LegacyGT.com

97 Outback limited - doors unlock with key

On my 95 Legacy when I turn the key a certain way to unlock the doors, I can unlock all the doors.

On my new to me 97 Outback Limited you can't unlock all the doors with the key. If I turn the key to the left, nothing happens, no door actuators are activated.

Should the key be able to unlock all doors, if yes what could be wrong?

Hm? I don't have a key fob. So this car has a remote entry and all I need is a key fob?

You have to use the key fob to open ALL the doors. The key will only lock/unlock the door into which it is inserted.

If it's the Limited, I'm pretty sure remote entry was standard. Do you have a little red light in one of the blank switch spaces to the left of the steering column? (Next to the fog light switch.)

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. Turns out it was an option. You can also check under the dash to see if the remote entry unit is there. It's a small box typically zip-tied near all the wiring, and there should be a little round button (separate) there somewhere that you use to reprogram it and stuff.

No red light by the fog light button.

It is odd because you can turn the key to the left, now why would it do that if there is no function. I thought most cars worked the locks with the key opening all doors. All my cars do it, my - 95 Caddie, 90 Jaguar, 95 Legacy and 2003 Saturn. Oh well it is what it is. :icon_neut

If it's the Limited, I'm pretty sure remote entry was standard. Do you have a little red light in one of the blank switch spaces to the left of the steering column? (Next to the fog light switch.)

EDIT: Oops, nevermind. Turns out it was an option. You can also check under the dash to see if the remote entry unit is there. It's a small box typically zip-tied near all the wiring, and there should be a little round button (separate) there somewhere that you use to reprogram it and stuff.

95s and 96s locked and unlocked all doors when the driver door was locked or unlocked. either with the key or by the lock button inside on the door. (or the key fob) it did not matter, all door locks worked as one.

in 97 they added a ''lock '' button on the door next to the window controls and the electric locks changed. if you push the ''lock / unlock'' button by the window controls, all doors are included. but if you use a key or the lock by the door latch handle, only the driver door operated.

i think in the 90s the were a bunch of ''car-jackings'' where the bad guy would jump in the car as soon as the driver unlocked the driver door.

it was a safety thing.

It is odd because you can turn the key to the left, now why would it do that if there is no function. I thought most cars worked the locks with the key opening all doors.

Pretty sure turning the key to the left re-locks the door, lol, so it has a function. If it isn't doing that, your mechanism might be messed up. Unless I'm confusing my car with the supervisor vehicles at work, which is very possible because the only time I ever use my key is on -20 degree days when the mechanism is so cold and stiff that the electric door locks don't work.

The idea behind only opening one door is for security, so that some evil baddie can't jump in from the passenger side as you're getting in.

I do use the unlock button on the door to unlock the passengers door. It just means my wife has to wait a bit longer.

Safety? Another nice thing that is lost to planners wanting to keep us safe. Well there is always another side of that story. Imagine that you are in a bad part of town and someone nasty is coming your way. Turning the key to unlock all doors would mean everyone could get in the car much quicker than waiting for the driver to open the door and press the door open button. I like the button better than the having to reach between the door handle.

Not a biggie. I have bigger fish to fry such as trying to get rid of the lumpy loping idle.

95s and 96s locked and unlocked all doors when the driver door was locked or unlocked. either with the key or by the lock button inside on the door. (or the key fob) it did not matter, all door locks worked as one.

in 97 they added a ''lock '' button on the door next to the window controls and the electric locks changed. if you push the ''lock / unlock'' button by the window controls, all doors are included. but if you use a key or the lock by the door latch handle, only the driver door operated.

i think in the 90s the were a bunch of ''car-jackings'' where the bad guy would jump in the car as soon as the driver unlocked the driver door.

it was a safety thing.

Yes left locks the door and turning to the right does nothing. I think I was backward with my description.

Pretty sure turning the key to the left re-locks the door, lol, so it has a function. If it isn't doing that, your mechanism might be messed up. Unless I'm confusing my car with the supervisor vehicles at work, which is very possible because the only time I ever use my key is on -20 degree days when the mechanism is so cold and stiff that the electric door locks don't work.

The idea behind only opening one door is for security, so that some evil baddie can't jump in from the passenger side as you're getting in.

i know what you are talking about, honestly, pretty handy..

but it was only a feature in the 1995 Legacys

and the 96 year as well.

the one turn/unlock all doors was 95 only!

the 96s and up do not - at least the 2 '96s i tried it on

no keyless until '97, unless you have an aftermarket setup, just look under the dash, its not easy to miss a big box

the 96 GT i just purchased does the all unlock from the driver door the same as my 95 L wagon.

also, turning key left unlocks, turning key to the right locks all doors. this is the same on both my cars.

Archived