LegacyGT.com

Shaking with New Rotors?

swestlund

So I recently discovered that I had a frozen slide pin on my front passenger side. I did some poking around, and noticed that my rotors (both sides) had some uneven wear on the back side, and needed to be replaced.

I replaced the bracket (only the bracket, not the caliper) on the passenger side, and did both rotors.

Now, I am getting slight shaking when braking at 75mph...and I can't for the life of me figure out why! I was meticulous when I was putting things back together, as I had a similar problem with a Volvo a few years ago, but apparently there's something still not quite right. After parking, I took some time to feel both rims on the front, and the drivers side is MUCH hotter than the passenger. I could keep my hand on the passenger side with no problems, but the drivers side was hot enough that I naturally pulled my hand away almost immediately.

Now: one of the pistons on the drivers side was pretty stiff compared to the other three. Could this be causing an issue?

One other thing: I ran brand new high end pads on the uneven inside of the rotors for one 50 mile day, but enough that the inside pads began to conform to that shape. Nothing extreme, mind you, just a bit deeper wear on the middle inch of the rotor, and gradually lessening towards the outer edges of the rotor. Could this cause any issue?

So my main questions are:

1: Is the stiff piston causing the shaking while braking from higher speeds?

2: Is the stiff piston causing the higher drivers side brake assembly temperature?

3: Do I need to start with 100% new pads on 100% new rotors, and could 99.9% new pads cause shaking on 100% new rotors?

4: *insert question here that I'm not experienced enough to know I need to ask...*

I'm on the verge of taking it in, but after all the time/energy/money spent on this, I want to make sure I can't get everything worked out on my own. :p

Thanks in advance!

The slider pins are all working perfectly, and are well-greased.

When you say "replace them", do you mean replace the caliper as well? Or do you mean replace the pins and basically rebuild the caliper?

If so...do you have any resources to share with me on that task? :)

If the pins are good, Id be suspicious of the caliper with the stiff piston then.

I see the pins listed on NAPA's site, Subaru lists a 'rebuild kit' for the caliper, but no detail as to what's in it. Rockauto also lists the slider pins.

I'd still suspect the caliper if one of the pistons was hard to push back into the bore.

Archived