LegacyGT.com

First time Subaru owner looking for advice

Install an aftermarket supercharger/turbo or sell it and buy a WRX. Just kidding...well not really...check out XRT tuning they are doing some things with the 2.5i/cvt. But be realistic you bought an economy car, don't expect performance out of it.

XRT tuning will definitely get you some better performance out of the 2.5 CVT, but the cost point can be a bit steep if you're looking for a quick solution. Since you'll need a Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 module in order to do the tuning, which is a $160 cost of it's own not taking into account the fee for tuning. However, this is likely the best current way to get performance increase out of a 2.5i apart from adding a supercharger/turbo. Your car will feel transformed.

You can try the AEM drop in filter for a slight boost in engine noise and mileage. It's part # 28-20304 and is only about $40 and installs in 5 minutes. I personally thought I felt a slight increase in acceleration, may have just been placebo.

Adding to Humble, you can get an exhaust to help, it will make more noise then power and their are supercharger options for power. The 2.5i has a displacement limitation in N/A form. You might get to 190 at the crank if all works out. Which is still 15hp and would be noticeable.

The biggest hp would be the changing of gas to a higher octane which can be benefited by the tune.

Alright cool, yeah I know I should have bought a WRX but I bought this originally for a family car. I'm really not looking for crazy power but I figured there was some way to get a little extra. I know it's an economy car but I love the looks of it and not really trying to spend thousands maybe just a few. Well thanks guys I appreciate it even the "NONE" guy, at least he was trying to be honest haha.

Glad to see you saw "honest". I understood what you were asking - and to what I guessed- my answer was appropriate. Now, you got a good wallet, there are some great ideas on this forum for another answer.....unless.... you wander to the thread on LGTs available and trade it. Some have beautiful rides here with your powertrain, and focused on the suspension instead... and there you can get some great improvements.

Good luck with the car!

I have been looking into a tune for my 2.5 N/A, and after reading all of the threads from XRT and Throttle Happy, it seems like the typical gain is around 5 HP. The biggest difference appears to be the ability to tune the CVT which in turn gives you a little more response.

Between the cable and the tune you are looking at around $400+ which I find a little hard to justify for the gains...now if one could share or borrow a cable then the picture looks a little better.

I love the 3.6R but all the ones I have found the mialage is not ideal. This car I have had from 18k and I know what maintenance has been done and how it's been driven. But I am always looking.

The 3.6 is pretty hard to mess up, none of the maintenance issues from the old 2.5 appear. No headgasket problems, or oil burning (typically) and the tuners can diagnose engine issues from the logs they get from us.

I have been looking into a tune for my 2.5 N/A, and after reading all of the threads from XRT and Throttle Happy, it seems like the typical gain is around 5 HP. The biggest difference appears to be the ability to tune the CVT which in turn gives you a little more response.

Between the cable and the tune you are looking at around $400+ which I find a little hard to justify for the gains...now if one could share or borrow a cable then the picture looks a little better.

Where are you from?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If that's the only gain then I'll just wait until I find a 3.6R haha

There really isn't any set budget yet, what do you have in mind??

Sweet, so the sky's the limit.

Cut the cat off your stock header and have a turbo flange welded on. Put on the smallest turbo you can find (maybe an old wrx td04) and a fmic and full custom exhaust and upgrade your fueling and there you go.

Or just get the cat removed and a tune, I hear that Subaru de-tunes the 2.5i for the pzev program.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLuQNJn0l94]Subaru Liberty (MY08 2.5) Supercharged[/ame]

Here's a supercharged one just getting it. Almost 270whp and 227wtq he stated. But, honestly everyone's right. Save your money. I couldn't imagine how much this costs. Supercharger Kit, Intercooler, aftermarket cams, header back exhaust.

Not sure of what the CVT in the 2.5i would handle but don't believe it to be much. Also as Picky1 said, price of cable and tune. Could go to a car that's already quicker out of the box.

I own a 2013 Legacy 2.5i non-turbo with CVT and would like to get some more horsepower. Preferably better acceleration from the start. What would be the best route to go??

I pretty much have the same car. The only thing I done was tint, HIDs and LEDs and I'm about to add remote starter and tires. I'm calling it a day since there is no need to poor money into it.

If you want a little power I would do exhaust, intake and coilovers and call it a day. If you want serious power I would just sell it and get a manual or non CVT trans.

It took me a long time (months) to get adjusted and feel for the CVT. I have to keep reminding myself every time I drive my Subi it's not like my other (2) vehicles where I can WOT from the get-go. The thing I like most is the gas mileage (it does better then our old 2001 Honda Civic) and being AWD and I have not got stuck (1) time in the snow yet on crappy OEM stock tires.

Archived