LegacyGT.com

Who has the most miles on their LGT, and how are they holding up? - Vol-2

My gf isn't as OK with the smells as I am. Burning gear oil on one side of the trans and grease on the other, plus the occasional clutch and aftermarket exhaust smells. Not her favorite car to be in during the winter, IDGAF..

Boot's torn completely around the largest ring, grease everywhere.. yay!

Same here. Was freaking out thinking I had an oil leak and it was burning off (new shortblock just recently). Relieved and aggravated at the same time that it's the boot. Just got a rebuild kit in the mail from heuberger. Think it was about $60 and came with the boot, both clamps, some o ring, and a bag o grease. dreading actually doing it. Popping the ball joint is probably going to be miserable on a New England driven car. :spin:

Edited by ktm200

Only thing is, a new axle is very similar in price to an axle reboot, and the work is easier. When my right boot cracked 44k miles ago I just replaced the axle and a new OEM seal.

My seal started a tiny leak again within a year, probably bc the shop I used manhandled it in there. They also declined my request to redo the work at a discount, which I didn't love. I've been dealing with it since.

Edited by BoozeRS05

Am I missing something? Rebuild kit was $60, I looked up axle prices to save the headache, those were just shy of $400. Even the half axle was $200.

Yep,

That's a new OEM axle, dealers have reman's that will fit a GT but Subaru won't allow them to sell a GT owner a OEM reman.

See the Vendor link sticky http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243.html

around post 160 we talk about those.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well jeeze now I feel like a real idiot haha. Thought the $60 was a good deal. Good to know for when the drivers side fails. I actually came across the 2.5i temanufactured units but had no idea they were the same for the GT. Thanks. Edited by ktm200

Yep,

That's a new OEM axle, dealers have reman's that will fit a GT but Subaru won't allow them to sell a GT owner a OEM reman.

See the Vendor link sticky http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243.html

around post 160 we talk about those.

:confused: My dealer has no problem selling me remans for a GT. I will have to ask about this next time im in there.

Re-man axles are kind of a crap shoot. Convenient, but I'd rather go the rebuild route. I guess I'm old-fashioned that way.

I like rebuilding as well, however isnt re-man 'supposed' to be an even better rebuild? Saving time is a bonus :lol: I wouldnt go non-OEM reman, but aside from doing it yourself if time allows - why is a rebuild less of a crap shoot then reman?

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

I wouldnt go non-OEM reman, but aside from doing it yourself if time allows - why is a rebuild less of a crap shoot then reman?

Most people will go non-oem reman and complain about vibration or stuff like that. But if it is OEM reman, then it should be ok IMO.

...I wouldnt go non-OEM reman, but aside from doing it yourself if time allows - why is a rebuild less of a crap shoot then reman?
I admit it's a preference thing. Why does Subaru not want to sell re-man axles for the GT? That made me wonder. I think it is better to retain all the parts you know are working and only replace the parts that have worn out. I believe Subaru is reselling re-man axles done by somebody else, it's not the same quality as OEM from the factory.

Why does Subaru not want to sell re-man axles for the GT?

Are they the same part number from factory? Are there different rebuild kits? It just doesnt make sense. I've talked to the dealer about remans for my GT and it was never an issue - most of them drive turbos and have replaced axles without problem. Then again i've read about green and gold nuts for axles and that they have different torque values, but the dealer had never heard of that - any truth to that? Maybe that has something to do with this turbo/non-turbo axle conundrum?

05' LGT, ZFD Built 5MT, Stage 2 Cryotune 91/E85, 170,000mi running BRotella T6 and Ecoguard S4615 filters.

I've had a reman axle in mine for 44k miles without issue. No idea on brand though.

I think a lot of reman axles are great. But the quality control on them is crap, so it's just a bit of a crap shoot.

IIRC I have over 100k on my rear NAPA axles.:cool:

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Oh, no! Sorry to hear that. Did you have any warning?

Yes, increased/sporadic oil consumption.

The car went from consuming .5qt to 1.5qt per 1000 miles. This happened pretty quickly. Maybe within 5k miles, which is 2 months for me. It ran great until the end. The motor doesn't owe me a dime, as far as I'm concerned.

Rod knock is quiet but obvious, right around 3000 RPM under light or lifting throttle. Flickering oil light at idle when I pulled over after hearing the knock. I only saw the oil light for a few seconds before shutting her down.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Are they the same part number from factory? Are there different rebuild kits? It just doesnt make sense. I've talked to the dealer about remans for my GT and it was never an issue - most of them drive turbos and have replaced axles without problem. Then again i've read about green and gold nuts for axles and that they have different torque values, but the dealer had never heard of that - any truth to that? Maybe that has something to do with this turbo/non-turbo axle conundrum?

In this thread, post 165, there is some explanation:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/oem-online-subaru-parts-vendors-list-42243p5.html

There is just a note in the parts database -- no reason given, though, AFAIK.