Subaru) of the two styles? Is one really better then the other?

Obviously, the flange connection requires a gasket and the slip fitting pipes require clamps (band or u-bolt).

Borla, Magnaflow, and FMS use slip-fit connections. Is this to allow for minor length adjustments?

Stromung (msprank version) and CNT is all flange connections. What is a guy supposed to do when a gasket burns/blows out?

• 2 weeks later...

Really....that's all the opinions this board has on a legit topic. Come on...I've seen better discussion on this board about much more trivial topics....

I knew I should have posted a dirty or funny picture, maybe then more would have looked.....

Do they all use the same style/size gaskets? If not one may have trouble finding the correct replacement.

I wouldn't be too concerned. Between auto stores, dealerships, and forum vendors, you will be able to find the gasket that you need.

Blow outs are not very common.

Flanges.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Flange (though my Perrin is v-band at the mid/y connection). 2-bolt 3" and 2.5" gaskets are pretty much all universal and are cheap as hell to buy. I get mine for a buck a piece at the local CarQuest. I've had a few slip-fit exhaust on other vehicles over the years, and they usually have a small leak at the joint, or become a pain in the as$ to remove from over tightening to stop the leaks.

Ok guys. Thanks for the comments. My experience is the same as most of what I am hearing here. Slip fits are ok if the pipes are a tight fit and clamped very hard. All my past exhausts were custom muffler shop jobs on non-subaru vehicles. They were slip fits leaving the factory manifold to intemediate pipe flanged. Even with galvanized pipes the clamps would rust off and pipes rusted out at any wells.

Most Subaru vehicle systems are SS so that is not a concern. If i really like a system and it is slip fit, then so be it. My preference will be for a flanged system.

Archived