LegacyGT.com

Any idea what this sound is? (video inside)

Hello,

I went Stage 2 last weekend and got tuned, etc. and the car drives great. I love it and am already planning my next upgrades. Today after driving the car all morning/afternoon I got into boost and hear this nasty squeal/screeching sound coming from the motor area. It definitely only happens in boost and only after vacuum is broken (I don't have a boost gauge so I can't say exactly when). The car drives no different than normal but it's really obnoxious. I'm thinking it's a boost leak but after making sure all connections on the TMIC were secure I'm not so sure. I've re-used the TMIC gaskets but they're just rubber - I can't imagine that's what the issue is. Anyway, has anyone ever heard or seen this? All the help is appreciated!

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k265/David343/th_IMG_0001.jpg

I personally can't tell much, but figure for the heck of it your recirc valce could be opening under boost. I really doubt it though. Would make more sense if your turbo was rubbing a bit. Again, just shots in the dark. Good luck.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

it sounds like a creaming woman locked in your trunk... dude did you beat up your wife than locked her in the trunk by chance.

Naw that's just my girlfriend... nothing to see here... move along...

It's just odd that it started happening NOW after being Stage 2 for almost a full week... I don't quite get it. If it was the turbo you'd think it'd make a sound anytime it was moving which it doesn't. I can boost a little bit before I hear the screech.

it sounds like a creaming woman locked in your trunk... dude did you beat up your wife than locked her in the trunk by chance.

I think you're going to find the one person who experienced their wife being locked in a trunk and is not happy about it. Well you never know :lol:

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

I can't play the video, but I bet my car is doing the same thing. I did have a small end tank leak but replaced the TMIC and the noise is still there. Last night did another pressure test and I have no vacuum leaks.

I can coast in neutral with the clutch out, quickly rev the engine to over 6000 and no noise.

I have had the noise for about a month now.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/end-tank-leak-139524.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds similar to an exhaust leak I had on my car. Turned out that the downpipe to turbo nuts had gotten loose and come off after a weekend HPDE. It's easy to check, so I'd start there (and the upipe bolts; make sure everything is tight)

• Mega Users

Good lord!!!

I thought this was going to be another posted video where no one can hear anything discernable.

It's just your car screaming, having a good time.

Definitely sounds like an exhaust leak. It is recommended that after installing any exhaust unit to bring it up to temp, let it cool down, and then re-tighten everything (back to torque specs).

I'm hedging my bets on the leak being at the turbo to downpipe connection. Good luck

My recirc valve squeals a LITTLE under boost when the time is right but nothing like that. My header to UP leak sounded like a 8 year old being forced to play the french horn (under boost of course). My DP to catback leak (3" DP to 2.5" catback when I was still rocking the OEM catback) maybe gave the tinest bit of squeak under boost but still nothing quite like the sound your car is making.

I hope it is a leak at the DP or something...

Either a boost leak or an exhaust leak between the engine and the turbo.

This is my bet. Made the mistake of trying to reuse a downpipe gasket once, ended up with a very loud squeel under boost. No other noises/concerns, just a very loud shreek/squeel noise when turbo spooled. Sounds a lot like what you've got going on, esp. since you just had work done. Probably gonna be hard to verify for sure, esp. without a chasis ear. Best advice I have is to double check all your work, and if any exhaust gaskets were reused, replace them. Also make sure all your exhaust bolts/nuts are tight.

Also, make sure your clamp at the intercooler outlet is tight. There'll be a fairly short, black hose (2-3" diameter) on the L/R of your engine where the TMIC attaches to the intake. If either of the clamps on that hose is loose, it'll also squeel.

Jeremy

p.s. Familiar with David Hume's writings at all?

• Mega Users
Sounds like you have shaft play in your turbo and the blades are coming in contact with the housing.

I don't know about that. Those blades are awfully soft and they are under tremendous forces. It seems to me if there was shaft play, they would get bent once and stay out of the way. Unless it kept getting more and more out of whack. Then there would just be a blown turbo...

at least it doesnt sound like a turbo failure to me :)

The turbo hasn't failed....it's failing...big difference. With minor shaft play (which will become more and more over time), the blades will come in slight contact with the housing making this sound.

Now, I'm not saying this is the only possible thing that it is, but it sure as hell sounds like it to me.

Archived