LegacyGT.com

My 05 LGT Automatic BROKE today!! Bah.

shocker

First time I've had her break, I'm heartbroken and pissed. It is driving, but I'm not sure how far I should drive it without knowing what's wrong, the symptoms:

CEL is on.

CRUISE light in flashing.

AUTO tranny won't shift into "5th" gear (it'll claim it's in 5th in sport mode, but it's not according to revs). I figured this out because normally, 3k rpm = 80mph, tonight 3k rpm was about 72mph, and 80mph was closer to 3500 rpm. This issue happened once before, but just went away on it's one (maybe a month ago).

The CEL and CRUISE light though? Wtf! I can't turn the cruise control on or off, the light just sits and flashes. Can't hear anything really odd, though.

Meh, I'm pissed, car is covered under warranty, but that does me no good for tomorrow, since the dealer isn't opened til monday. I'm in the greater Manchester, NH area.

Have them take a look at the O2 sensor or one of the tranmission solenoids.

First time I've had her break, I'm heartbroken and pissed. It is driving, but I'm not sure how far I should drive it without knowing what's wrong, the symptoms:

CEL is on.

CRUISE light in flashing.

AUTO tranny won't shift into "5th" gear (it'll claim it's in 5th in sport mode, but it's not according to revs). I figured this out because normally, 3k rpm = 80mph, tonight 3k rpm was about 72mph, and 80mph was closer to 3500 rpm. This issue happened once before, but just went away on it's one (maybe a month ago).

The CEL and CRUISE light though? Wtf! I can't turn the cruise control on or off, the light just sits and flashes. Can't hear anything really odd, though.

Meh, I'm pissed, car is covered under warranty, but that does me no good for tomorrow, since the dealer isn't opened til monday. I'm in the greater Manchester, NH area.

reset the code and see if it comes back. if you don't have access to a scan tool, pull the neg battery cable for a few minutes.

btw, have you checked you trans fluid level?? i'm not sure about subbies, but others makes low on fluid will set a code....

Are you stock???

Just take the car into the dealer on monday. I assume you do not have a Accessport, If you did you'd be up and running now......

What were you doing when the cel first went off?

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I was pulling into a parking spot in snow, backed up and noticed the light had gone on. Parked, came out later, and it was still on (after I started the car again).

I don't think the tranny shifting and the CEL issue are related, just because I've had the tranny issue before, without the CEL.

I don't have an accessport so I've gotta go to the dealer on monday. What does the flashing CRUISE light mean?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions, guys.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, But I do believe that 5EAT doesn't like when some wheels spin and others don't. So driving in the snow could throw a CEL.

The shifting problem sounds more like the torque converter not locking up rather than 5th not engaging.

Search the forum.... there is a way to read the CEL code using the odometer readout.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

It's limp mode. As someone else mentioned, 5EAT doesn't like it when some wheels spin and others are stopped.

I was out of town a few weeks ago and my girlfriend decided to drive through a blizzard with my LGT (instead of her WRX wagon) and she called me to tell me that she "broke my car". She drove into 8 inches of untouched snow and hit the brake. Next thing she knew, the car wouldn't move, the CEL was on, and the cruise light was flashing.

She called a tow truck driver--he got in the car, put it in reverse, and backed up for $75. She learned her lesson.

I came home the next day and drove through all sorts of snow without any problems. The CEL was still on for a little while but it went away within a day.

Drive for your trip. You shouldn't have any problems. Just stop driving like a girl in the snow. :)

Archived