LegacyGT.com

would this work or get me jail time?

i found a jdm secound gen gt in kyoto, for 1500$ and about 1000 shipping costs. the import regs that im aware of are 25 years or older. but i happen to have a secound gen wagon and the gt is a secound gen wagon. if i was able to get it into the country could i just swap the vin and put the right glass and emissions on it and call it a day? or would this just land me in legal moose sh*t?:confused:

it would be one thing to swap the vins, all 12 of them,

and maybe get you in trouble for a car that does meet the US emissions.

but if you ever sold it and cot caught,

you could go to jail.

besides, it would be cheaper to remove the emissions from the one you have.

what does the JDM have that yours does not.?

Vin swaps can end up costing you alot. All it takes is one prick at an inspection station or a cop wanting to bust balls to go over the car and catch something not matching up. Where'd you get a shipping quote of a grand from kyoto? It's normally 3-5k for car ships.

It would be cheaper and less illegal by far to just swap in the turbo engine and what ever else you want from the jdm into a usdm and then trying to find a stand alone or a work around to keep it from coding and to pass inspection.

^^^Which is still technically illegal according to the vehicle codes....but alot less than a vin swap.

Vin swaps can end up costing you alot. All it takes is one prick at an inspection station or a cop wanting to bust balls to go over the car and catch something not matching up. Where'd you get a shipping quote of a grand from kyoto? It's normally 3-5k for car ships.

It would be cheaper and less illegal by far to just swap in the turbo engine and what ever else you want from the jdm into a usdm and then trying to find a stand alone or a work around to keep it from coding and to pass inspection.

This.

Its 1200 just from Hawaii to the west coast.

How much different are the two cars from one another?

Both 2nd Gen wags? Color? Year? On the car there are several places that the vin has small stickers on to identify the car. I don't know of any place that is that picky about all the details of your car's vin matching everything. It really is probably not that big a deal of you plan never to sell that car down the road. Is just part it out if you planned to sell it at another time.

If you get into an accident with a JDM Legacy, you are much more prone to injury. I'd just find a USDM LGT & swap everything over. The JDM Legacy does not have nearly the protective bracing in the body than the USDM Legacy does. It will crumple like an aluminium can if it were ever hit by another USDM car. It is costly, but safer to swap the parts that you need over.

. I don't know of any place that is that picky about all the details of your car's vin matching everything.

right? and my car is composed of parts from probably 20-30 different Subarus all together. I'm sure there's inadvertently a rogue vin in there somewhere...

any idea how much they want for it (is it yours?)?

i got a good deal on mine. find a rural carrier selling theirs and tell them you're a new RCA, they'll probably help you out. Of course I don't advocate lying :lol:

also check

http://www.postalclassified.com/

and

http://www.postalclassifieds.com/

If you get into an accident with a JDM Legacy, you are much more prone to injury.

And insurance fraud if one swapped VIN's and made a claim because bet your ass the adjuster and inspection would expose the import for what it is.

Archived