LegacyGT.com

New Hog-zawst System!!! The sound of power! *with patented washer technology*

I actually fired up the car when I was only done the one side and I really could not tell much of a difference when I fired it up after doing the second side. I'm sure it's probably a little bit louder with both sides done.

I was going to just do one side but then I felt weird, like it was wrong to not do both, so I just went ahead and did it. :)

After driving around a bit today, I'm definitely happy with it. (I used 3 washers on each bolt, both sides)

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Say what? How did you get those sweet stats? Or is g/s butt dyno numbers?

g/s is grams per second, which the ECU calculates from MAFv and a 2D scale. You can log this value in a WOT pull to redline, and you can do pulls either side of a quick mod like this one.

Power was calculated via a freeware program called Virtual Dyno which converts logs into dyno plots. There are other tools which can do the same thing.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 3 weeks later...

I joined the club! I spent all day saturday fixing my wife's jeep after her A/C compressor seized and basically caught fire. That was fun. So I decided to treat myself with some tinkering. What better thing to do than a free (already had hardware) exhaust "mod".

Ive been toying with getting muffler deletes, but wanted to make sure I liked driving my Legacy while hearing the exhaust.

So I did two washers per bolt. Might drop it to 1, but we'll see.

As you can see, my flanges are RUSTY. Huge chunks were falling off while working on this. Two of the bolts came out without too much hassle. Another sized when it was almost off, so I cut it. The last one (top driver side)...this one was a bugger. Bolt head stripped instantly. No room to turn a wrench on the nut really. Limited tools at my house so I didnt have my grinder. Finally borrowed a huge 10" grinder with a diamond blade that my neighbor uses to cut cast iron tubs in half. Got the head ground off and the bolt popped out. Check out the muffler side flange on the drivers side. Large pieces missing. Car has 140k on PA roads btw.

I wish they would have just snapped!! I was trying to snap them!

Here are pics for fun...

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130729_002_zpsd4b0d759.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130729_001_zpsef3bb9c7.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g221/jeepguy25/Subaru/WP_20130729_003_zpsa7b7b32e.jpg

And here is a quick and dirty video I made. Clips are only 30 secs long because I was MMS'ing them to my cousin at the time haha. Maybe Ill take a better one later. Start up/light accel, hard accel, and light accel with windows up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzeeqacVqic]2005 Legacy GT Limited w/ "Hogzaust Exhaust Mod" - YouTube[/ame]

I kind of love it. Im hearing a whistling at higher RPM, that can either be normal turbo car noise, or just the exhaust hitting the rusty flanges and making noise.

Either way, Im leaving it for a bit, and then going muffler delete from Nameless. Its the perfect volume for me right now. My only concern is my rusty flanges. The y-pipe side isnt as bad as the muffler side, but we'll see.

J.

im new to the subie world but don't you have to get a tune with any modification?!? or is this just for sound purposes? does it effect performance in any way good or bad? don't want any lights on or anything of that sort

I've found that 3-4 washers per bolt gets rid of the "air rushing noise" that 1-2 washers creates with the hogzaust. And it really isn't that much louder.

Just put in 4 washers per bolt last night. I noticed a nice improvement in idle, little to no change in light throttle, and when I get on it, it sounds worse. Way more whistle and it starts earlier. Im sure its the air rushing over the open flanges and hitting the washers and all. Sounds pretty ugly.

I think Im going to go back to stock, or maybe try 1 washer, and wait for a few extra bucks to get the nameless delete kit. It was fun, but its starting to sound like a leak instead of an exhaust now. Served its purpose!

J.

You may also want to ask around local muffler shops and see what they can make for you.

I had a local shop make mine. Hint buy some nice tips. Both my cars have doulbe wall tips.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just checking up for the first time in 3 months, and wanted to chime in and say that I ran with Muffler Deletes for about 1 week. Hope you don't mind a headache after you get out of the car...

For me, at least, they were WAY too loud, at all throttle levels. They just never quieted down, relentless. Headache.

Skip Them, you'll thank me.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I'm actually decent at welding exhaust. I've thought about doing it, but liked the Nameless kit for the price.

Where'd you get your double wall tips? PM me if its against the rules to post vendors..?

J.

The local Speed Shop. They can get most anything, They are about $90.00 or more for nice ones. They gave me a catalog to look thru, Specialty Automotive catalog, The wagon has Dynomax 36473, the Spec has different ones, sorry I can't remember but he look thru his books and found what I wanted, turns out he has the same one's on his pick-up.

I like to deal with with someone I can talk to and if its not right they take care of the issue right there.

When I get the wagon back home I should take a picture of the rears of both cars side by side. Both have nice tips.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Hope you don't mind a headache after you get out of the car...For me, at least, they were WAY too loud, at all throttle levels. They just never quieted down, relentless. Headache.

Is it really that much louder than the washer spacers? I might actually remove my mufflers completely and go for a short ride to see how it is. But as of now, I cant even hear my exhaust when cruising. Its only taking off from idle with that nice burble, and then the louder boxer sound at more throttle followed by the horrible annoying whistle haha.

Either way, Nameless offers a muffled version that quiets/refines the muffler delete sound some. A little more pricey, but still less than a full system.

The local Speed Shop.

I like to deal with with someone I can talk to and if its not right they take care of the issue right there.

When I get the wagon back home I should take a picture of the rears of both cars side by side. Both have nice tips.

Thanks. I agree with ya...I like buying things in person. I actually just found a "speed shop" near me. Never knew it existed. Going to check them out for some other stuff. I need some Russel fittings and braided line for my other car, and always had great luck with speed shops for that stuff. Def post some pics of the tips you used! Im still not opposed to just making my own.

J.

Deffenently take off the mufflers and drive the car, you'll like it, as long as you have the cat in the DP.

My catless wagon was to loud without mufflers.

My Spec B has stock DP, Cobb AP stage 1 and sounds great without mufflers.

I tried taking the mufflers off my car (exhaust exiting at the axleback flange); it sounded OK at low throttle. But at heavy throttle all you hear is huge gushing air of hot exhaust hitting the underbody of the car. Not a good test IMO.

So I ordered the nameless muffler deletes thinking they would sound similar to muffler off / hogzaust. Nope. Quite a bit louder (2-4x maybe?)

Those look great! My exhaust tips are saggy right now. Im not sure whats up with that. Might replace my hangers. But I imagine if I make my own deletes I can just tuck em when I build the pipes.

Im surprised the muffler deletes are so much louder than nothing at all. Im guessing with no mufflers at all, the sound just hits the ground and is absorbed by the back of the car some. And the nameless pipes act as small megaphones?

Either way, I dont know if I can go back to dead silent after doing the washer mod. Gotta have some sound.

J.

Thanks,

Exactly! have to have some sound.

I have some magna flow knocks offs on my wagon. with a stock mid pipe and catless up/dp.

It has a nice low rumble

My machine shop owner buddy comment's about from time to time. He's a V8 kind of guy but likes my wagon.

• 2 months later...