LegacyGT.com

Strange Brembo or brake pad problem

rnstein69

Well, I finished my Brembo conversion this past weekend and everything seems to be great so far except for one problem. On the rear right wheel the rotor has a ring of rust around the outer surface edge indicating that the pad is not making full contact if any contact with the rotors surface. What can be causing this? Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Here is a pic (sorry for the crappy cell phone pic) of what I just described:

http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/2/pic32.jpg

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
no pic for the loose. i dont have my rears on yet, but how big a ring we talking? My oem lgt brake setup i removed this weekend the front had about a 2mm ring around the edge of the rotor. Havent had my brembos on long enough to tell whats going on with them yet. Seems like the pads hit all the way to the edge. maybe 1-2mm from it.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

the caliper has to be on just a little crooked or something. I would suggest taking that caliper off and reinstalling it tightening each bolt a few turns at a time to get it to sit flush against the rotor. If that doesn't work, that bracket might be a little off or something.

no pic for the loose. i dont have my rears on yet, but how big a ring we talking? My oem lgt brake setup i removed this weekend the front had about a 2mm ring around the edge of the rotor. Havent had my brembos on long enough to tell whats going on with them yet. Seems like the pads hit all the way to the edge. maybe 1-2mm from it.

You know, I noticed that problem on my fronts, there is a rust ring developing on the surface that is about 1 or maybe 2 mm wide on the inside part (closest to the center) of the rotor surface. not a huge deal, but I guess the front calipers dont line up perfectly with the rotors. Do you have the same issue?

You know, I noticed that problem on my fronts, there is a rust ring developing on the surface that is about 1 or maybe 2 mm wide on the inside part (closest to the center) of the rotor surface. not a huge deal, but I guess the front calipers dont line up perfectly with the rotors. Do you have the same issue?

Normal. Pad is not wiping that portion of the rotor face.

On the rear right wheel the rotor has a ring of rust around the outer surface edge indicating that the pad is not making full contact if any contact with the rotors surface.

What brackets are you using? Is that a Legacy hybrid rotor or an STi version?

So I guess the thing to do is to remove the pads and maybe the rear caliper that is problematic and reinstall everything? Maybe something is not lined up quite right?

Otherwise, braking is very much improved over stock. I am very happy with this setup.

What brackets are you using? Is that a Legacy hybrid rotor or an STi version?

Brackets I am using the relocation brackets from fastwrx.com

All of the rotors are STi rotors. I got the custom e brake shoes from unclemat so I was able to use STi rotors in the rear. DBA 4000 slotted rotors all around.

yeah that is normal. thats what i was trying to explain. now that i see your pic i realize you actually have a problem.

i also just got brackets from fastwrx but have not installed my rear brembos yet as i am awaiting rotors from centric. i did just order all the oem brake shims from 5 star perf (fred beans) for all 4 corners. my fronts with axxis ults squeel horribly under minor braking when manuevering around a parking alot. hopefully the shims put an end to that. the ones in the rear are $5.71 a set and you need 2. The fronts you need 8 different shims. Total was $70 all around.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

The Axxis are probably not going to get much better even with the shims. That's just how semi-metalic pads are. My HP+ are not bad right now, cause I put em in Monday and gooed up the backing plates with the Hawk Fluid, but once I hit the track May 2, 4, 5 they'll be squeeling for sure.

-mike

I dont really have any brake squeel as I also applied the grease that came with the pads when installing them. I will get a very slight squeel when tapping the brakes but nothing significant. I guess when I auto x a few hard stomps on the brakes will set them in.

My HP+ are not bad right now, cause I put em in Monday and gooed up the backing plates with the Hawk Fluid, but once I hit the track May 2, 4, 5 they'll be squeeling for sure.

Don't even bother using anti-squeal goop if you're going to track on the pads. As soon as your first session is done, it will be a charred, ash mess and make for a difficult extraction of your shims when you replace the pads. Ask me how I know.:lol:

Don't even bother using anti-squeal goop if you're going to track on the pads. As soon as your first session is done, it will be a charred, ash mess and make for a difficult extraction of your shims when you replace the pads. Ask me how I know.:lol:

I don't use shims on my brakes. Besides the nice charred mess covers the gold brembos nicely :) The dust from the HP+ will cover the calipers and rims in no time also :)

-mike

I don't use shims on my brakes. Besides the nice charred mess covers the gold brembos nicely :) The dust from the HP+ will cover the calipers and rims in no time also
If you're not using shims, even less of a reason for the ant-squeal, IMO. And that's not dust on the calipers, its the fantastic gold paint melting to street cred brown;)

Well, I checked out my rear pads this past weekend and there is the slightest bit of surface rust on them that correlates to where the rust is on the surface of the rotors. The rust on the rotors seems to be "fading" or wearing down, so I am assuming that the pads are beginning to wear in. I think in another 2 to 3 weeks the pads should be worn in pretty much completely.

Oh, and my HPS pads did not come with shims so they are pretty much slid right in against the caliper piston so uneven or crooked shims would not be the issue here.

Thanks for the help and comments everyone.

bump..

This problem is still lingering. My braking feels great, but that nasty rust ring on the outer edge of the rotor just does not sit right with me. I am wondering if and/or when I have to change brake pads, will I have to wait for them to completely wear in so that the rotors will no longer have that nasty rust ring?

I can't imagine what would cause this, I mean, the pads are definitely making contact towards the center of the rotor, but what would cause them to not make contact (or little contact) towards the outer edge?

Well the outter edge of any brake rotor does not have contact from the pads. That's an easy way to know how badly you need rotors, if there is a significant lip, you need new rotors etc.

If the swept area is different or smaller than what others who have the same setup (caliper/rotor) then you can compare them and take it from there.

-mike

Archived