LegacyGT.com

please explain the term UEL. I'm also looking for a set according to some people the EJ25 headers will apparently bolt straight on but it is my suspicion that this would apply only to the second gen EJ22 which was made from 94/5 onwards basically second and third gen legacy/ liberty.

Yeah my understanding is first gens can use the EJ25 headers (dual ports) but the way they connect to the cat's would have to be reworked by an exhaust shop. Sometime down the road we are going to buy a set and take them to the shop and see what they charge.

from what I've read, if you're going to do the whole thing custom, you can use EJ25 headers. there's ton of cheapish UEL headers on the market. the difference between the EJ25 and the EJ22 is the cat location. The EJ22 has it built into the manifold, the EJ25 has a separate second piece. If I remember correctly, the EJ22 legacys before '95 had dual-port headers. after that they started coming with single ports.

i'm documenting my exhaust build over the next couple months here if you want to follow it. Still waiting on parts to arrive

good luck!

EJ20 headers on the left (look similar to the EJ25 surprisingly)

EJ22 on the right.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/74/ej20vsej22header.jpg

Don't forget the O2 sensors mounts into the stock cat. so if you're looking to swap to an EJ25 header I'd recommend adding a bung somewhere.

please explain the term UEL. im also looking for a se taccording to some people the EJ25 headers will apparntly bolt straight on but it is my suspicion that this would appply only to the second gen EJ22 which was made from 94/5 onwards basically second and third gen leagacy/ libertys.

First gen heads were dual port. Second gen was single so they will not bolt over. third gen on is back to dual port and will bolt right up.

UEL= Un-equal length = little or no power increases over stock but more of the boxer rumble (but not with the stock muffler)

EL = Equal length = more power (not really on a N/A car though)

EJ20 headers on the left (look similar to the EJ25 surprisingly)

Not really surprising - the EJ20, EJ22 and EJ25 are essentially the same thing, major difference is the inside of the block, different bore, different stroke. But to make it easier during manufacturing a lot of the surrounding stuff is identical.

453747.png

In the event of mixing heads - you may have to watch out a bit since a 2.5 head may not work on a 2.0, but the other way around may work. You have to check the valve diameters first. Would be a bad day if you find out that the valves hits the cylinder edge or something like that during cranking.
453747.png

• 2 weeks later...
EJ22 on the right.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/74/ej20vsej22header.jpg

Don't forget the O2 sensors mounts into the stock cat. so if you're looking to swap to an EJ25 header I'd recommend adding a bung somewhere.

mine looks the same as his but i dont think it had an exhaust 02 sensor. (too early?) I'm keenly anticipating some news back from MRT over here in Melbourne. hopefully my quest for a extractors will succeed.

naturally I'll keep the community posted.

• 2 weeks later...

http://tinypic.com/r/29dd6cn/7

hi there guys i was just wondering if this header will fit onto my 1991 legacy wagon 5 speed with awd non turbo?

Subaru Impreza Header for EJ251

Application:

Impreza 2.5RS 00-04

Impreza Outback Sport 02-04

Forester 00-04

Legacy 00-04

Outback 00-04

Baja 03-04

Details: Direct bolt on for base model Imprezas. Gaskets included.

well i live in a area where there is no deq and someone told me to remove my cat conv and hollow it out i know its illegal but they dont care around here. i tried to remove it but the bolts twoard the rear end would not budge. think i need to hack off the bolts and buy new one.

Yeah. No emissions testing here either. Besides...you know how many people used to do that back in the day? It's just gonna be difficult to sell up north haha

There should be two bolts with springs on them. Hit them with a lot of PB blaster and use a rubber mallet and smack the crap out of them. Then more PB blaster....just keep doing that every half hour and they should come off. Cutting should be your last resort. And yeah, buy new ones. They'll be like $6 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived