LegacyGT.com

fog light mod help

Fog Light Mod – By John M

Fogs on with parking lights

Foglight Mod for the 2005 Subaru Legacy GT

This will allow your fog lights to be on with the parking lights, as well as with the low beams like before. This does not keep them on with high beams. That may not be possible at all because the ground for the fog light relay passes through the stalk-mounted switch, and the connection is physically broken when the lever is moved into the high beam position. This is the same as turning the fog switch off. Unless you mount a completely new foglight switch elsewhere, there will be no fogs with high beams.

I suppose you could cut the purple / light blue stripe wire (directly above the one we use pictured below) behind the relay and connect the relay-side of it to ground. The fogs would be on with parking lights, low beam, and high beam but you would be unable to turn them off.

Standard disclaimers apply! Not my fault if you break something!

Ok, on to the mod. Start by removing the panels under the steering wheel. There is a 10mm bolt under the hood release latch and a phillips screw on the other side near the console. Pull the bottom black panel off, then pull out on the trim below the steering wheel. It will snap out. Then remove the underlying metal plate which is held in with two 10mm bolts.

There are two clips holding the relay panel to the fuse panel. Press them in and slide the relay panel towards you and separate it from the fuse panel. This will allow you to access the wiring behind it.

The foglight relay is the on the bottom left. Behind the relay, you want to cut the blue/white stripe wire about 2 inches away from the relay panel. Connect your new wire to the wire coming from the relay. Tape or cap off the other side of the wire you just cut so nothing will short out.

There were 3 harnesses you disconnected when removing the trim under the steering wheel. These connected to the power mirror control, dimmer, and windshield wiper heaters. Find the blue harness and trim the black plastic wire loom back enough so you can work with the wires. Connect the wire you ran from the fog relay to the purple wire. You want to "tap into" this wire, not leaving it disconnected on either end.

Put everything back together and enjoy your new mod!

ok so i currently disabled my DRL and but lost function of my fog lights. I want independent fogs as well now, my question is... has anyone done this exact mod? because it seems way easier than the other one i found on this website... and does it work and is it safe? pleease reply anyone who's done it. thanks

Yes it has been done many, many times. You did something wrong in the wiring. The instructions you posted are not very clear. There are better instructions (with pix and schematics) posted on this forum.

Don't know about TX, but in some states you can won't pass inspection if your fogs don't turn off when you use your high beams - you can only have 4 lights on at a time.
Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

Archived