LegacyGT.com

Stock Clutch TQ/HP capacity

liquid167

I picked up a used 05 legacy gt 56xxx miles from a dealership they said they put a brand new clutch in it. It feels like garbage new but garbage i broke it in nice for almost a thousand miles raced around a little with it went stage 1 feels a little weird but anyways i tried to research could find to much. I'm looking to see if anyone has any knowledge on the torque/horsepower capacity to the wheels. I want to do a bunch of upgrades but it depends if i have to change the clutch. Does anybody know would the stock clutch hold around 350-370 wheel torque/horsepower (VF52 or bigger) please give me real responses. If not than would it hold at least 320-340 wheel torque? (stock VF-40)

you will start to see slippage at that range... And likely well before.

My buddy has about 350/360 on his 5mt stock clutch. It slips when abused. Badly. And that clutch only had about 10k on it.

ANything north of stage 2 (250 ish to the wheels) is asking for trouble. For some people, stage 2 power gives the clutch some problems. Likely coupled with age and driving style.

With all that being said, if you dont drop the clutch alot, or really hammer it often, you can get by for a while.

Rule of thumb is , if your going above stage 2 power, budget for a clutch. So... with that being said, plan for a clutch based on the limited info/expectations in your OP.

IMO the stock clutch is junk.

You'll be fine for a little while, just don't back up in wet snow. All 3 of my GT's would smoke the clutch doing that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

HAHa yea thats would i figured a dual mass flywheel with a light clutch sounds like garbage i asked them 56xxx miles?? and a new clutch?? my 02 wrx had stock clutch till like 115000 miles!! Thank you all very much for your great responses in giving me an idea.. i do have the budget aside for a clutch if needed.

Archived