LegacyGT.com

Tire Woes...

Hi guys, I bought a used '05 LGT back in November (33k on it) and have been lurking here for a while reading, but haven't made a post.

I hit a curb tonight (tight turn in a parking garage, my mistake I guess) and now have a bubble on my left rear tire. I decided to throw the donut on for the drive home JUST IN CASE. I got home and took the tire inside to look at, the bubble is right on the sidewall, and is about the size of a quarter, but a bit longer, so oval shaped. I know I need to replace the tire, but first, a few questions:

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE92 215 45Z R17 on there right now, they have ~5mm to the bottom tread and ~3mm to wear indicator left on them.

Do I need to replace all four corners now?

Can I get away with replacing just ONE tire?

Does it have to be the same make/model as what I have on there, if I only put 1 tire on?

If I have to get four new tires, what does everyone recommend for the stock wheels? I don't know much about the tires out there, so would appreciate a recommendation for a nice all-season tire! (my friend mentioned that a 225 45Z R17 would ft, and ride a bit better than the 215's).

Lastly, I am tempted to put this tire back on for my commute tomorrow, rather than use the donut. I have a 50 mile R/T commute all highway, and feel like this tire might be safer than the donut, despite the bubble, true or false?

Thanks for the help guys, I look forward to more posts on here!

You will definately need to replace all four tires. The 225 width tire will work fine, and in fact, many members here run the 225 width tire on their stock wheels. As far as tires, most tires will be a good replacement compared to the re92s. Sticking w/ Bridgestone, the nicer tires, such as the re960s, and a couple of other lines, are good choices. If you prefer more affordable tires, Falkens, like the fk452, are good tires. If you like Goodyear, the Eagle F1 GSD3s are highly liked and recommended among the members here. As far as your doughnut goes, you are more than likely better off w/ the tire with the bubble rather than the doughnut. Doughnuts are meant for very short stints only. Good luck.

Bridgestone warranty's tires, Subaru does nothing even at 3 miles past sale with them.

Look in the Marketplace section of this board and try to find a replacement RE92 of similar wear if local. There are many people selling there and on NASIOC.com too since same size RE92 is OEM on 06+ WRX.

Alternatively the Bridgestone RE960 are a top tier choice for an Ultra High Performance All-Season.

Forget the tire warranty, and forget replacing one tire - you need 4 more. What do you want in a tire? If you don't want to think and just want to be told what to do :) then go to tirerack.com and pick up a set of Avon Tech M550's (all season) in 225/45/17 (not 215 - minimal difference but better handling). These are about $104 per.

If you want to think, start reading the wheel& tire threads.

G/L

I agree, do some research. But for an all season tire I had the Goodyear Triple Tread Assurance on a previous car and absolutely loved them. Even drove them in some snow and they are fine. I plan to replace mine with these when the time comes. I would go ahead and do all four though.

DO NOT DRIVE WITH THE BUBBLE TIRE! A friend of mine has a tire shop and said that not only will the wheel be off balance, but the the bubble could continue to grow and if the tire gets hot enough (i.e., from a long commute) you could have a blow-out. Your other tires are so far gone you might as well replace all 4. Start reading the the wheels/tire section. If cost is an issue right now, check out the classifieds, someone always seems to have some RE92's for sale.

^^^exactly correct on the blow out factor; the reason the bubble has appeared

is because of the impact, a small cut was made on the inner wall of the inside of

the tire. air is slowly seeping between the plies of the sidewall, making that

bubble. if it was a warm summer day, the hole would expand and the bubble

would get bigger as well. we had one brought in on a pick up the size of a

softball not too long ago.....

Archived