LegacyGT.com

Winter wheels: Steel or Alloy?

Ellesedil

I'm looking into a set of winter shoes so I can drive my LGT in some New England (and parts of Canada for one weekend) winter weather. I have a fair idea of what tires I want but can't decide what to have them mounted on.

Anyone have any suggestions on steel or alloy wheels? I'm curious to know what people chose and why.

Steel wheels do not exist for a 2005+ LGT as far as I know. As much as people lust after them, I imagine someone would have found something that works by now.

I would say buy the cheapest, not horrendous looking aluminum wheels on TireRack and be done.

Tirerack has always offered a steel wheel option for LGT's but when you try order them or even source them it turns out that they don't exist.

I did exhaustive searches for some a few years ago........NADA!!! There are lots of alloy wheels that go for about the same price anyway.

Just use your stock wheels and save up over the winter for some nice new summer wheels/tires. Worked out great for me anyway.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

I thought about going in that direction. However, I'd prefer the larger sidewalls during the winter months, so I'm thinking of dropping down to 17s to make that happen. That means the 18 inch OEMs will keep the summer rubber.

I agree with DeltaNu - I have a set of 18 inch Rota's with Continental Extreme DW's on them for 3-season driving, and put 17 inch Continental Extreme DWS's on the stock LGT 17's for the winter. So far, so great! I liked the DWS's so much, I put a set on my wife's VW Jetta TDi for all 4-seasons.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived