Car PC

f1anatic

Car PC Survey  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Car PC Survey

• I have a Car PC and I love it
    • I want a Car PC but I lack the know-how or the money for it
    • I gave up on Car PC: too much time/money/effort
    • Interesting concept but I chose a brand name aftermarket infotainment unit
    • A windshield mount GPS navi and an I-POd will serve me just as fine
    • FTMW: This thread delivers !

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very similar, but iG4 has 6 million POI's vs 3' 1.5 million. The text to speech is nice for the road names, quite handy in fact...

I hated the default lady voice I know on my pda I changed the voice files using TTS and it was much better.

and I can't try Ig4 on the pda because I don't have a 2GB SD card now that they got rid of the map loader program... which in really thinking about it I guess thats a good thing.. I was so pissed I had no clue I would be driving in Indiana and I got lost for about 2 hours.

I was so stressed when I almost could not get back to my hotel :spin:

what size hard drives you guys using? I picked a 60Gb but not sure if I want to go any larger.. only reason why I might go larger is I have about 30Gb worth of music.. but I wont be putting it on all at once.

I'd have to find a way to put the hard drive on some kind of shock mounts.. some roads in NYC and on the highway are just plain rough..

Oh and I was looking at this case at Mp3car.com

http://store.mp3car.com/VoomPC_2_CarPC_Enclosure_p/enc-008.htm

I have a 60gb as well. I don't have any shock mounts on mine, still works perfect (almost 6 months later).

Hey 1-3-2-4,

Tell us what car psu you end up choosing. If you look at an M1ATX, I have one laying around I'll get to ya for cheap.

Need a CarPC bezel? PM me!

I have a 60gb as well. I don't have any shock mounts on mine, still works perfect (almost 6 months later).

Hey 1-3-2-4,

Tell us what car psu you end up choosing. If you look at an M1ATX, I have one laying around I'll get to ya for cheap.

I don't know if a M1ATX would be powerful enough for the system..

Guys, you all suck when it comes to HD. You should have picked a 60 Gb hard drive like me !

My hole shit is running off a laptop which is mounted vertically thus the reading needle isn't tapping on the hard drive when going over bumps. And the laptop is encased in a ...case with foam all around. Ghetto...but does the job.

I am happy with my Carnetix PSU (1900 series I believe). Can be upgraded to have a 12 V, a 19 V and a 5 V output (separately) for up to 165 Watt (I think). I am "using" half. But the higher the wattage, the cooler it will run. I would always try and calculate (ex. laptop runs at 19 V x 3.5 Amps + monitor 12V x 2.0 Amps + USB Hub 5 V x 1.5 Amps = 98 Watts. A 100 W would be insufficient. A 120 W would be cutting close. A 150 W would be ok)

Thought you guys might be interested. :D Just installed the bezel today and watched a little scrubs. Forget to get GPS in the video and am too lazy to make and upload another one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX1B2lXLTd8]YouTube - subaru legacy carputer[/ame]

I use the lilliput 629, never had a problem (running fine since Jan. I believe?)

Also, I've glued it into 3 different bezels that I've made, disassembled it many times, soldered on the board, etc. etc.

Still works great, no issues to report.

The 700TSV is great, but I didn't see any added value for the extra $100; for me, they're both the same.

Don't read the Lilliput failure threads on mp3car.com. Bottom line, if you are careful, any screen will be fine.

As far as hard drives go, a drive that's turned on and off will not last as long as a hard drive that stays on all the time. Spin up/down cycles is like starting the car constantly. Also, temperature variations are kind of a concern.

If I were any of you, I would image the drive on a regular basis, maybe monthly or so, depending on data traffic. A good program to do so would be Norton Ghost aka ex-Drive Image 7. Also, a good idea would be to have 2 partitions: the OS and then everything else. Makes it a lot quicker if you just want to restore 10 gigs worth of OS and programs rather than 60 gigs of OS, programs, music, movies, jailbait pics and so on. Wait, did I write that? Forget I said that.

As far as hard drives go, a drive that's turned on and off will not last as long as a hard drive that stays on all the time. Spin up/down cycles is like starting the car constantly. Also, temperature variations are kind of a concern.

If I were any of you, I would image the drive on a regular basis, maybe monthly or so, depending on data traffic. A good program to do so would be Norton Ghost aka ex-Drive Image 7. Also, a good idea would be to have 2 partitions: the OS and then everything else. Makes it a lot quicker if you just want to restore 10 gigs worth of OS and programs rather than 60 gigs of OS, programs, music, movies, jailbait pics and so on. Wait, did I write that? Forget I said that.

My Western Digital 160GB drive turns on and off on it's own.. it spins down after 5 min and wont spin back up until I need something from it.. but the annoying thing is when it needs to spin back up it freezes the whole pc until it's up to speed.

Isn't that in Power Settings in the control panel?

I'm pretty sure that it's not the drive that's set to do that, it's your windows settings. It's the "Put Hard Disks to sleep after....mins" option.

I could be wrong, I'm on a Mac right now so I can't check it. But check those settings.