LegacyGT.com

Windshield wiper recall?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe it's a recall to install a rear window wiper. [emoji6]

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160923/f2f9f4ef41b45e00a33ce10c509232f2.jpg

Me: Male, 29

Car: 2014 Subaru Legacy 3.6R, Venetian Red Pearl, EyeSight, usually spotless inside and out.

9/2011 some 2010 and 2011 Outback and Legacy inspect windshield wiper motor's bottom plastic cover on 195,080 cars inspect the windshield wiper motor's bottom plastic cover and replace to fix a potential overheating issue WVW32

Found this bit of info but might be a different issue.

September 23, 2016

Type: Safety

Service Campaign: WTK71

NHTSA Campaign: 16V694000

2010-2014 Legacy/Outback Windshield Wiper Motor

Description

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain 2010 - 2014 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles to replace the front windshield wiper motor bottom cover. Due to inappropriate manufacturing processes of the front windshield wiper motor bottom cover, interference between the relay joint and the worm wheel may occur. If this interference occurs and there is an obstruction in the cowl area, such as snow or ice, the wiper arms would be forced to “park” at a higher than intended position on the windshield when the windshield wipers are turned off. In such a situation, the wiper arms might continuously attempt to return to the normal park position and may cause overheating in the wiper motor bottom cover.

Safety Risk

If overheating were to occur, the windshield wipers may become inoperable, increasing the possibility of a crash, or a fire may possibly start in the bottom cover area of the wiper motor.

Remedy

The front windshield wiper motor bottom cover will be replaced at no charge to the customer. This recall replaces and updates SOA’s previous WVV-32 windshield wiper motor recall repair applicable to certain 2010-2011 Legacy and Outback models, and additional vehicles are being recalled. Vehicles previously repaired under the WVV-32 recall must also be repaired under this new recall. Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will replace the front windshield wiper bottom motor cover, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Subaru customer service at 1-800-782-2783. Subaru's number for this recall is WTK-71 Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

I know the service manager at the dealership I bought mine from personally, so I'm gonna give him a call this afternoon and see what I can sort out. Also want to run a couple of my other concerns with my drivetrain by him and see if they're worth investigating. Kill two birds with one stone.

My car is impacted, too. Bummer. Only positive thing is since the condition that leads to the issue happens right about never for me here, I am not too terribly worried about it, but will bring it in just the same.

Archived