LegacyGT.com

BG or Amsoil for 5eat flush?

DrewLGT

my 5eat is coming up on 20k miles (about 7k at stage 2) and i'd like to get it flushed. Theres a local shop that does the BG flush for $140. I asked about bringing my own amsoil fluid, and they said it would be $80 dollars for just labor. So the question is, is the amsoil fluid worth the extra coin, or should i go with the BG fluid?

When I asked to have my 5eat flushed during a service call unrelated to the transmission, my dealer said that Subaru does not recommend a transmission flush. So they just drained it and refilled. Also the 5eat uses a fluid that is not normally available except thru the dealer (type SJ I think) although some manufacturers have been talking about selling it, so unless there is a new supply source you should really check that AMSOIL is the right one.

Take all of the above as an only semi-knowledgable ramble.

When I asked to have my 5eat flushed during a service call unrelated to the transmission, my dealer said that Subaru does not recommend a transmission flush. So they just drained it and refilled. Also the 5eat uses a fluid that is not normally available except thru the dealer (type SJ I think) although some manufacturers have been talking about selling it, so unless there is a new supply source you should really check that AMSOIL is the right one.

Take all of the above as an only semi-knowledgable ramble.

i'm sure subaru doesnt recommend a flush at 20k miles. they also dont recommend installing after maket parts that put more stress on the tranny or torque breaking. i've done both so i'm going to flush it, to be safe.

i know there are a few people running amsoil in their 5eat, and it shows it as being compatible on amsoils website.

Amsoil here, as part of my overall IPT 5EAT project. Perfect as far as I'm concerned. Besides those of us with upgraded 5EATs, another .com member, toad, who recently installed the IPT VB upgrade into his otherwise stock 5EAT, also had his fluid flushed/replaced with Amsoil. IIRC he had to almost force the dealer to use the Amsoil, even to the point of signing waiver papers. Rediculous. It's right on the Amsoil ATF container that it is compatible. No one, anywhere, has ever reported a problem directly related to Amsoil ATF to my knowledge.

Amsoil here, as part of my overall IPT 5EAT project. Perfect as far as I'm concerned. Besides those of us with upgraded 5EATs, another .com member, toad, who recently installed the IPT VB upgrade into his otherwise stock 5EAT, also had his fluid flushed/replaced with Amsoil. IIRC he had to almost force the dealer to use the Amsoil, even to the point of signing waiver papers. Rediculous. It's right on the Amsoil ATF container that it is compatible. No one, anywhere, has ever reported a problem directly related to Amsoil ATF to my knowledge.

i never doubted it was safe, but do you personally believe its worth the extra coin compared to BG fluid?

$60 for 12 qt. oem fluid+bg add. sounds pretty cheap...how much more is it going to be for the synth? my first bg flush was about $150, but i think my most recent last month tallied quite a bit higher than that (closer to 175, maybe). i've been on that @ stg2+ for about 25k.

it's only worth the coin if you believe it will help secure your trans -- really, i don't think you're going to find anyone here who follows 5eat history to misinform you that amsoil will protect your oe trans some great degree better than bg+oem from any severe duty it may encounter or doom it may face from previous thrashings. there are a few famous 5eats that went down despite being full of synth. i imagine you should generally kill some heat with it, but it's proven to not be a magic bullet.

either way, hopefully you are prepared for the worst, as tq br(e)aking the oe 5eat, effectively burning the friction off the clutch packs does in fact seem to overwhelmingly be the most common denom in failures.

best luck with the decision.

$60 for 12 qt. oem fluid+bg add. sounds pretty cheap...how much more is it going to be for the synth? my first bg flush was about $150, but i think my most recent last month tallied quite a bit higher than that (closer to 175, maybe). i've been on that @ stg2+ for about 25k.

it's only worth the coin if you believe it will help secure your trans -- really, i don't think you're going to find anyone here who follows 5eat history to misinform you that amsoil will protect your oe trans some great degree better than bg+oem from any severe duty it may encounter or doom it may face from previous thrashings. there are a few famous 5eats that went down despite being full of synth. i imagine you should generally kill some heat with it, but it's proven to not be a magic bullet.

either way, hopefully you are prepared for the worst, as tq br(e)aking the oe 5eat, effectively burning the friction off the clutch packs does in fact seem to overwhelmingly be the most common denom in failures.

best luck with the decision.

the price i was given was a flush using bg fluid i believe. i cant really justify spending so much more on the amsoil i guess, but should i use subru fluid over the bg fluid?:confused::confused:

it doesnt say on the page that idemitsu for the 5eat is a fluid it supports. i know the nissan fluid is very similiar but that worries me

Not to worry, it is compatible. The Nissan fluid is the same as the Indemitsu.

• 1 year later...
Are you guys nut?

Did u even read on the label of AMSOIL ATF and BG ATF that said "DO NOT RECOMMEND TO USE IN CVT TRANSMISSION"???

Do your car a favor, get it IDEMITSU ATF or OEM SUBARU ATF.

www.fredbeans.com

here you go, if you dont know what I am talking about

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/servlet/the-1379/Subaru-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/Detail

Are you guys nut?

Did u even read on the label of AMSOIL ATF and BG ATF that said "DO NOT RECOMMEND TO USE IN CVT TRANSMISSION"???

www.fredbeans.com

What are you talking about? Everyone is talkin about the 5eat which is not a CVT. The CVT is for the 5th Gen legacy.

Thread revival. Nice job. 1.5 years later.

I honestly don't understand automatic trans flushes. Just drain and re-fill a few times on a regular schedule. Flush, maybe, if the trans fluid has been in there for 100k and looks like brown goop.

Are you guys nut?

www.fredbeans.com

Way to go, rookie. This thread dates back when there was no CVT in sight and as such nobody was talking about this type of transmission. Except for you :lol: Even the thread title says so.

Archived