LegacyGT.com

How often do you re-grease your aftermarket sway bar bushings?

JoeFromPA

Hey all,

Had my Cobb Sways on for ~6 months now IIRC. I've been getting noise from the rear for maybe 3-4 weeks when going over speed bumps and navigating parking lots, so I guess it's time to re-grease them.

I just bought a grease gun so I can just use the zerk fittings, and plan on using some nice, tacky chassis grease (albeit not as tacky as the original Cobb stuff).

Just wondering: How often do you find you need to re-grease? Is every 5-6 months about right? Was it more often for me cause I took it through a salty-briny winter?

Joe

Once a year or so. Basically when they start making noise I take time to re-grease them. This stuff seems to work awesome:

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/Energy-Suspension-Formula-5-Prelube-Bushing-Lube.asp

I put some on with my new poly bushings and they have been quiet for 6 months now.

I have the Energy bushings with the grease fittings...I just connect up the grease gun every few months and squirt away, then clean off the excess that has oozed out the sides of the fitting. Works great.

I think in rough environments, I'd do it just before winter, once during winter, and once in the spring...but that's just me. With my fittings, it's easy to do 4 or 5 times a year.

The Energy Suspension grease is best suited for this. It will last the longest and wont deteriorate the bushing like regular grease may. The Energy bushings with the grooves inside to hold grease are also IMO the best.

I have energy poly bushings that have grease fittings too on cusco sways. I usually do them once an oil change and once a year I take them off completely to clean them out. I use prothane grease from Jegs designed for poly bushings. Great stuff.

The energy suspension grease as well as the jegs prothane grease both have worked well for me on numerous bushings including the TIC Holyshift set and my swaybars. I have yet to hear anything from any of my bushings and i did the shift set last fall, sways i did about 2-3 weeks ago.

Jegs : http://www.jegs.com/p/Prothane/Prothane-Super-Grease/762176/10002/-1

energy suspension : http://www.eautoworks.com/product-Energy-Suspension-307447.htm

my plan is to do my sway bushings every 6 months or late fall and early summer intervals.

2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress

2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold

2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

R.I.P Coxx

I used the thimble full of crap that came with my AVO polys for the cusco rear bar. I will prob. go w/the Jegs when I re-lube. TBH, I prob. lubed the bushings once in the 3 years since I put the cusco rear bar on. I only bought the poly bushing b/c of the slop-n-clunk I was getting since April from the rear. Took the bar off and*** Thread-Jack*** found the Perrin solid billet-style endlinks to be completely borked! They held up for about 3 years then STB.:eek::spin: I have the MSI's up front, and stockers back on rear for now. What type of end-links are people running with their bigger bars?*** end thread-jack***.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Did people switch to talking about endlinks here? Are you guys greasing your endlinks or something?

Hehe....my car is due back from the body shop tomorrow/thursday and by the end of the weekend I plan on using those zerk fittings on the bushing straps. Looking forward to hearing the difference.

Did people switch to talking about endlinks here? Are you guys greasing your endlinks or something?

Umm yeah, the "jack" was referenced here..:p

Took the bar off and*** Thread-Jack*** found the Perrin solid billet-style endlinks to be completely borked! They held up for about 3 years then STB.:eek::spin: I have the MSI's up front, and stockers back on rear for now. What type of end-links are people running with their bigger bars?*** end thread-jack***.

Hehe....my car is due back from the body shop tomorrow/thursday and by the end of the weekend I plan on using those zerk fittings on the bushing straps. Looking forward to hearing the difference.

:p

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Didn't people see the END THREAD JACK note? I mean, do we need to debug this forum or something? :)

Dealing with body shop issues, but should be a grand time for a greasing on Sunday. :) Will report back on differences. The car definitely lets out a nice loud sqqqqueeaaakkkk when going over speed bumps.

• 2 months later...
I used the thimble full of crap that came with my AVO polys for the cusco rear bar. I will prob. go w/the Jegs when I re-lube. TBH, I prob. lubed the bushings once in the 3 years since I put the cusco rear bar on. I only bought the poly bushing b/c of the slop-n-clunk I was getting since April from the rear. Took the bar off and*** Thread-Jack*** found the Perrin solid billet-style endlinks to be completely borked! They held up for about 3 years then STB.:eek::spin: I have the MSI's up front, and stockers back on rear for now. What type of end-links are people running with their bigger bars?*** end thread-jack***.

I'm running MSI's front and rear too.

BTW, MSI has a redesigned front with the proper offset built in now, as compared to their first gen that required a retrofit spacer...

I was going to regrease my rear bushings today before taking the car in to get rustproofed but decided I would wait until spring and I'll do all four at that time (I recently re&re'd the fronts so it wasn't necessary to do those - and if anything, I think they get more exposure than the rear)

The MSI's come with Powerflex's (poly bushing manuf that MSI uses) copper impregnated grease, that looks a lot like anti-seize and I've been using that but I'm also a fan of the Energy Suspension prelube product as well -> it's pretty stiff/sticky.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Joe I know you're running Cobb Sways like me. I have some clunking..really bad..coming from the passenger rear. I have swapped endlinks twice and am now on Ralliteks. When I climbed under the car I noticed the bushings looked all caked with grime...probablt from the grease. I know you had some noise coming from the rear as well...was it clunking?

I am thinking that maybe I need to regrease the bushings. Maybe this will fix the noise? I had the sways on for about 6 months before the clunking started. Did regreasing fix it for you? Are you still using the Cobb bushings and did you pull them off, clean them and re grease?

Sorry for the many ???? but it's driving me insane. Any reccomendations on a grease gun?

Thanks in advance.

Rehab is for quitters.

I greased mine 4 years ago with MolySlide, a grease that is loaded with 60% moly (the usual moly grease at the parts store is 3-10%), and haven't had to touch them since - no noise. MolySlide is expensive ($8 for a 1 oz tube) but lubes better than anything else on the market; it's available from competition shooting suppliers (http://www.pistolgripsusa.com/Products/Neco-Moly-Slide__MS100.aspx). I initially tried the lube Whiteline shipped with my bars, but they started squeaking after a few months. Use MolySlide generously, but not excessively - the 1 oz tube should do several bars - just make sure to cover the entire surface of the bushing.

Archived