LegacyGT.com

Help. Oil burning and found leak

Lately I've noticed that after I go for a quick drive my car starts to fill with a burning smell. Today I popped the good and smoke was coming from the turbo side of engine. Start looking deeper and I found an oil on what I believe is the up pipe. I can see the leak on the plastic shroud on the bottom and that pipe. It doesn't seem to be burning that much oil. But I can't tell because I haven't been monitoring it that well since I only drive that car maybe once a week since I'm up at school. I checked the oil but it doesn't have a burnt smell at all. Anyone know where this leak could be comin from. Or has anyone else had this problem before. The car has 123,000 on it and I have an intake exhaust and tune. Those are the only performance upgrades. Any help would e awesome. I'm trying To drive home tomorrow so I can put it on the lift at my family's shop. It's a three hour drive though and I'm a little worried on it during the drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Axel on that side is brand new and I checked the boot. Dry and still in tact. I also checked the oil filter figured maybe that came a bit loose but it's not. Had that problem before. But it's dry. Oil cooler is brand new in shows no sign of a leak either.

Could be the lower oil hose (under turbo) also. It may not be totally torn but showing signs of wear. It gets hot and has a slow leak, just replaced mine the other week due to this issue.

How many miles ? The first one on the forum, years back cracked at 185,000 miles.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

found my oil leaks. valve cover gasket, crush washer that was never put in by the dealer that sold me the car, and also they didnt properly seal the oil filter so its leaking from there as well. all should be sorted out on saturday.

Finally got my car on my lift over the weekend and turns out I have a leaky valve cover gasket as well. Seems to only leak when it is being pushed to the limit. Going to end up doing this work over the winter. Won't have enough time to do this until I am on winter break from college. Shouldn't have anything to worry about just have to monitor oil level. Thanks for your help

Can the valve cover gasket be replaced without lifting the engine?.. I have the same problem but unsure if its the cover or line on oil filter...it leaks when sitting n burns off on the exhaust.. and getting worse.. starting to leave spots in my driveway

Can the valve cover gasket be replaced without lifting the engine?.. I have the same problem but unsure if its the cover or line on oil filter...it leaks when sitting n burns off on the exhaust.. and getting worse.. starting to leave spots in my driveway
Yes.

• 3 weeks later...
My 05 LGT 5MT wagon just started doing the same thing. Strong burnt oil odor in car from heater vents while using outside air source. Certainly hope the small valve cover leak is the culprit. Does not seem to be enough to cause this much smell. Axle boot is dry as a bone and in good shape. I pulled the turbo heat shield and didnt see any signs of turbo oil lines leaking. Did have to repair a leaking coolant connection on topside of turbo. I have not seen any smoke at all. I have seen some turbo replacement videos show a ton of oil in the intercooler from a failing turbo. At 117K any chance this smell is an early warning my turbo is gonna pop? No smoke from exhaust at all.

would any of these instances somehow cause whitish/blueish smoke from the exhaust? mainly stopped in drive, like at a red light?

Yes, if you see the smoke coming out of the hood.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

My 05 LGT 5MT wagon just started doing the same thing. Strong burnt oil odor in car from heater vents while using outside air source. Certainly hope the small valve cover leak is the culprit. Does not seem to be enough to cause this much smell. Axle boot is dry as a bone and in good shape. I pulled the turbo heat shield and didnt see any signs of turbo oil lines leaking. Did have to repair a leaking coolant connection on topside of turbo. I have not seen any smoke at all. I have seen some turbo replacement videos show a ton of oil in the intercooler from a failing turbo. At 117K any chance this smell is an early warning my turbo is gonna pop? No smoke from exhaust at all.

sounds JUST like mine with the exact same symptoms and indicators. More than likely its your valve cover gasket.

I have a similar issue and before I knew I was leaking oil I accidentally let it get to a point where the motor made a slight ticking sound around 2000 rpms. So I put oil in the motor and the ticking/clicking sound went away. From the looks and sounds of my research it looks to be the valve cover gasket on the passenger side. Should I have more to worry about since it was making that ticking sound?

Getting it fixed next week. I'm just worried there might be more damage then I know of.

Any advice?

Archived