LegacyGT.com

This H6 I've been hearing about....

The EG33 produces 230 horsepower. It makes decent torque as well, but the SVX uses the same 4EAT automatic transmission as the 2.2L and 2.5L 4 cylinder motors. The SVX didn't come with a manual transmission, so the 4EAT was the only option. It was later discovered that the 4EAT really doesn't like the 230 horsepower EG33, and would frequently blow up due to the extra power and torque. A lot of people with SVX's swapped the 4EAT for the 5 speed stick shift when their transmissions went, which requires some fabrication but is possible and far more reliable. Other SVX owners would install large aftermarket transmission oil coolers in front of the radiator to dissipate some of the transmissions heat. This does make the transmission last considerably longer, but reliability is still questionable.

If you want to swap to an EG33 engine, make sure to get an EJ22 flywheel and clutch and swap to a Legacy 5 speed transmission. The EJ22 flywheel (As well as a lot of other EJ22 parts) will fit fine on an EG33, since the EG33 is pretty much just an EJ22-and-a-half.

The EG33 is a great looking motor from under the hood. It should bolt right into the stock EJ22/EJ25 engine mounts and it will definitely bolt right up to just about any Subaru transmission you can find. You might have to modify some things in the engine bay to get it to fit, and you will need to have a custom exhaust made. All in all, the EG33 is a great engine and it sounds like an exotic car when you put a pair of good mufflers on it.

Very good info for him. I think that the tranny on the Svx was a different geared tranny that is why most svxs swap the 4.4 or the 4.1 into them. I believe the problem with manufaturing the manual tranny was the torque problem. Would rip one right apart. I am planning a 5 speed swap, but this this is going to be built to handle the torque and mods to come.

I just realized an issue with installing the SVX motor into a second gen.

In most places in the US, in order to do an engine swap one must swap the stock engine with a replacement engine that's the same model year or newer. Your car is a 1998, and the last year for the SVX was 1997. Anything before 1995 will be OBDI.

The legality of the swap all depends on where you live. You can probably get away with this in some states where the safety and emmissions inspections are lax, but in strict states like mine you'd probably get a big fat "R" on your windshield until you swapped a suitable motor back into the car.

Some inspection stations will let you get away with this. I think that as long as you don't have a check engine light on in the car you'll be fine. All you really need is for the OBDII code reader to come back without any issues when they plug it into their computer. The code reader can't tell what engine is in a car, and many stations don't even look under the hood. Just check on the laws for your state and talk to an inspection station to see what you can expect as far as terms for rejection. Last but not least, check your wiring. If you swap for a 5 speed you'll need to wire the transmission computer so that it "Thinks" the car is in neutral all the time. They didn't make a computer for the EG33 engine and a manual transmission, so the ECU you're going to use must be wired to think its in neutral at all times in order for the car to even start. Any poor wiring will result in a Check Engine light, which could blow your cover.

if its a odb1 engine its pretty hard to trick the computer into not pulling a code since there are missing sensors and such. but if you use a svx computer or custom i think you could get away with it. if you do the swap ill trade you legacies, i can get anything past inspection in canada

though the eg33 is a great engine! the svx would eat through transmissions so its probably a good motor in that junkyard car

The 1998 Legacy is OBDII. The SVX is OBDI until 1995. The 1995-1997 SVX is OBDII. He would have to buy an EG33 computer no matter what, since its a totally different motor and the stock EJ22 computer wouldn't fire the extra 2 fuel injectors or spark plugs if you tried to hook it up. Everything that you would normally wire to the car will be fine, like the oil pressure sensor, temp sensor, speed sensor, starter relay, fan relay, tach, ect... The hard part is either getting a complete wiring diagram or tracing all the wires to their proper locations. All the instruments and such can be spliced into the existing harness in the car. If you can keep the EG33 ECU harness intact you'll save yourself the work of rewiring it later. Stuff like the cam position sensor, MAF sensor, TPS sensor, knock sensor, ect will have to be wired back into the EG33 ECU. If you leave it all intact it should be a plug and play operation. The only special thing you have to do if you want a 5 speed is splice the two wires that go to the neutral safety switch on the EG33 computer together so the car will turn over, then splice the wires from the shift linkage together so the ECU thinks its in neutral. Cap off the other wires and you should be good to go. If you want an automatic just wire everything up like you normally would, everything should just plug right into the 4EAT auto transmission. Just make sure to get an oil cooler to keep the transmission happy. You can get them for between $50 and $125 new, or find an old truck or SUV at the junkyard that has a transmission cooler and pull it off for about $20. The bigger the cooler, the happier the transmission will be.

Oh, and one last thing...

If you do decide to go with a 5 speed transmission BE CAREFUL. Since you're going to wire the EG33 computer so that it forever thinks its stuck in neutral, you'll be able to start the car without pushing in the clutch. Some old cars, or new cars with aftermarket remote starters still have this issue. I just don't want to hear about you doing this swap then find out you drove the car through your house while starting it in the morning to go to work or something. :lol:

i didnt read much of what you guys read but i have a svx and i love that thing it gets up and rips especially without a govern i've hit 130 no problem racing a m3

its to much fun but if you can find a svx i would just go that route because swap are fun but this is just such a cool looking car

(ps mines for sale :) )

Oh, and one last thing...

If you do decide to go with a 5 speed transmission BE CAREFUL. Since you're going to wire the EG33 computer so that it forever thinks its stuck in neutral, you'll be able to start the car without pushing in the clutch.

not if you install the clutch properly

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

i didnt read much of what you guys read but i have a svx and i love that thing it gets up and rips especially without a govern i've hit 130 no problem racing a m3 its to much fun but if you can find a svx i would just go that route because swap are fun but this is just such a cool looking car

Be careful talking about street racing on LGT.com. Talking about illegal street racing puts you on the fast-track to getting lectured. ;)

Also, how much is your SVX? ;)

if you want a svx.. come up to canada, there cheap and tend to last longer as the tranny doesnt overheat as fast in our cooler climate :p

2500$ CAD

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1992-Subaru-SVX-W0QQAdIdZ229540674#

http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/100912/152r5/073247f_20.jpeg

teh sex

Didn't subaru make an H6 in a 3.0 liter displacement? I think they were for the 3rd gen outbacks if I'm not mistaken. How much of a power difference is there between the 3.3 and the 3.0? Reason I ask is because it seems like there are some issues swapping in the 3.3, as opposed to the 3.0 which seems like it would swap right on with little to no modification required.

Archived