LegacyGT.com

Symmetrical AWD Screwed Me Over... Totaled??

Coming around a maybe 10-20 degree ish turn at 40 mph (the posted speed limit) yesterday and out of nowhere the tail snaps out on me... in a Subaru... anyways, tried to recoup control but it just slid back the other side then spun me off the rode, hit a metal support cable for a telephone pole. I have michelin pilot sport a/s tires with only 10k miles on them... wth?? So what do you guys think?

on to the pics:

IMG_20120112_124416.thumb.jpg.e849d2de1e45988188f1ecd1bf0331a3.jpg

IMG_20120112_124428.thumb.jpg.6310dc0f15a5beb8f5f54dd61c8dfef2.jpg

IMG_20120112_124451.thumb.jpg.ad8caedb514441c9c8f1b9ac96d466de.jpg

IMG_20120112_141116.thumb.jpg.bd5dd2ddd28ecec669c47976b32f5689.jpg

IMG_20120112_141125.thumb.jpg.943984e3f24e9e61b3778f190cfeea70.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you ever heard of "black ice" ? may be the front tires missed the spot but the rears didn't.

You may want to have the alignment checked out by a good shop to see if something broke or is not in great shape in the rear suspension, before you drive it very far after the body shop finishes.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

my vote? lift-off oversteer, followed by exactly what whitetiger said.

That's a very good possibility.

While driving the spec in the 3/4" of slush this AM while going around curves, I kept thinking, do not lift, maintain a little loading on the suspension, keep all 4 digging for traction. Of course I was going under 30mph too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Also, thinking more about 40mph in dry, you either hit something, or you did something excessively weird that you aren't telling us. 20 degrees isn't enough even if you completely lifted and snapped it from 0 to 20 to get the rear end out I don't think.

Pretty sure the car didn't screw you over...

Without seeing under the hood, it's tough to say. I'd venture to say that it is not totaled, but it's hard to tell.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

FWIW, the LGT does not snap oversteer. the rear usually steps out in a progressive manner. either there was something slippery, or bad driving to start with. Furthermore, the fact that he had a moment where driver input caused the rear to come back the other direction shows that more bad driver input caused the fish-tailing to get worse.

conclusion - Bad driving.

• Moderators

I call BS...certain details are being omitted here me thinks. Also, don't think it was cold enough in MD last couple days to form black ice so I think that's out. Maybe nicked a bump in the road that caused the back end to 'hop' a bit (happens to me on the same off ramp every single day) and then panic/snap reactions led to ^^^

Hopefully you can get it fixed, doesn't look totaled...radiator maybe though, never good.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

it was a drizzly day here in MD. All i wanted was some input on the condition of the car. I already know that the mistake was mine, I don't need people emphasizing the fact. The situation is rough enough as it is.

Thanks,

Chris

Glad you are ok. I don't think it's totaled, but it's hard to tell without looking in the engine bay.

A similar thing happened to me about 2 years ago. It was freezing rain and high winds. I crested a hill and hit black ice. Car went sideways and kept sliding until I hit the gas. The car pulled through and fishtailed a bit but I somehow stayed on the road. If I would have hit the brakes I would have slide drivers side right into a wall of trees at ~35mph (speed limit was 50).

As crappy as the situation is...you should feel lucky that cable wasn't near your door. Those high tension cable can slice through almost anything

You suck at driving. AWD doesn't help if you're going too fast for icy conditions.

When the back end started to slide you hit the brakes. That was the wrong reaction and caused you to spin.

This was already covered. Thank you very much for the kind comment.

Also, I found this video by consumer reports. I am in no way to cover up my driver fault, I'm just sharing what I came across.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/cars/sedans--hatchbacks/subaru-legacy-2008-review/14684540001/1352465487/

Chris

The best and most experienced drivers can get into accidents. Even veteran airline pilots get into situations they did not expect and can not handle. Look at flight 587 in which an American Airline pilot snaped off the planes vertical stabilizer.

I still think every tire should be siped to achieve maximum grip, especially in black ice.

Is that even possible, unless you have studded tires ?

This is when you need to know how to drive in unsafe conditions. Slow down. Use your head. I told my son before he got his license. In bad conditions, It's about getting there, not getting there first.

Had a similiar incident in the rain turning into the suicide lane in a 4 lane highway. Kept the foot planted on the gas until it sorted out.

Insurance will cover what you have claimed with them (if you added insurance to cover mods, then yes). Your rate will reflect those parts in your policy.

You suck at driving. AWD doesn't help if you're going too fast for icy conditions.

When the back end started to slide you hit the brakes. That was the wrong reaction and caused you to spin.

Dude, if the poster has already admitted that may have contributed to the incident then there's no reason to harp on it. The poster is in touch with reality. Give him a chance to come up with a solution for himself.

Archived