LegacyGT.com

Driver's Window won't open - Help

The Driver's window rolled up for the last time last night. It was working fine and then it wouldn't roll down. I checked all of the other windows and they work fine. I took the master switch apart today and cleaned up all of the contacts and put it back together. I reinstalled it and nothing changed. Did the switch burn out? I'm debating whether to buy a used switch off ebay (~$50) or buy a new one (~$150). My wife thinks I should buy a new one if they're prone to burning out. What should I do? :spin:

My switch gets slightly stuck in the up position from time to time. When it is like this, you have to play with it a bit to get the window to go down.

I feel the driver switch is not the greatest master switch ever created, it depends on if you are keeping the car. If you're going to trade within the year, id grab a used one.

Do you hear a click in the fuse panel when you push the switch? It is possible the window motor died.

Had mine replaced under warranty years ago. It did the same thing as yours.

I just bought a new rear hatch mechanism for the wagon, it should be here later this week. It would lock but not unlock.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I wiggled, jiggled, flipped, smacked, and swore at the switch and it never moved the window. I just ordered a new switch from Fred Beans. $130 shipped. With the key on "Acc" I don't hear anything when I move the switch (other than the switch). I hope it's not the motor. I thought the motor had an overheat sensor?

I got a new switch from Fred Beans. I replaced it and the driver's window still doesn't go down. I double checked the motor connection too. It doesn't sound like the motor is even working when I move the switch. ARGH!

What's next? Do I replace the window motor?

Wow, then it must be the motor. I hope you saved the old door switch, can you check voltage to see if the motors getting power.

You should be able to find a local mechanic that can check voltage and tell you what is wrong before you spend more money.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What you should have done, was not jump to the conclusion that the switch was faulty. Now you are out $130 you might not have had to spend.

Pull the door card off, check to see if the motor is getting power. Continue diagnosis.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yeah. I would love to get that money back. I was hoping to do a quick swap. I don't have a lot of time now that my kid is teething (he's a fussy mess).

I've got a multimeter. I can check the voltage at the leads to the motor.

It looks like RockAuto got reman'd motors for $100. If it's the motor how much do you think I can get for this new switch?

Anyone have a diagram of the window assembly? I didn't get a good look since it's all mounted(hidden) inside the door frame.

Max, thanks for the diagrams!

It makes me wonder if replacing the window motor is something I can do? I've done brake jobs but, this seems completely different. I looks like the glass needs to be removed and there's a possibility that the window will be out of alignment?

Hopefully one of the smarter guy's will pick up on this thread soon and be able to give you some tips...

Have you posted this in the Tech forum ?

I hate to keep using him, but BAC5.2 has been a big help to me.

May be PM him.

I just checked the leads to the window motor and they're definitely getting power (+\- 12V). Both the new and the old switch work (bummer - I didn't need the new switch afterall).

I'll post to Tech and see if anyone's ever changed the window motor.

• 9 months later...
I have replaced several motors/regulators in different cars, luckly I haven't had the pleasure of doing the LGT. Most importantly and before you purchase a new motor, check the regulator and make sure it's not broken anywhere. Disconnect the motor and see if the glass will move freely up/down within the frame. I have found a few times if the regulator is broken, it could cause the glass to stick/freeze in it's location.
My wife's balls are delicious.

• 6 years later...

I just replaced the driver side switch on my Subaru and it took care of a few issues I was having with rolling down the passenger windows but the driver side is not working. The wires seem fine, no fuses blown.

Is the motor the last thing to look at or is there more to it?

Archived