LegacyGT.com

09 2.5i PZEV loss in power help

So I have a 2009 2.5i PZEV and lately I have been experiencing a weird problem. It seems to have lost power and then it kicks in around 3k rpms but then sometimes it kind of stutters. It has 78k miles on it and I recently replaced the air filter and the spark plugs were done about 10k miles ago with NGK Iridiums.

I am wondering if the fuel pump sock is clogged or losing pressure, but I couldn't find a schrader valve to hook my fuel pressure gauge to it to verify. I do know that my valve covers leak a tiny bit around the spark plug holes, but it doesn't feel like that would be the cause. I have no cel on and I have been getting around 24mpg according to the display.

Anyone have any idea on what it could be by chance? I'm going to look into it more when I get the time, but I thought I would try here first to see if anyone else has experienced this problem. Any help will be appreciated :)

I'd lean towards plug wires, MAF or knock sensor, but either of those usually trips the CEL. Maybe double check the connector at the MAF is plugged in tight and has good contact. I would think a plugged fuel filter would have a more widespread performance hit, ie: down on power all around.

I had thought about that too, but I'd think it would throw a check engine light.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, but not always. Sometimes they can get lazy and not work properly even before the CEL.

If the plugs were done one of the contacts on the wires may have been damaged and finally starting to walk itself off the plug electrode, something else to consider. Sounds like a bad O2 sensor i would replace them both when you plan to do the valve covers.

Mine didn't for a loooong time, and when it did, it was for an o2 sensor. I replaced the sensor, but when I talked to the service writer, he said that that happens fairly commonly with these. I guess it's because the factory tune screws up the cat somehow - too much fuel or something.

• 3 weeks later...

So I did the valve cover gaskets, spark plug wires, cleaned the MAF sensor, and cleaned the O2 sensors off and it's still the same, if not worse. Checked my timing belt and it looked like it was in good condition but it seemed somewhat loose. Granted I have nothing to go off because most of my cars had timing chains. I think my next step is to pull the fuel pump and check the sock and see if there's anything on it. Pretty sure my engine is in good condition because I'm not losing coolant or oil

Pulled the fuel filter and the sock looked kinda dirty. I sprayed it with brake cleaner and cleaned it the best I could. I drove it up the street and it seemed a little better, but I couldn't really get on it because I was in my neighborhood

Archived