LegacyGT.com

Brake upgrade?

I didn't get much response on the brakes forum... Any 'low cost' upgrades to the stock brakes on '03 Legacy L wagon w/AT? It currently has 2 piston calipers on front, single in rear and 16 inch wheels (all of which I'm pretty sure are original). Over the last few years I've replaced master cyl, rebuilt all calipers, installed new flexible lines, etc. and still the brakes do not feel very good. They are a little squishy (I have bled them 3 times since new flex lines) and just seem wimpier than the stock brakes on my '02 OB (5 speed). I don't think the OB rotors or calipers are any larger so I'm not sure why this would be. I'm using medium grade semi-metallic pads from Autozone on both cars. Is there a bolt on upgrade in the form of used Subaru brakes from another model that would improve things (street driving only)?

My personal set up is 05+ GT vented brakes, calipers, stoptec pads, braided lines f/r. Very meaty and hard gripping. I've experienced a bit of tire scrub on hard turns with hard braking though. However, I don't know if they would clear on the stock 16s. I'm running Spec B 18" wheels from the same car I ripped the brakes off of.

My personal set up is 05+ GT vented brakes, calipers, stoptec pads, braided lines f/r. Very meaty and hard gripping. I've experienced a bit of tire scrub on hard turns with hard braking though. However, I don't know if they would clear on the stock 16s. I'm running Spec B 18" wheels from the same car I ripped the brakes off of.

The Legacy GT brakes do not fit under 16 inch rims. It's why the 05+ Outbacks came with the smaller Legacy brakes (ability to run 16s if needed)

i recommend goodridge stainless lines (~$120) and stoptech race pads (under $100 front + rear total). just make sure you've properly flushed the fluid from air. you could upgrade to larger brakes or get 4/2 pots for a bit more performance, but honestly you can do fine with the legacy's stock stuff (its already as big as 02-05 wrx)

Archived