LegacyGT.com

excess noise in the cabin

Does any buddy else seem that there is a lot of road noise coming from the tires or is it just not enough noise isolation or both. It seems that the tires or something just hums over concrete and it's better on blacktop.I'm thinking on switching tires to see if that takes care of the problem.

And would under coating be worth the money for more sound deading....thanks for any info!

I find the LGT (and OB) to be quite quiet. It was quieter than the G35, TL, etc. that I compared when test driving.

Tires can make a big difference. Read tire reviews on tires.com for some opinions.

I'm very pleased with the lack of road noise. Of course, if you can always drive on asphalt (vs concrete), it's amazingly serene.

Does any buddy else seem that there is a lot of road noise coming from the tires or is it just not enough noise isolation or both. It seems that the tires or something just hums over concrete and it's better on blacktop.I'm thinking on switching tires to see if that takes care of the problem.

And would under coating be worth the money for more sound deading....thanks for any info!

I agree with you. I feel when wearing my headpiece to my cellphone I find it hard to hear the other person due to the excessive road noise. I don't believe it's the tires because I also hear a lot of wind noise as well. I disagree with the other posts saying the G35 and TL don't seem as quiet. My previous car was an Audi and it was a lot quiter. I am using the same ear piece that I used when I owned my Audi and I was able to hear the other person fine.

I don't think there is anything that can be done...I think this is how the car was built..and I am learning to live with it.

I think it really depends on the quality of the road. On freshly paved asphalt, it's whisper quiet except for the smacks you hear from the rocks getting kicked up into your windshield. If I drive on rougher roads like concrete freeways, it can get really loud, and sometimes a howling from the tires. The low profile tires don't help either.

Coming from a mostly Impreza/Forester backround,I find the GT very quiet even with Bridgestone ReO70s that are a fairly noisy tire.

Rudy

ps ,,my 03 Forester XS is one loud critter,It's my wifes ride but when I occasionaly drive it I'm surprised how loud it is,,and not tire noise either.

I think it really depends on the quality of the road. On freshly paved asphalt, it's whisper quiet except for the smacks you hear from the rocks getting kicked up into your windshield. If I drive on rougher roads like concrete freeways, it can get really loud, and sometimes a howling from the tires. The low profile tires don't help either.

All that is true but a lot of people have said moving to some different tires has improved it a lot. The RE92s aren't that bad but for what they cost they should be a lot better. I will replace mine when the time comes with something else, but it seems there are a lot of other tires out there people have suggested that will perform better and cost less.

Wow, from the replies here you'd never believe we all own the same car....

But yeah, the LGT isn't exactly a bank vault on the highway. Some types of road surfaces really are loud compared to a lot of other sedans. Doesn't bother me - you can't have a car that goes and handles this well and expect it to be whisper quiet also. But as said, the RE92's probably cause a lot of it. They sure do like to follow grooves in the pavement, too.

I think our sense of "loud" depends quite a bit on what vehicle(s) we've owned prior to our LGTs.

Compared against my parents' Lexus', the LGT seems almost like a rock concert at half-volume. :lol: But at the same time, compared against my wife's '05 WRX - which, BTW, is painfully stock - the LGT is like a bank-vault.

The truth of the matter, I believe, lies somewhere in-between those two extremes. Yes, the LGT is a decently subdued family sedan, but it is by no means near the most quiet of the bunch, either.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived