LegacyGT.com

2008 LGT - Melting Cup holders

My center console is melting. I don't know how, or why, and the only thing I keep in there is my parking pass and sunglasses. I know the sunglasses heat up in the summer, but I dont think that they are the cause. I have tried purposely to lay them in a way where they would sit on where they melting occured but its imposible. They always fall flat. Plus the sides of the cup holer arent melted where the sunglasses would touch all the time. Any ideas???? Heres a pic.

http://www.audizine.com/gallery/data/500/7506DSC00166-2.JPG

Thanks

Carter

Looks to me like you left something made out of plastic lying there. Some plastics don't get along well with other plastics and will "melt" one or the other or both. I don't think it is related to heat. I have had this happen on more than one occassion, but not with a car interior.
It is still ugly.

wow...sorry to see that happen...I've had my "08" for a month and haven't seen any marks and i leave sunglasses and a travel coffee mug in the same place all the time. I noticed yours is a manual...any chance its a watch/bracelet mark from shifting?

stop having the chicks dig their nails into the center console........ hahahha

looks like someone took a soldering iron to them, or an object gouged them when the interior was hot

either way, take it in. maybe u can warranty it? i mean unless u knew u did it on purpose, this could be a manufacturing defect.

Have to agree with Pillboy. Some cheap phenolic plastics are incompatible - they contain solvents that attack other plastic surfaces the same way acetone melts styrofoam. The effect isn't immediate, but heat and time will both make it worse.

Paper and ceramic cups should be safe, but I keep plastic stuff out of my holders!

Sorry about that - you can try warranty, but I don't hold out much hope. They're gonna say it's your fault - that you should have known somehow, or accuse you of putting something hot on there. :mad:

Good luck with that.

Is there any plastic in the sunglasses? The mark on the left looks like it could be from the nose pieces, but those are prolly rubber...

maybe the metal is heating up the rubber/plastic pieces (that go over your ears) from the inside and the added heat is causing this reaction. I would conduct a scientific experiment.

Are they prescription sunglasses?Those marks look like those that can be caused by a magnifying glass (IE your glasses) when the sun shines just right.
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Are they prescription sunglasses?Those marks look like those that can be caused by a magnifying glass (IE your glasses) when the sun shines just right.

Nope, just standard Ray Ban I bought a few years ago. I still dont think its them though, I can't see how they would rest on the melted spots. They cant stand up on end and touch the melted places. I have tried many different ways, even with them opened the only park that touches them is the rubber part for the ears. Maybe its my ear wax?!?:)

Nope, just standard Ray Ban I bought a few years ago. I still dont think its them though, I can't see how they would rest on the melted spots. They cant stand up on end and touch the melted places. I have tried many different ways, even with them opened the only park that touches them is the rubber part for the ears. Maybe its my ear wax?!?:)

Ahhh, but the lenses are curved. Those marks look identical to the ones you can make in plastic with a magnifying glass. The sun's heat is magnified, if the glasses are just right. This would explain the groves, particularly the front mar that starts off deep and then tapers. This would be caused by the movement of the sun, thus changes the the focal length and intensity of the hot spot.

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Archived