LegacyGT.com

Perrin catless downpipe, SPT catback, Cobb SF intake installed

KurtP

2009 legacy GT

Added the Perrin catless with SPT catback. I would like to say that for a guy who likes his cars stiff as boards, I like my exhaust mellow. My noise tolerance/threshold is pretty low. I dont like noise, I dont like drone, I dont like boxer rumble, I dont want to hear it much cruising around town. I want it to flow air and STFU....when I stand on the gas it can stand up and sing, but thats it.

This is only a tad too loud for my taste, but overall Im happy with this set up, and it is the quietest aftermarket subaru ive heard in a long time. Sitting at a stoplight, it is almost undetectable in the cabin. Catless odor is almost zero. Cruising around town leaves a mellow sound "in the back ground". Again, its a little louder than I like and im sure it will quiet down a little over the next few weeks. That being said, the noise is not intrusive to conversation or my music, so thats how it gets a pass. Under load at WOT it sounds very nice. Very smooth without alot of the boomy boxer rumble when compared to a STI with a big single can, for instance, which I appreciate. Robbie at Epic put it best when he heard it and knows my feelings on exhaust "you will like it, its "just enough" and overall, I have to agree.

Quality of the SPT exhaust seems to be nice. The mid pipe and y pipe are one piece with quality weld work. The y pipe and mufflers have a very nice polish look that is subtle, but noticeable from the rear of the car without screaming "hey look at me and my exhaust". Bends are very smooth. Tip size, imo, is just right. Fitment of the exhaust was outstanding.

The only thing that is being changed is we are getting a 3" flange to take the 2.5" neck down at the down pipe out to make it a true full 3" system.

I was worried that having a catless downpipe would make it overtly too loud, but it was not. Having the second muffler made all the difference.

Overall, great set up and a great exhaust.

Glad you like yours. Just got my set up put on (what a LONG ASS day and a half! :icon_frow) and I have to say I'm neither really digging the sound nor is the exhaust note close to what I was expecting.

For reference mine is custom M-R catted downpipe + XO2 Racing mid&Y pipe (with resonator) + stock mufflers. I even specifically went out of my way to source a mid&Y with a resonator because I've read that non-resonated aftermarket mid&Y plus stock cans sounds terrible.

The volume isn't loud, imo. But the note is leaning a bit toward high pitch and sounds rather "raw". The boxer rumble has mostly disappeared. From the initial impression I have to say I actually prefer the sound of my Hogzaust better. :rolleyes: Currently there is a very slight leak between the Y and the mufflers but I don't think that's much of a factor in this. I'm so baffled.

hmmm..... i can try and see what i can do tonight. would be kind of subjective because microphones naturally will drown out loud noise and amplify quieter ones.

I dont have a video camera, but I may be able to come up with some kind of voice recording on the iphone. (i only have 3g, not 3gs :() It sounds different when its on load....the sound doesnt get louder it just "fills out" and sounds alot better.

ill see what i can do tonight.

edit: if you arent in a super hurry, im getting the car tuned wed, and i could get a full rev-range pull on the dyno under load. that would be the best probably.

hmmm..... i can try and see what i can do tonight. would be kind of subjective because microphones naturally will drown out loud noise and amplify quieter ones.

I dont have a video camera, but I may be able to come up with some kind of voice recording on the iphone. (i only have 3g, not 3gs :() It sounds different when its on load....the sound doesnt get louder it just "fills out" and sounds alot better.

ill see what i can do tonight.

edit: if you arent in a super hurry, im getting the car tuned wed, and i could get a full rev-range pull on the dyno under load. that would be the best probably.

I'm not in any hurry. If you can get the full rev-range pull from your dyno run that would be awesome. :)

2009 legacy GT

Added the Perrin catless with SPT catback. I would like to say that for a guy who likes his cars stiff as boards, I like my exhaust mellow. My noise tolerance/threshold is pretty low. I dont like noise, I dont like drone, I dont like boxer rumble, I dont want to hear it much cruising around town. I want it to flow air and STFU....when I stand on the gas it can stand up and sing, but thats it.

This is only a tad too loud for my taste, but overall Im happy with this set up, and it is the quietest aftermarket subaru ive heard in a long time. Sitting at a stoplight, it is almost undetectable in the cabin. Catless odor is almost zero. Cruising around town leaves a mellow sound "in the back ground". Again, its a little louder than I like and im sure it will quiet down a little over the next few weeks. That being said, the noise is not intrusive to conversation or my music, so thats how it gets a pass. Under load at WOT it sounds very nice. Very smooth without alot of the boomy boxer rumble when compared to a STI with a big single can, for instance, which I appreciate. Robbie at Epic put it best when he heard it and knows my feelings on exhaust "you will like it, its "just enough" and overall, I have to agree.

Quality of the SPT exhaust seems to be nice. The mid pipe and y pipe are one piece with quality weld work. The y pipe and mufflers have a very nice polish look that is subtle, but noticeable from the rear of the car without screaming "hey look at me and my exhaust". Bends are very smooth. Tip size, imo, is just right. Fitment of the exhaust was outstanding.

The only thing that is being changed is we are getting a 3" flange to take the 2.5" neck down at the down pipe out to make it a true full 3" system.

I was worried that having a catless downpipe would make it overtly too loud, but it was not. Having the second muffler made all the difference.

Overall, great set up and a great exhaust.

I thought the Perrin downpipes were all full 3" (with 3" outlet flange)? I believe the catted dp's are 3". Good to know the catless models taper to 2.5" because I'd like to avoid using a reducer if possible. I'm buying an SPT catback in the near future and want a full 3" system. The perrin catted dp's are supposed to be a little quieter than catless, right?

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

2009 Spec.B SWP Stg 2+ Airboy tuned

2010 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 5.7

This is only a tad too loud for my taste, but overall Im happy with this set up, and it is the quietest aftermarket subaru ive heard in a long time. Sitting at a stoplight, it is almost undetectable in the cabin. Catless odor is almost zero. Cruising around town leaves a mellow sound "in the back ground". Again, its a little louder than I like and im sure it will quiet down a little over the next few weeks.

I have the catted perrin Y back with stock mufflers and love it. I'm sure the SPT cat back isn't too much louder.

But, exhausts don't get quieter over time, you simply get used to it.

Good review. I was reluctant to get an exhaust because I didn't want to attract too much attention and it sounds like yours is just right. I was also tuned by Robbie at epic, he's a good guy and definitely knows his stuff. I'd like to hear it in person if you are around the Raleigh area sometime.

I can see how what I wrote isnt clear:

the down pipe is a FULL 3". the spt catback necks down to 2.5" at the downpipe junction to fit the stock down pipe, which is what is being removed.

OK, thanks for clarifying...but WAIT...I thought the SPT exhaust was 3" all the way to the Y pipe? :spin: That's one of the reasons I wanted it

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Mine doesn't hang low at all if you mean the mufflers. They tuck up very nicely to the factory bumper. If you mean the y pipe you can see it from the rear of the car it's polished and looks very good IMO. I've never seen any other legacy exgausts in person to compare it too.

You wouldn't be able to change it because the spt system is a one piece mid and y pipe

• 5 months later...
It has a section of about 1/2 - 3/4 inch of 2.5 to mate up to a stock down pipe. It's not a problem to cut it out and put in a new flange

Dumb question, where did you get the 3" flange? Did you buy it, or was it supplied by a shop, etc? I'm leaning towards doing the same thing as you, buy want to make sure I get a flange that mates up perfectly to the downpipe.

2013 Ford Taurus SHO

I had my SPT modified to be 3" from the flange back to the y. Just go to the muffler shop. They had the correct flange hanging on the wall.

Cut out the old, weld in new 3" pipe and flange, even threw in a gasket. $45 and 20 minutes I was back on the road with a full 3" midpipe.

Now to do the same to my Cobb CBE.

Archived