LegacyGT.com

KZR750R1 2006 OBXT Head Gasket/Motor Refresh

Well I have the heads back. Not happy.

The second set of time serts still didn't seat all the way. So spot face to get them flush with the aluminum... First head after this looked good.

Second one he borked the thing and cut too much material on two sides of the plug seating surface and counter bored it a little. :(

Have to sleep on it some to decide to plow forward and hope the plug seals or bite it and get two new castings. Then find another machine shop. :(

Also found out I need to pay a load to the state and feds. This life thing is not getting any easier.

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I have the heads back. Not happy.

The second set of time serts still didn't seat all the way. So spot face to get them flush with the aluminum... First head after this looked good.

Second one he borked the thing and cut too much material on two sides of the plug seating surface and counter bored it a little. :(

Have to sleep on it some to decide to plow forward and hope the plug seals or bite it and get two new castings. Then find another machine shop. :(

Also found out I need to pay a load to the state and feds. This life thing is not getting any easier.

It can be rough at times, friend. :( I hope it gets better for you soon!

So I'm at a cross road. The machine shop failed me on the time sert install so I have two options here. Find used heads to swap my parts (if needed) or buy new cores.

Who has the best price on new cores?

Although I feel these guys tried their best I feel this was a little beyond their capabilities.

If I get new cores IMHO they should be making this right. At this moment I'm not a happy customer.

Thats an option three...But I seriously doubt it.

First that time sert would have to be pulled, AGAIN... number three for that hole if it survived.

Unless there is some magical fill stick for this kind of aluminum I really doubt a wire feed or tig could get down there.

I just don't see this plug staying sealed or tight over the long term with this much material cut away. All the other holes were good... But this one.

IMG_4514.thumb.jpg.a3b4a8472da9910899564e37cd8360e5.jpg

I'd try to find some good used heads. I got complete heads with around 50,000km on for about $500.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Contact Subaru Auto Recyclers in Rancho Cordova, 916-905-4782, they might have some heads.

They are also a bunch of D-Bags every time I've tried to buy something from them it's been a clusterfu*k caused by them. "oh yeah we have it" *drive out* "No sorry we don't have that":mad:

2003 Baja 5MT

2016 Outback 2.5i Premium w/Eyesight

• 2 months later...

Well after a few months of saving I'm back in the hunt for solutions to fix these heads/buy new cores/ready to run heads.

I'm pensive of getting the 2004 ready to run heads posted at car parts but thats still it seems an option as well. Means I have to trust again and having an issue with that.

So you can see what my issue is here this is the one thing that is keeping me from running these heads.

No fing way im putting this head on the motor.

IMG_4514.thumb.jpg.64d08c7704358f65fb02b0bb2955822c.jpg

There is a timesert in there.

Issue is the plug is not going to have 100% mating surface to lock down.

The timeserts never seated properly after two attempts.

Second time I asked them to mill the residual shoulder down so the plugs would mate correctly to the head. This hole may have been the first attempt with the wrong end mill.

• 3 weeks later...
Not having any luck locally... Sending them down to Infamous and M Sprank will get his machine shop to either fix this borked timesert install or replace the core. If I go the replace core route the second head will follow for them to be a clean rebuilt pair. Need this saga behind me.

Wow, you couldn't find a trusted machine shop. Every time I hear this, I'm so thankful to live where I do.

I have expressed this to my machine shop. I've been around the area, say a 30 miles radius, to different auto parts stores and when I talk with the counter guy's or at different repair shops while dropping up other friends cars and ask them about machine shops, 95% or more always tell me they recommend my buddies shop. Eastwoods Auto Machine in Somersville CT.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not having any luck locally... Sending them down to Infamous and M Sprank will get his machine shop to either fix this borked timesert install or replace the core. If I go the replace core route the second head will follow for them to be a clean rebuilt pair. Need this saga behind me.

Try Rob's Auto Machine in Hayward. GST Motorsports uses them exclusively.