LegacyGT.com

rear lights

champagne 2.5i

Contragtulations, you have found the JDM wagon rear fog light. Now if you could find a German market one, you'd have a right and left pair! :D I wonder if there is anyone out there with the tools, skill, and willingness to modify a Legacy Sedan's trunk lid to accept a pair of those between the license plate area and the tail lights, so that the Sedan can have cool LED rear fogs too. BTW, if you are serious, King of Imports or some other JDM importer might be able to get one for you. Since you are in the US, you might want to get the left side one from Germany instead (single rear fog should be on the driver's side, closer to the road centerline.) and a rear foglight switch. It will likely require some re-wiring, as well. There is a member of the board with a German 3.0R wagon, but I forget the username. Others may know of a european source.

• 1 month later...
Just went by the my local German Subaru dealer and he said Subaru told him that he should not (could not?) install the European rear fog light on my Legacy 2.5GT Wagon. Anyone out there with any suggestions? I wanted to put the rear fog on the car as a safety issue here.

It's a rear fog light, not a reverse light (however, by the looks of it, the right 4 LED's might be white for reversing). That is one of the things I miss about my SAAB - I absolutely loved my rear fog light. I really think it is quite useful when weather conditions are crap. I would be interested in getting one of these if possible.

LEDs won't look that bright when you are that far off-axis, and they are recessed a bit as well. From the rear, they are probably at least as bright as any car sporting LED brake lights. Legally, they may not want to install a rear fog light due to loosing the second reverse light. Two may be required by law in your area, as I think it is required all over the US. Hence we don't get them. Why two reverse lights make such a huge difference over just one is a bit beyond me. The new mini only has one, though... I dunno.

I like LED brake lights but you are probably right - better just to install an aftermarket light somewhere back there. As for the mini, I thought the same thing but I noticed the very new ones have two reverse lights within the rear lights and a plug where the single light was.

• 4 weeks later...
I assume EDM get the left sided rear fog light/reverse light right? That should be an easy swap for USDM also right?? Dave PS I did a search for this cuzz on GT 4 I bought me a B Spec wagon to race, at night the rear fog light comes on (of course it's on the right side, since it's JDM) nice detail though...ohh yeah I play it in HD, NIIIICEEEE! Need to source one for the 2006's...please oh please come on 2.5T 6 speed!!!

• 2 months later...
Just found this: [url]http://www.safedrives.com/proddetail.asp?prod=PIAAdeno19153&cat=15[/url] It would be nice to integrate into the stock reverse lights or sneak it under the bumper. As I am typing this I had another thought: Wire the Third brake light to go on with Fogs?? James

I may get that and try some things out. IIRC, the stock US reverse lights are not all lit up (i.e. they have space for the rear fog light). Maybe we can take this one and disect it and place it in the stock reverse light housing. Then either set up a dedicated switch or tie into the front fog light. Given my druthers, I'd like the seperate switch as I like to have control over the front....

Here's a way to have the rear turn signals on your sedan function as rear fog lights: [URL=http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm][B][COLOR=Blue]WebElectric Products[/COLOR][/B][/URL] Click on [B][COLOR=Red]Rear Fog Lights[/COLOR][/B] from the menu options on the left side of their web page.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived