LegacyGT.com

Battery/lights issue with a 97 GT

First off, sorry about the long post. I'd try to condense it more but you never know what unexpected help can come from a random bit of information so I've included the whole story.

My car's been running great lately, no problems, but yesterday I parked it for about 20 minutes as I was getting something to eat and when I got back in it and started it up, it made a very rapid clicking noise and the engine wouldn't turn over. CD and Cassette players ejected, but worked fine when tested after. Clock worked, all the electronics seemed strong.

I noticed the rear lights and front turn signals were blinking, for an interval of about 30 seconds of blinking, 30 seconds off, even when the car was completely shut down. It was similar to the hazards being on, but much less bright. Turning on the hazards, rear lights, or a turn signal overpowered these automatic lights only in brightness - it didn't stop them from actually blinking. I later noticed that inside of the car, various things were blinking as well - the light behind the radio and clock were brightening and dimming. There was a clicking sound emitting from under the steering wheel in time with the lights, similar to the turn signal indicator but less loud. I took the hazard fuse out of the fuse box inside the engine compartment and that didn't stop the blinking.

I jump started it and it drove home for fifteen minutes in stop and go traffic without a problem. Got it home, turned it off, tried to start it again, and same problem occurred. Like there was no juice going to the actual engine, when the rest of the car's electronics were getting plenty.

Jumped it again, drove it to Advanced, had them do a battery test on it, they said the battery was dead. But the guy who was testing my car didn't know how to even open the hood up (which is pretty pitiful) and had to do the battery test three times before he got it right, so I'm not trusting them at all. Another guy there suggested it may be a wiring problem, a short or something. They offered to sell me a battery but I refused, jumped it again, and drove it home.

I was curious if the battery really was low and was just not getting enough juice to start the car whereas everything else was fine... so I turned on the high beams, all the lights, radio, etc, and waited for it to die. It took three hours. Turning the lights back off emitted the same clicking noise as trying to turn the engine over, as did anything else that used any power from the battery (locking doors, etc).

I just feel like it would've taken much less than three hours for the battery to run dead if all the interior lights, radio, high beams, lights, etc were on. Especially if the battery was dead to begin with and didn't have enough juice to start the car.

Now taking suggestions. I'm gonna pull the battery out in a few days (when I get back home) and get it tested again to see if it holds a charge. I don't wanna buy a new battery yet if it's a wiring problem that'll just kill the new one in minutes as well... anyone experienced and fixed this? Or at least, know why the lights blink like that? I googled this extensively and there's just a lot of dead ends, lots of different types of cars involved. Wanted to just check in here to ask the experts.

For the record, the battery in my car is very old (10 or 11 years IIRC), so I'm due for a new one anyway - just wanted to make sure it's safe to put it in at this point.

the blinking / flashing lights sounds like the alarm or remote entry system after a dead battery.

a bad battery connection cause the no start condition. clean and check the the battery cables.

replace the battery and then immediately have the alternator checked.

if you google ''advance auto parts discount coupons'' you can get a 25% discount on a $100 battery, or 20% off a lesser battery, by buying on line and picking up in the store. you will have to set up an account with advance auto, but that is just an email and password. or there is a ''save $35 on $85'' coupon, that is even better.

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/advanceautoparts.com

good luck.

Thanks a bunch for that, it makes sense that that'd be the alarm. That honestly hadn't occurred to me. I thought it was some cryptic warning about the battery screwing me over.

I've already talked to a buddy who's going to help me replace the battery, as for the alternator I'll just take it to my trusty Subie dealership.

That'll be like Wednesday or Friday, so until then if anyone has any more suggestion or nuggets of wisdom to offer, I'd sure appreciate it.

Just replace the 10YO dead battery. By the way, most batteries are good for about 5 years or so. Sure, some may and do last longer, but 10 years- Christ! I wouldn't bother checking, (or suspecting), the alternator since the car seems to run fine once it's started. Just do it
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived