LegacyGT.com

this sounds stupid but...is my car an Outback???

Ive had my car for about 3 years now and its badged as a Legacy Outback AWD. But where i live (on an island) there arent many other subis to compare it to. I saw an outback and it had the gray bumpers with big fogs and a hood scoop. mine has a scoopless hood, same color bumpers and clearance is not as high. Is mine just an L that was badged otherwise? or did the previous owner do a hatch swap (or just badge it) ??

oh and also wondering wheres best to get a complete carpet and trunk rug too?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ALL outbacks 96 - 99 have a step roof. if yours does not , and yours is not a 95, then it is not an outback. if yours is a 95 then it could be an outback since they did not get the taller struts or the step roof.

WHAT YEAR IS YOUR CAR?

we're not psychic.

ALL outbacks 96 - 99 have a step roof. if yours does not , and yours is not a 95, then it is not an outback. if yours is a 95 then it could be an outback since they did not get the taller struts or the step roof.

WHAT YEAR IS YOUR CAR?

we're not psychic.

it is a 96. not sure what a step roof is but i will post some pics

That is not an Outback, lol. That's a Legacy Wagon.

Matching views of my 98 Outback so you can see the difference (the stepped roof, higher ride height, two tone paint, different roof rack, different front bumper/fogs, hood scoop, etc...)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5508365608_953a2764d0_b.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5093/5508410912_57dc0a6579_b.jpg

Liking the wheels from the last gen Legacy though!

what have you been smoking?

all outbacks 96 - 99 have a step roof, but most DO NOT have double sunroofs.

^^^ "I'll pass it on the left hand side". Johnegg, I have been removing parts off of a 1999 Green Legacy Outback Wagon that has double sunroofs, Leather interior, fully loaded. It is a great find for me here in Texas. Geez, dont get all your "eggs" in a bunch. I'll snap a photo for you of the double Sunroofs next time I'm at the salvage. I think it's VERY cool for the double sunroof deal. ...too bad the whole engine is missing...

^^^ "I'll pass it on the left hand side". Johnegg, I have been removing parts off of a 1999 Green Legacy Outback Wagon that has double sunroofs, Leather interior, fully loaded. It is a great find for me here in Texas. Geez, dont get all your "eggs" in a bunch. I'll snap a photo for you of the double Sunroofs next time I'm at the salvage. I think it's VERY cool for the double sunroof deal. ...too bad the whole engine is missing...

He knows that there is a double sunroof. He is just saying that it is rare for them to have that option and if a 98-99 Outback has a sunroof (they only had it as an option for those 2 years) there will be two of them, not just one. He is one of the most knowledgable people in the 2nd gen forums...

98GT,

I suppose that I got very lucky to find a 99' Outback with double SR's. It was one of the first thing I noticed when I got to work on removing parts from it. You don't have to tell me about JE's prowess on the second Gen site I've read his explanations on various topics on this forum. Hey, I even offered to "pass it on the left hand side" for his "what I was smoking" for my comment. :lol:

UNLESS - it's acually a 95 and the previous owner stripped the Outback stickers off the bottom.

The 95's weren't lifted, had large fog lights, or a step up roof and HAD a 2.2.

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/durania717/95%20Outback/downsized950601000906.jpg

Archived