LegacyGT.com

1995 legacy having some issues

Not sure if this is the right place to post it. But looked better than any of the other ones ha ha. I have a 1995 Subaru Lagacy (as stated) I'm having some starting issues. I took it to my local mechanic and they said it was the starter. So I had them change it. And she still will not start. I'm getting the "regular" noise of the engine trying to turn over but it won't. The check engine light is on for the knock sensor (which is getting fixed as we speak) but I've been told it isn't that either. So if someone could help me out that would be awesome!

I'm getting the "regular" noise of the engine trying to turn over but it won't.

the starter turns the engine but the engine will not start?

does it sound like some plugs are firing but not all,

or no plugs are firing?

or the starter is not turning the engine at all????

did the car quit running,?

or you turned it off and it would not start?

where did the starter come from?

was it new or re-man?

The same exact thing happened with my 95 legacy. The car would crank fine but not start. No check engine lights and replacing plugs, coilpack and wires did nothing. In the end it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor died. Easy fix. The sensor is located under the altenator right behind the crank pulley and is one bolt and a electrical connector and it should slide out. New sensor from the autoparts store should be $30-$50

Johnegg: it sounds like it's about to run but the engine never turns over. It will start once in a while (I've had this problem since Thursday) it will run when it turns on but once you shut it off it won't start back up. And it's a new starter.

Kurtis9813: I will definitely be trying that

does hot vs. cold make a difference?

hard to start in the morning,

but restarts ok?

or starts in the morning, engine cold, but no restart when warm,

like when you go to the store?

try wiggling the wire connector for the MAF.

the first wires connected to the plastic air intake after the filter box.

The same exact thing happened with my 95 legacy. The car would crank fine but not start. No check engine lights and replacing plugs, coilpack and wires did nothing. In the end it turned out to be the crankshaft sensor died. Easy fix. The sensor is located under the altenator right behind the crank pulley and is one bolt and a electrical connector and it should slide out. New sensor from the autoparts store should be $30-$50

same thing happened to my 96 GT. i switched the crank sensor out with the one in my 95 and it started right up. i ended up pulling one off of a junker at the pick n pull for a few bucks to put back in my 95.

Johnegg: it was starting when left like driving to the store then coming out and it wouldn't start

it was not the crank sensor it I've got it narrowed down to fuel pump and fuel pump relay.

I really appreciate the responses.

and if anyone knows a good subaru mechanic near Rockford IL that would be awesome.

if it starts when cold in the mornig,

but not when warm,

after driving to work or the store,

it may be the ECTS, electronic coolant temp sensor.

it is located under the intake on the passenger side in the crossover pipe.

there are 2 of them,

the one that sends info to the ECU is the 2 wire unit.

the one wire unit only sends info to the dash temp gauge.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/366494903601.png

ects in above pic is item # 1 i think,

but either 1 or 4.

the left end of #5 is the top rad hose.

the sensor looks like below.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/wt5056-1.jpg

Archived