LegacyGT.com

We Smell Gas

We occasionally smell gas in the car, my wife says for the last week or so. A tech friend suggested to us that the fuel lines on these cars are known to crack in cold weather. Is this true?

Anyone had this problem?

Estimated cost?

Update 1/25. Lines were leaking. $500 job.

Parts replaced

442121 MFI FUEL INJECTOR DELIVERY PIPE R&R

0951BG110 HOSE FUEL

807707131 HOSE

14 0 7 5AA210 GSKT INT COLLECTOR

805913050 HOSE CLAMP 13.5

99071AC010 hose vacuum

99071AC020 HOSE VACUUM

16272AA0 01 INSULATOR AND GASKET KIT

442121 MFI FUEL INJECTOR DELIVERY PIPE R&R

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Drivers side fuel lines tighten all of the clamps, the rubber shrink in the cold and the clamps need to be tightened down. just fixed this issue myself. I plan on replaceing one line because it just looks like age has taken its toll, the one under the intake runner drivers front corner.

Been talked about here a lot, I used lock wire around that hose on either side of the clamp to stop the leak. It has been working for 2 or 3 years now.

I have posted pictures on here about it in these threads.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just for spite I would not pay them to do it, Tell them your taking the car somewhere else. It's a obvious problem that Subaru doesn't want to cover.

I guess they need to have of the car catch on fire before they will, may be admit, there may be, a possible, sometimes not to often, issue...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just for spite I would not pay them to do it, Tell them your taking the car somewhere else. It's a obvious problem that Subaru doesn't want to cover.

I guess they need to have of the car catch on fire before they will, may be admit, there may be, a possible, sometimes not to often, issue...

We are taking it somewhere else. I won't pay dealer rates anymore. It doesn't say 'stupid' on my forehead.

fuel lines that run under the intake manifold sometimes seep in the cold weather- however I heard it was a recall on bugeye wrx's...not sure about lgt

I had a bugeye before my Legacy, and even the recall for the WRX's only covered cars in 'extreme cold climates'... Alaska, Montana, ect. so don't feel too bad about paying to fix it.

No, tell your guy to wrap the hose with .041" lockwire and lockwire the hose tighter.

That's all I did, I did not replace any parts.

I'll send you the pictures when I get home.

No, tell your guy to wrap the hose with .041" lockwire and lockwire the hose tighter.

That's all I did, I did not replace any parts.

I'll send you the pictures when I get home.

It's not just the connections, the actual hoses are cracked. What a shitty design.:(

Oh that sucks. Well they remove the intake manifold to replace the hose ? If so replace the o-rings with the new bigger ones.

We'll see what they can do.

I guess I'm spoiled. In the last 15 years I've had nothing but regular service on the honda's we've owned. Always sucks to get an unexpected bill like this.

I don't believe so. I also believe you arethe first I've heard about with the hoses that have cracked. I wonder if someone has ever sprayed some type of cleaner on the engine that wasn't designed for automotive use ?

I don't believe so. I also believe you arethe first I've heard about with the hoses that have cracked. I wonder if someone has ever sprayed some type of cleaner on the engine that wasn't designed for automotive use ?

Maybe but in all my years I've never had a fuel lines crack, never mind the fact it appears to be a known issue with Subi.

Last thing I had crack with the radiator on a 92 Accord, 2 years into it's life because the part was made thinner than spec. Honda fixed it, and not a problem since - on future cars. This appears to be an ongoing issue.

More on this topic. The new lines you'd replace the lines in our gen are improved. So it's clear subaru knew that this was an issue, put us all at risk and now has fixed the problem.

However our local dealer says there is no recall and nothing they can do.

If you've had this problem, could you please PM your name/city/state/email? I am considering putting together a massive claim where we all get paid for our problems.

Our Outback stinks when it is REALLY cold out. I keep waiting for the phucker to go up in flames. No such luck yet.

This kind of problem is close to putting in bad brake lines. Companies who have this problem should be held accountable.

Everyone with this problem should be reporting it to Subaru. They are under the impression it only affected 02 and 03 WRX's however as based on the replies here it's clearly more than that.

They wont issue a recall until there are enough complaints.

Archived