LegacyGT.com

GPS Install - TOM TOM

Sponge

My wife got me a TOM TOM GPS for my birthday over the weekend.

I can't stand the stick stuff on the windsheild, clip it on the vent look of aftermarket electronics...drives me nuts.

Has anyone ever installed one of these in the cubby? Will I get reception or does it need to be on the windshield?

I used the suction cup thing on the left side of the dash/windsheild tucked into the corner and it doesn't look too bad...it will run on battery for 2 hours but for longer trips I figured I can run power down the side of the dash to the fuse panel or over to the center console outlet pretty easily just need a longer power cord...

I refuse to do the stuck in the middle of the windsheild thing.

Any pics or placement advise?

• 2 weeks later...

i know you didnt like the window location.. but here is mine anyways. i thought its a decent place. =) something to share if you dont like any other ideas...

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e141/ssjgotou/navi_small.jpg

If you install it in a way with the cubby that its inside the cubby it wont work, however if you install it where the top of the unit is exposed you should have enough to get signal. The other alternative is if you did want to install it physically inside the cubby you can get an external GPS antenna which will get you better reception then the stock one anyway.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

That's where mine resides right now too. Nice wire tuck did you try the vent closer to the windshield?

i did, but it took a little bit more time. so i just stuck it through there. and also the line wasnt too flexible so i tried to avoid the bending of the wire. so i thought coming from the vent there was best.

Archived