LegacyGT.com

Ebay Hid Kit

Pricci09

Hey guys, I dont really know much about hids but, I was wondering what the downside would be of purchasing a cheap ebay hid kit such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-Xenon-kit-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Loyale-Justy-Forester_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370158028266QQitemZ370158028266QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_7263wt_942

is it really worth spending $100 more on a higher quality kit?

also, what color temp do you guys recomend?

thanks!

As far as I'm concerned don't cheap out on the HIDS. I'm always reading on here of parts failing on even the mid priced kits.

I'll stick with OEM till someone comes up with a reliable kit.

The last thing I want to happen is to start my car up at night to go home and have no headlights.

Hey guys, I dont really know much about hids but, I was wondering what the downside would be of purchasing a cheap ebay hid kit such as

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-Xenon-kit-Subaru-Legacy-GT-Loyale-Justy-Forester_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a0Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem370158028266QQitemZ370158028266QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_7263wt_942

thanks!

I bought a similar kit (195.00 bucks), they have outlasted the halogens 10-1. They make your fog lights a decoration. The bulbs could have a crisper beam, but you can always upgrade bulbs later. You will be amazed at the perfromance of a 4300K kit.

Install a sub harness with a relay and fuse each balast. It will be safe.

As far as the color/temp, stick with the 4300K. The higher ones are not as white and actually reduce your light output.

I have 2 eBay kits. I've had one in my Accord for the last 2+ years. No issue, fire up everytime. I have another on my LGT. Bought them in August and in early January one of the ballasts went out. I finally got around to shipping my ballast out and am waiting on a new one to come in. They have a one year warranty so I am covered. My advice to you is give the eBay ones a shot. They are def. worth it. First kit was bought from revospec for 100 bucks 2 years ago. These are the ones on my Accord but that seller is no longer listed. On my LGT I bought them from silviamann61336. Let me tell you how my communication goes with silvia and I would tell you if I recommend them.

^^^ Agree!! I bought a set for $56 shipped. The look great, as far as light output its a little brighter then stock in my mind. Never once regretted getting them and im usually the type to spend more to get better parts. I gave them a shot because my friend bought them. So far so good, and also i dont think i could ever go back to plain halogen.

thanks!

Hi Pricci09,

I think you should have a read of the thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105017

post number #8.

I think the Legacy/Liberty model may have a susceptibility issue to lower quality HID kits, specifically the ballasts. No empirical data to support my opinion at this point, just a nose for compatibility issues.

Not trying to scare you off a bargain, just considering upgrading to HIDs myself and did some research. I would advise you choose carefully.

When you do choose a HID Kit, or if you are seriously considering one, let me know and I will try to check it's compliance with the OEM.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

thanks!

Yes it is worth it to spend more. Like anything in life you get what you pay for. I'm sure these would work, but for how long? Headlights are something you don't want to have problems with its a functioning part of the car its not like replacing the grill or something like that, its a part that needs to work. I spent 320 on my HID kit and have had no problems for over two years now also i get compliments all the time from people I tell that they are aftermarket they always tell me wow they look factory. If you're not interested in spending a lot but want good HID's i suggest this website http://www.shopxenon.com I used them for my fog lights essentially the same as headlight HID's just the bulb size is different. They were 109 dollars shipped. The only problem is the first one I ordered everything went well installed them and after about a week, the one ballast went. I contacted the company and they sent me replacement and returned the defective one. Once it was replaced the second ballast went and I again had to contact them, he sent me another replacement and since than everything has worked fine for about a year now. So like I said you get what you pay for. Luckily for me this company was really good with there customer service they shipped both replacements to me free of charge UPS overnight to take care of the problem. So I highly recommend them to anyone. As for Ebay HID's I have had two people I know get them for there cars and the car on one of my friends was fucked up it just looked light straight blue light from and LED pretty sure that illegal and the second friend we'll his didn't work anymore after about a month and he couldn't get his money back. So the decision is yours, but I recommend you spend your money wisely.

Don't forget an isolation relay harness with fused balasts getting power straight from the battery. All the good kits come with a harness, the cheapies do not. Suggest making one.

Hi GTTuner,

The isolation relay harness is a good feature in itself but for different reasons to those I was raising, and I basically agree with this concept where the current drain (electrical load) on the original circuit (wires, fuses and switches) is higher than the OEM spec. For example, if the OEM spec is for 55W globes, then all the wiring, fuses and switches will be designed for about a 4.6 ampere average load. OEM relays may be used to reduce the switching current through the cabin switches, but the full load must be carried to the globes to deliver the 55W of power needed at 12 volts.

Should one raise the load on the original harness by adding a ballast (at 85% efficiency) and the same 55W bulbs, then the circuit must be able to handle an average load of 5.3 amperes at 12 volts to cater for the power needs of the ballast and the 55W bulbs. You may be lucky enough for your OEM to have factored some additional load capcity into the harness. Some OEMs do not.

Most standard HID kits are 35W and with 85% efficiency for the ballasts you should still remain within the design limits of the original harness (approx 3.4 amperes average per 35W bulb and ballast).

However, these figures do not include startup loads which can be as high as 7 amperes. Some OEM circuits may handle the shorter duration startup load for 10 to 20 seconds, some may not and result in flickering or failure of the arc within the HID.

If you are considering to increase the power of the HID bulbs above 35W (say 55W or higher), then I would definitely use an isolation relay harness and fuses to protect the original OEM circuits from overloading.

There are also other issues for recent vehicles which have load sensing on the headlight circuits to indicate in the cabin the blown bulb condition, but that is another story.

On my original point of choosing a high quality kit, I have not yet seen any evidence of Electro Magnetic Compatibility for any HID Kits. This important for the safe operation of all the other computers and inter-computer communication in teh Legacy/Liberty as they use CAN Bus networks. These networks have proved to be susceptible to electrical noise over an extensive range of frequencies, of which ballasts operate in the middle part of the susceptibility frequency range.

The impacts could be unseen until you need something to work, like airbags, EBD, VDC, etc. If your vehicle has HID kits that are non-compliant with the EMC specs of the vehicle, then you may be unaware of the impacts until it is too late.

So, in my opinion, I will pay the extra bucks for a high quality HID Kit that meets all the vehicle EMC specs. To date there are many kits that claim EMC compliance. For this issue, which I believe could be critical, I would like to cross check the manufacturers compliance against the certification body. If that matches, then I will promote those certified HID Kits on these forums.

Kind Regards,

Mark.

Sorry but I can tell you that these may have a low price but they are not quality. Apart from just common sense that a 25$ kit where the seller still makes a profit will have crappy parts, we know who makes that kit and let's say I wouldn't put that in my car and change a part every 2 months.

Sorry but I can tell you that these may have a low price but they are not quality. Apart from just common sense that a 25$ kit where the seller still makes a profit will have crappy parts, we know who makes that kit and let's say I wouldn't put that in my car and change a part every 2 months.

Nothing against you, but I would take a chance at a $25 kit before I'd buy one for $150. The way I see it, if it's going to break its going to break. I don't care if it's made in China, Japan, or Germany, if its supposed to break it will break. I've had a set from eBay for over 2 years and those bad boys are amazing! Never had one issue with the fire up or anything.

Everyone says that Toyota and Honda are better than any American car out there. Personally, I agree and disagree. My cousin bought a brand new 2007 Honda Civic a couple years back. After the first 3 months she had taken the car back to the dealership 7 times for engine, transmission, and electrical issues. Her dad bought a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that same day. So far, not one issue.

I'm not trying to bash you but what I am saying is that it doesn't depend on where something is made or what the brand is, sometimes you get something that's just as good as the expensive stuff at a fraction of the price.

Nothing against you, but I would take a chance at a $25 kit before I'd buy one for $150. The way I see it, if it's going to break its going to break. I don't care if it's made in China, Japan, or Germany, if its supposed to break it will break. I've had a set from eBay for over 2 years and those bad boys are amazing! Never had one issue with the fire up or anything.

Everyone says that Toyota and Honda are better than any American car out there. Personally, I agree and disagree. My cousin bought a brand new 2007 Honda Civic a couple years back. After the first 3 months she had taken the car back to the dealership 7 times for engine, transmission, and electrical issues. Her dad bought a 2007 Chevy Tahoe that same day. So far, not one issue.

I'm not trying to bash you but what I am saying is that it doesn't depend on where something is made or what the brand is, sometimes you get something that's just as good as the expensive stuff at a fraction of the price.

Sure like I said whatever makes you happy. It's a free country but I will not sell a $25 HID kit that I know is crap.

Oliver

Archived