lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So I just purchased a set of bilstein HD struts/shocks and a set of H&R springs for my spec b. Does anyone have this setup? And do you like it? Also pics if you have. I really wanted to go with Epic, but could not find them anywhere. So I emailed Epic and they wrote back, saying " they were in the middle of gauging interest right now and I'll let you know if anything changes". So that's good news if they start making them again! But I couldn't wait any longer and pulled the trigger with the H&R springs. I hope I made a good choice. Edited by Subyspec-b

Wow I just went through all 81 pages. I've even inquired with some vendors.

07 Legacy Wagon GT

Goal: Near OEM ride height (+/- 0.5" of ride height forgiveness) while retaining a stiffer overall suspension setup.

From what I've read:

1. Go with H&R Sport springs with KyBs

2. Go with H&R Sport springs with Konis

If choosing 1 or 2, use a 3/8 or taller lift spacer for the rear. Using 1 or 2 leaves the option for using aftermarket anti-roll bars as well.

3. If baller status, go with Feal Coilovers with full suspension height available.

4. Go with Rallitek springs w/KYBs

If going 3 or 4, lift spacer not required, but aftermarket anti-roll bars are NOT recommended with the Rallitek springs.

All setups should allow for 18 x 8 wheels without fender rolling.

It took me A LOT of sorting just to find proper ride height photos.

Edited by R32

Wow I just went through all 81 pages. I've even inquired with some vendors.

07 Legacy Wagon GT

Goal: Near OEM ride height (+/- 0.5" of ride height forgiveness) while retaining a stiffer overall suspension setup.

From what I've read:

1. Go with H&R Sport springs with KyBs

2. Go with H&R Sport springs with Konis

If choosing 1 or 2, use a 3/8 or taller lift spacer for the rear. Using 1 or 2 leaves the option for using aftermarket anti-roll bars as well.

3. If baller status, go with Feal Coilovers with full suspension height available.

4. Go with Rallitek springs w/KYBs

If going 3 or 4, lift spacer not required, but aftermarket anti-roll bars are NOT recommended with the Rallitek springs.

All setups should allow for 18 x 8 wheels without fender rolling.

It took me A LOT of sorting just to find proper ride height photos.

Why feal coilovers? Theres a thread on here basically saying theyre the same crap as bc, isc, ect.. if youre going coils it seems the good choice would be something like kw v2. But still coils are overkill if you just want a stiffer ride for street use.

IMO out of all these options hr springs with konis is your best bet. I would say get epic engineering springs or eibach pro kit springs but good luck finding those.

I went with progress lowering springs and kyb gr2 struts a month or so ago. The springs are great, you feel everything and the handling is much more neutral than stock. I live in michigan so the roads are crap, and although you feel most of the imperfections in the road, the ride isnt jarring. Ive never had a passenger complain. Really my only complaint, which isnt even a complaint about them, is that the bottom coils of the springs will make contact with each other and you can hear it sometimes. You can just coat the bottom coils in rubber to avoid this or get something like the rubber sleeves tien makes. I just let it be and everything is fine. i only notice it with the radio off and windows down while driving at low speeds.

I am not as happy with the kyb gr2 struts. I wish i had gone with koni because these struts just dont feel like a good pair with lowering springs. Im no suspension expert but these struts feel under dampened like they cant keep up with the springs. usually it isnt an issue but if youre attacking a corner and hit a pavement change or bumpy section it doesnt stay as planted as it should.

Feal coilovers were recommended by a local shop.

Another recommendation was scale coilovers with lift spacers at all four corners. But I have no clue on the general performance of scale coilovers.

My gut is to stick with a strut spring combo and use lift spacers at all four corners. 1" rear, 1/4" front.

I wish I could test my tire/kyb GR2/ Tien S tech combo however I never got to test it on a little rougher road yet.. in about 5 weeks or so the car will be drivable again.

But the very short time I had it it felt somewhat stock like.. it's hard to say since the PO had cut the springs so it was a HUGE improvement.. and I know at least one of the coils in the rear broke.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just some insight from my setup...

20532188588_9d114cfb9b_b.jpg

20532109550_84ca2823d5_b.jpg

New suspension setup:

JDM Spec B bilsteins all around

-Fronts on LGT specific swift sedan springs (corrects front ride height)

-Rears on OEM JDM springs (stiff like the swifts) and 3/8ths Subtle spacers/extended lugs to correct rear ride height.

Overall it rides firmer but not harshly, like some setups do that ive been through on my other subarus. Theres about a 2-finger gap on each wheel still, measuring 25.5" from top of fender to ground in front and 26" from fender to ground in the rear. It was about 27-27.5 before all of this all around.

Please note, this is on a 2.5i model, not a GT. I dont think these modifications are required on other LGT or Spec B (US) models to make JDM spec B suspension work due to the fact that those models are heavier with bigger motors/transmissions, compressing the suspension, esp in front, a little more. The issue with my 2.5i with the Spec B stuff was that it rode really high in the front because of the lack of a larger motor/6spd pushing down on it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
OK. Brand new forum guy also brand new to Asheville, NC. Anyone know of any action: clubs, good performance shops, autocross in this region? Next, suspension questions. And yes, I've already read most of the suspension comments. The recommendations for springs, bars, struts & braces are right on. But I didn't find anything about my specific question. Past experience: When I did my 69 BMW 2002, I was well taught & supervised, and did the whole nine yards. Plus a major league motor (150hp vs 110 stock). Then everything else started breaking! Turns out old 2002s aren't overbuilt like old American cars, so I had to put in a strut brace because my windshield kept popping out, all new bushings, box out the crossmember & control arms, hardened halfshaft bolts, etc. So the question is, how well do the other parts in a 2005 LGT hold up when you start messing around with performance suspension pieces? I'm hesitant to do the springs because of this question. How do the bushings, steering gear, top hats, (front sway bar mount?) etc. hold up? And what does anyone think about just doing good struts, a front strut brace & good adjustable bars on both ends? If that works, my main problem is that all of the high performance end links I found say, even if they are adjustable, that they are sized for lowered cars. Anyone know of any good end links of stock length? OK, congratulations if you made it through this monologue! And any feedback would be gratefully appreciated, as I am dying to pull the trigger & get the beast to go around corners like a real car. If there are already any posts about these issues, could someone maybe point me to them. Thank you all repeatedly, and happy handling to you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
hello friends Im going to swap out my stock struts for koni sports but I want to go with the Sti pink springs route part#st2033021000 for the front and #2038021010 for the rear. just wondering if anyone has run this combo on their car and if you could help in locating springs. I want to lower the car max 1 inch preferred .5 inch and for the car to have a slightly more aggressive ride from stock. any help would be greatly appreciated even if its a point in the right direction.